Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Query on European breakdown cover

SailSki

SailSki

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello all,
I recently joined and really appreciate all the feedback on the forum.
Currently deciding between buying a new 199 Ocean 4motion or buying a VW dealer’s 2016 204 4motion.
I spend quite a bit of time in Europe and looking for decent and flexible European breakdown cover. My normal car insurer NFU Mutual are very good but their breakdown cover is only for 30 days at a time in Europe or they “may be able” to provide an annual policy.
Any recommendations gratefully received.

New UK Calis come with 3 years of VW Assist for free. This has European cover, and I don't believe that there are any limits on the length of overseas stay. https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/roadside-assistance.html#

I think that any repairs that VW do when you are overseas after year 2 have to be paid in advance and then you can reclaim the costs from VW UK through a UK dealer. That's because the Euro warranty is only for two years and VW UK add an extra year on top.

One of the advantages of Safeguard Insurance is that it includes European cover and has no limits on how long you stay. UK included. They are geared up for campervans and larger motorhomes.
Now that I'm approaching the 2 year old point this could save any potential issues with the European 2 year warranty cover.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. Took the plunge on the used one and pushing to pick up this Saturday....

I’ve used VW Assistance for a few years and I did use it this year and it was excellent. In fact, I doubt it could be improved upon.
You’d need to check the terms and conditions re spending lots of time in Europe.

If you use the warranty abroad in the third year as already mentioned you pay and claim it back in the UK. What you have to do is get a copy of the foreign invoice to a UK dealer within fourteen days of its date. Ridiculous situation so the best way is to get the repairer to make sure it's emailed to the UK straight away.

Hi, I was wondering if you have heard of European breakdown cover for trips > 90 days abroad?
For example for a trip UK-> Spain (3months) -> France (3months) -> back to UK

VW Roadside assistance seems to be limited to 90-days journey https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/i...gb/downloads/roadside_assistance_handbook.pdf

Just found that NationWide is doing trip of 180 days:
"Trip a pre-booked continuous journey to the countries as specified within the geographical limits of Section 3D (UK & European Assist) which begins and ends in the UK and which does not exceed 180 days in total during a 12 month period"
(https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/medi..._Breakdown_and_Recovery_Assistance_Policy.pdf)

Comfort Insurance used to offer long term European breakdown cover alongside their insurance. I don't know if the two were tied, or if they still do it.

Post Brexit you can only spend 90 days in The EU during any 180 day period.

I had recent quote for insurance from AIB who said they give 240 days cover.

Safequard give 90 days max on one trip and as many trips as required with that max 90.
Normally I do 6 or 7 trips per year with their cover. They also include breakdown and recovery.

Last edited:
Post Brexit you can only spend 90 days in The EU during any 190 day period.

I had recent quote for insurance from AIB who said they give 240 days cover.

Safequard give 90 days max on one trip and as many trips as required with that max 90.
Normally I do 6 or 7 trips per year with their cover. They also include breakdown and recovery.
Oh I thought it was 90 days in a specific european country therefore you could do 90 days in Spain then 90 in France.
At the same time of being a UK resident, I am french so I hope I can spend as much time I want if I go back to france? But yes I should check :-D

Yes I got 270days from AIB but I did take the Breakdown option (it was "only" 90 day long if I remember correctly).

I just checked and Nationwide gives you up to 180days with the Flexiplus account. I will continue looking a bit.

There is something called a Reciprocal Agreement. I know the USA and France have this arrangement, not sure about the UK post-Brexit. Under the agreement its possible to travel in any Schengen Zone country for the usual 90 days, then spend the next 90 days in France. The only caveat is that you cannot travel to any other Schengen country during the 2nd 90 days. The restrictions are then lifted allowing free travel again. And it then repeats. There may be some additional requirements like only exiting via a non-Schengen country (UK?).
This arrangement is available for US citizens, and is something I will look into as the Autumn approaches when I take delivery of my Cali. I have dual US/UK citizenship so hopefully I can use that to my advantage.

Oh I thought it was 90 days in a specific european country therefore you could do 90 days in Spain then 90 in France.
At the same time of being a UK resident, I am french so I hope I can spend as much time I want if I go back to france? But yes I should check :-D

Yes I got 270days from AIB but I did take the Breakdown option (it was "only" 90 day long if I remember correctly).

I just checked and Nationwide gives you up to 180days with the Flexiplus account. I will continue looking a bit.
I've been checking as I have a home in Normandy. EU regulation not one Country.

Must be the main residence in France or obtain a Visa which seems to only apply if intending to work there.

I've worked it out based on previous years and as I spread my trips over the year I should be OK as it's a rolling 180 day period. Not a years 365 days.

The French current Covid restrictions make it all a bit theoretical as even having a residence plus paying the annual taxes still doesn't permit going there.

Last edited:
Numbers slightly off, being pedantic, it’s 90 in 180 days not 190 and it’s in the Schengen area not individual country

Numbers slightly off, being pedantic, it’s 90 in 180 days not 190 and it’s in the Schengen area not individual country
my error, did know 180 but rolled 90 onto 190 without double checking.
I didn't say one Country but in the EU as a whole is my understanding.

In practice as no internal borders within the EU anyone exceeding this would only be picked up when returning to the UK. just what would actually happen will be known later.
Possibly a future ban from the EU?? Didn't comply with rules on previous visit so no reason to assume can be trusted to do so in future.

I had a look on the French Embassy Site for the Visa application process and it didn't give an option to apply for extended holiday period, might change when normality returns.

Will be interesting to see once things settle down how they police the border. Last few times I used the ferry and then the tunnel, French border window was firmly shut, they were not interested in the slightest. Pre 31 Dec I know but hey let’s see what happens

Back