Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattle on a new Beach

I have something very similar, which had appeared after eight months of ownership - infuriating!
We have no awning, so it's not that, but the noise is a tap-tap, almost tap-creak, above the driver's head (RHD), sometimes over bumps, sometimes just to annoy me!
Had the roof up, everything secure, been driving around with my hand on at various positions through the open hatch, but all secure, it definitely send to be inside the space betwixt the are where the light switch is, and the lower roof lining.
@Richy did VW trace your rattle?

Yip that sounds like the one lol

Not yet, but to be fair, I've been away in it most weekends so I've arranged for it to be looked at again at the back end of the summer.

Once I get is sorted I'll let you know ;)

@Stoneybroke & @Richy - as you both have a T6 Beach like mine please do pop the bonnet & have a peer through the grill vents (bodywork colour) at the bottom of the windscreen / above the engine compartment seal.

Near the centre there's a suspended galvanised box (assuming wipers related) which made the rattle on mine til I wedged it tighter - was close to a Fawlty Towers tree branch moment til the breakthrough came ...

@Stoneybroke & @Richy - as you both have a T6 Beach like mine please do pop the bonnet & have a peer through the grill vents (bodywork colour) at the bottom of the windscreen / above the engine compartment seal.

Near the centre there's a suspended galvanised box (assuming wipers related) which made the rattle on mine til I wedged it tighter - was close to a Fawlty Towers tree branch moment til the breakthrough came ...

I know what you mean about the John Cleese moments!:headbang

I've had a look at what you suggested, poked through the gaps, but it seems solid.

Unlike many rattles that are hard to locate, this one is close to me, making it easier to hone in on the noise. It's just above my head (when driving) slightly to the front right, so anywhere between the mike in the ceiling and the ceiling mounted grab handle, whether or not the hatch is open.

hmmm.

I have a similar overhead 'chirrup' which I've decided is the two parts of the roof vinyl / rubber / plastic seals rubbing against each other. I've given both halves a wipe over with Autoglym bumper care product which seems to alleviate it a little. Used to drive me nuts in my previous conversion which was far less well 'mated'.

Dealer currently looking at this annoying overhead rattle/tapping under warranty (along with other issues).
Good news is they agree there's a problem and that it's very annoying.
Bad news - headlining out, nothing visible. They now believe it's within the double skin of the roof. They are considering Pop-top removal to access dead space!

Dealer currently looking at this annoying overhead rattle/tapping under warranty (along with other issues).
Good news is they agree there's a problem and that it's very annoying.
Bad news - headlining out, nothing visible. They now believe it's within the double skin of the roof. They are considering Pop-top removal to access dead space!

I've read that you have tried several things and its good that they agree. I had something similar mine turned out to be that "someone" hadn't pushed the hatch completely closed. Hope they find what the problem is. I know they noises drive me to distraction.

I've read that you have tried several things and its good that they agree. I had something similar mine turned out to be that "someone" hadn't pushed the hatch completely closed. Hope they find what the problem is. I know they noises drive me to distraction.
Definitely not the hatch - the noise stays where it is whether the hatch is open or closed.
I am surprised they can't get to look in that space somehow.

Good News - Roof has stayed on (though most of the headlining, hatch, etc., came off.
Problem solved - dealer (Birmingham - same group as Preston, but nearer for me) contacted VW for advice, describing the symptom - starts as a creaking sound, but becomes a (really annoying) tapping sound.
VW recognised the issue, looked up a technical note on the problem, and solved it.
Invoice states "Removed complete front interior, discovered noise from box section, used VW grade body wax to lubricate..."
Simple solution but hard work to get to - basically two bits of the sandwich of metal moving/flexing and creating the noise apparently.
Time will tell if teh solution works.
First time Birmingham had come across it, but apparently there was a Cali in at the chain's Wrexham branch for the same issue, so information shared - if you're a forum member, you will hopefully have silent travels too :thumb

Hi Stoneybroke,
Thats great news :thumb......

How long did VW have your van to carry out the repair ?

Cheers Richy

Hi Stoneybroke,
Thats great news :thumb......

How long did VW have your van to carry out the repair ?

Cheers Richy
They had a few things to do, I left it with them Tuesday morning, it was ready Thursday lunchtime.
I think that had they known that it was an issue subject to a technical bulletin (they do now) that they may have had it less time - there was a lot of exploratory work, including endoscopes, etc.
Worth it to be free of that annoying, irrigating "tap, tap, tap."

I had already lifted the roof slightly and drove it slowly along a private road to cancel out any rubbing from the roof, so I had planned to get the endoscope out before I contacted VW and had them remove the roof liner.

Cheers Richy

I had a persistent rattle from the sliding door that I was assured was normal i.e. they could not find anything. Anyhow it went in last time to have the table catch looked at as it was getting very stiff and hey presto the rattle has gone and the catch is now spring loaded.

Guys,
just thought I’d update you on my rattle/knocking noise that had came from the roof space above the drivers head (A pillar), it’s been into VW again.
They eventually removed the roof liner and covered the 3 points of the A pillar in wax oil !!!.

3000 miles later no noise

Pity it only took the 2 years to locate

I’ve been also trying to solve this problem since picking up the Van from Borris and he was trying to solve it before me. Having exhausted all other possibilities and observed what I concluded was this kind of chassis flex as it can happen when pulling off I can only conclude I it leaves the solution deployed for the technical bulletin described by @Stoneybroke
Any chance you can share which Birmingham dealer? It might make sense for me to get a quote based on the bulletin and their experience given the work otherwise as mine is out of warranty.

many thanks

I’ve been also trying to solve this problem since picking up the Van from Borris and he was trying to solve it before me. Having exhausted all other possibilities and observed what I concluded was this kind of chassis flex as it can happen when pulling off I can only conclude I it leaves the solution deployed for the technical bulletin described by @Stoneybroke
Any chance you can share which Birmingham dealer? It might make sense for me to get a quote based on the bulletin and their experience given the work otherwise as mine is out of warranty.

many thanks
I used Clark commercial in Kirkcaldy, they did the same repair as described in the Birmingham post (albeit they got wax oil all over my headliner ).
Touch wood no noise since.

I'd love to read and fully understand that technical bulletin. Does anyone know if it's available for us owners to read? That knocking sound is clearly a common issue. It became very annoying and defied all efforts to trace and resolve.

No sign of it yet on our current 2019 Beach so hopefully VW did something to resolve this matter on newer vans.

Last edited:
I'd love to read and fully understand that technical bulletin. Does anyone know it it's available for us owners to read? That knocking sound is clearly a common issue. It became very annoying and defied all efforts to trace and resolve.

No sign of it yet on our current 2019 Beach so hopefully VW did something to resolve this matter on newer vans.
Not sure,
Clark’s said they didn’t have any knowledge of any such bulletin. But then carried out the work anyway !!!

many thanks
Swansway in Birmingham.

Back