Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pull down blinds! Help!

Scashman

Scashman

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there,

We have a 2010 Cali that we bought from someone on this forum a couple of years ago. The kitchen blind and the one opposite pop back up again. It's really annoying filling the kettle with water and balancing in on the small handle and still pops up again if someone moves during the night.

As we are well out of warranty, is there a fix that anyone knows about without the huge expense of replacing both of them?

Thanks in advance
Sean

Given the possible cost to pay for a fix I would look and see if you can fix with something like sticky backed Velcro 1st

Yep, just had almost 3 weeks going round France and every day tried a different Velcro configuration, but it just didn't work! Resorted to sleeping with blinds up, and drinking more wine.

Could be worth getting some goodwill from VW as it is a known fault with the blinds, my 2010 had exactly the same problem and two were replaced under warranty.

Everyone one of our blinds has done this for a couple of years.
We just make a wedge for each blind out of a piece of paper folded over a few times and jam it in when the blind's down (between the plastic bit on the blind and the blind runner). Works fine and the paper wedge usually stays in place til the next time.
Take it back to VW and seek goodwill? :veryfunny

Hi barry, yep, that seems to work, but bit annoying to say the least. We did speak to VW last year about it and they just said no, but I didn't realise it was a known fault?

Any idea how common it is? If I e some idea of how often they need fixing I'm happy to argue the toss and see what happens?

While I'm at it, where on the forum do I ask about rattly table when driving, and really irritating squeak coming from somewhere near drivers ceiling grab handle (and what's that called?)?

Had mine done on a 2010 van the kitchen blind kept creeping up.
Only problem was they had to remove the wardrobe and they caused
More da

And did you manage to get it done out of warranty too?

Although very irritating for a car in this price-range, we have resided to wedging a match between blind and blindframe: it does the trick!

No it was within warranty but if i had my time again i dont think i would have bothered
Thank God you're alright Kev I thought you'd died halfway through your last post!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Had mine done on a 2010 van the kitchen blind kept creeping up.
Only problem was they had to remove the wardrobe and they caused
More da
Lol i see what you mean. No very much alive:thumb:bananadance

This happened on our sliding door blind. It is basically fair wear and tear and I doubt VW will be be making any offers on a 2010 van.

I used a pair of thin nosed pliers and gently squeezed the outside of the aluminum track that sits under the plastic trim together at the bottom 1/2 inch of the track. This made it grip the plastic bar at the bottom of the blind tighter as it travels down. The friction holds it down. This is not a perfect fix by any means, but works well enough for us and is cheaper than a complete new fitting.

Be careful, as it only needs a little adjustment.

Alan

Thank you Alan - that sounds like a plan, will give this a go.

I'm not sure if it's really fair wear and tear, I've velux blackout blinds that have opened and closed every day and night for 15 years. For a few weeks a year of use I think the blinds should work faultlessly for the life of the van - it's perhaps that they have been made too complicated and therefore a bit fragile, not really up to the job. They should perhaps work more like the rear window blind

Common problem I think, at least some of my blinds have always done this. Adhesive pads have kind of worked for me but I like the suggestion by AlanC and may try this. I made the mistake of lubricating them to reduce wear many years ago; I don't think this helped!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had same prob with our 2011 Cali on sliding door blind.
Ours was stuck and difficult to raise.
VW said they would replace. When I got it back, they hadn't replaced it at all, they just put oil on the wires/runners! I knew they hadn't replaced the blind because I still had a known mark on the blind when rolled down.
Common sense was not this VW garage's strong point.
The blind then wouldn't stay down. Luckily got it replaced under warranty at the time, but wedging a bit of card kind of helped.
Only word of advice is that the trim never seems to go back quite right when the blind is replaced... Could try a small amount of chalk not the runners/wires as this may help provide some grip? Haven't tried this myself. Just a thought...

We had our sliding door blind replaced under warranty when it got stiff and became difficult to use. I know they replaced it because they broke one of the surrounding trims and said nothing hoping I wouldn't notice! Hate it when garages do that, meant another 100 mile round trip to get that replaced grrr...
Once out of warranty it did the same again so sorted it myself with a bit of furniture polish. So now it is reluctant to stay down.
I've discovered that if you hold it down for a few seconds before letting go it will stay in position so always worth a try for others with slippy blinds perhaps?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

The blind system seems to work on friction, so applying any form of lubrication is not going to be helpful.

Alan

Good morning all.
I am going to have a go at repairing the blind myself. Has anyone successfully removed and replaced the trims?
Does anyone have a parts diagram?
Rob

While I'm at it, where on the forum do I ask about rattly table when driving, and really irritating squeak coming from somewhere near drivers ceiling grab handle (and what's that called?)?

The rattly table fix is a couple of tea towels.

I have bright orange ones, brighten up the interior when matched with my quality blue rear seat cover (micro fibre bath towel), wedged between rear seat squab and table is excellent at rattle diminution.

The rattly table fix is a couple of tea towels.

I have bright orange ones, brighten up the interior when matched with my quality blue rear seat cover (micro fibre bath towel), wedged between rear seat squab and table is excellent at rattle diminution.

Are you sure you are engaging the large "pin" into the hole to secure the table in the stowed position?

Are you sure you are engaging the large "pin" into the hole to secure the table in the stowed position?

Engaging this pin is essential for a rattle-free ride. If it's engaged and there's still a rattle, then something is broken or worn out somewhere. jmtw

Back