Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Puncture, spare wheel and steering

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just returned from VW at Llandudno Junction running on the spare wheel. I booked in this morning and left camper for them to repair rear driver side (right hand side) slow puncture I got when returning from Dorset meet. A long nail was found just on the sidewall and a slight egg bulge in the wall. No argument in requiring a new tyre on a 1600 mile vehicle :talktothehand 235/55 R17 103V will cost 150£ inc VAT, fitting etc.
Above just to put folk in picture.
With the steel spare on 17" tyres I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly offset from centre (steering wheel dropped to the left) when driving straight. The spare pressure is at 2.9bar but I keep other rear tyre at 3.1bar.
Qn: Would the tyre pressure difference or the steel spare account for this? I thought maybe as it is a 4Motion this would have an effect. If not has the garage done something to the steering?

Many thanks for any of your thoughts.

Last edited:
Just returned from VW at Llandudno Junction running on the spare wheel. I booked in this morning and left camper for them to repair rear driver side (right hand side) slow puncture I got when returning from Dorset meet. A long nail was found just on the sidewall and a slight egg bulge in the wall. No argument in requiring a new tyre on a 1600 mile vehicle :talktothehand. 235/55 R17 103V will cost 150£ inc Vat fitting etc.
With the steel spare on 17" tyres I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly offset from centre (steering wheel dropped to the left) when driving straight. The pressure is at 2.9bar but I keep other rear tyre at 3.1bar.
Qn: Would the tyre pressure or the steel spare account for this? I thought maybe as it is a 4Motion this would have an effect. If not has the garage done something to the steering?

Tyres on the same axle should be at the same pressure and the correct pressure. If they are not then you will alter the steering characteristics.

Why did you have the pressure so low on the spare?

I normally keep the spare at 50 psi, and run the fronts at 44 psi. So if I have to use the spare it should be at a higher pressure so just needs to be dropped to match, Front or Rear pressures. Easier than pumping up instead.

Thanks WG. This was the spare tyre pressure left to me by the garage mechanic; it was only when I arrived home that I noticed the pressure was different. I will re-set all front and rear tyre pressures before I go back to get the new tyre fitted on Tuesday. I hope no damaged has been done to the alignment dynamics with the thirty miles I have driven on the journey home from Llandudno Junction?

Good tip about keeping the spare higher; I will also re-set spare above max psi required when I put the new tyre on.

Do you have tyre insurance? Just wondering why you would go to a dealership to sort out a puncture?

Just returned from VW at Llandudno Junction running on the spare wheel. I booked in this morning and left camper for them to repair rear driver side (right hand side) slow puncture I got when returning from Dorset meet. A long nail was found just on the sidewall and a slight egg bulge in the wall. No argument in requiring a new tyre on a 1600 mile vehicle :talktothehand 235/55 R17 103V will cost 150£ inc VAT, fitting etc.
With the steel spare on 17" tyres I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly offset from centre (steering wheel dropped to the left) when driving straight. The spare pressure is at 2.9bar but I keep other rear tyre at 3.1bar.
Qn: Would the tyre pressure difference or the steel spare account for this? I thought maybe as it is a 4Motion this would have an effect. If not has the garage done something to the steering?

Must have passed each other, we were there 4:30 - 5:30; drinking coffee in the showroom!

Do you have tyre insurance? Just wondering why you would go to a dealership to sort out a puncture?
I wanted the van centre to check out the misaligned rear door cards. The van is April 17 manufacture bought as 60 mile demo from Preston/Lancashire VW centre, and suspiciously, another CC Club member had exact same issue with their door card on similar heritage model. The mechanic, yesterday, said it was a card that had been removed and misaligned on its return; he noted that a rear dash camera had been fitted and fitting of this has been responsible. But as card never removed for fitting... I expect trouble ahead.

Back