Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 'rattle' debate

R

Richard_O

I've read the thread on rattles. I am one of those people that get driven to madness when a rattle remains unsolved. I have a rattle in the back. I think it's the solid plastic window slide blind - left above fridge door. Tried closing it but makes no difference. Also it could be the sliding metallic doors?? Is it simple a blue tack job?? Thoughts/experience gratefully received.

Thanks
Richardo

its going to be your sliding table not latched in properly at the bottom - very annoying :headbang

dave and lisa

Don't know what the new ones are like but on my pre-facelift model one of the forward locator pins on the rear shelf / bed rattled because it wasn't seated properly. Probably fixed in the latest models but worth a look if it's not the table

Another follower of the anti rattle threads here. Using the info in them I have found and eliminated the roof scissor knocking/rattle and the bed board squeak. :cool: Also carpet lined and noise stopped the seat storage box to quieten that one down. Drivers seat was also squeaking but finally traced and sorted that as well.
What has defied my attempts to locate & fix is a rattle from the back of the van, :headbang it’s not the table (left the table & camping chairs at home and went for a drive). Finally admitted defeat and took it into the dealer for them to search. Three hours investigation later they think it is some broken clips in the tailgate and have ordered replacements. Will see (hear) when they come in and are fitted. Does seem a likely cause as I had one journey where there was very little rattling and in that case I had the seats folded down and the multiflex board in place and the cushion would have been pushing against the tailgate trim. (I’ve got the 2 seater Beach version).
Hope you find and fix your rattle. While I was waiting in the dealers another couple in a red Cali came in with what sounded to me like the roof scissor rattle. Did mention the hosepipe section around pivot fix but technician was very reluctant to try, think I overheard they were going to replace the whole scissor assembly.

owen_h said:
Another follower of the anti rattle threads here. Using the info in them I have found and eliminated the roof scissor knocking/rattle and the bed board squeak. :cool: Also carpet lined and noise stopped the seat storage box to quieten that one down. Drivers seat was also squeaking but finally traced and sorted that as well.
What has defied my attempts to locate & fix is a rattle from the back of the van, :headbang it’s not the table (left the table & camping chairs at home and went for a drive). Finally admitted defeat and took it into the dealer for them to search. Three hours investigation later they think it is some broken clips in the tailgate and have ordered replacements. Will see (hear) when they come in and are fitted. Does seem a likely cause as I had one journey where there was very little rattling and in that case I had the seats folded down and the multiflex board in place and the cushion would have been pushing against the tailgate trim. (I’ve got the 2 seater Beach version).
Hope you find and fix your rattle. While I was waiting in the dealers another couple in a red Cali came in with what sounded to me like the roof scissor rattle. Did mention the hosepipe section around pivot fix but technician was very reluctant to try, think I overheard they were going to replace the whole scissor assembly.

Hi Owen

What did you find with the roof scissor rattle?

I think mine might be doing that above the drivers seat.

Hi Rilla,

It was this thread viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1137&start=15 that put me onto the scissor rattle/bang when you go over potholes etc. On page 2 towards the bottom when they start talking of split hose. Its just a bit of say flexible water pipe hose cut to about 8mm length and then split lengthwise. Wrap this round the forward pivot on the roof scissors. Mine had been fitted by a dealer or the previous owner but at some point had fallen off and was lying in the roof gutter, hence the rattling started. To prevent it falling off again I wrapped a small bit of tape round the hose.
However if you say its coming from above the drivers seat that sounds to far forward to be the scissor mechanism to me. Might It be the other common rattle of the roof bed hydraulic strut needing a bit of felt tape or even the reading light knocking the roof. (not that I have a reading light in the Beach).
The noise I had from above the drivers seat area was a creaking sound when cornering, not a rattle. That turned out to be the front corners of the upper bed board where they sit into the roof frame. As the vehicle flexes the board rubbed over the hard plastic causing a creak. Solution : couple of bits of felt tape.

Happy hunting !

Owen

Above drivers head is more likely to be the awning. make sure you wind it in tight when stowing it.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Andy said:
Above drivers head is more likely to be the awning. make sure you wind it in tight when stowing it.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Very likely, forgot I have had that one as well !More felt tape and a bit of soft rubber fixed around the drop down legs pretty much sorted it.

I don't think this noise is the awning. I've tried several things with the awning and it hasn't stopped this particular noise. It may just be flex creaking and unsolvable!

I had a similar squeak from the rear - turned out to be the upstairs bedboard rubbing on the roof at the back where they overlap in the corners.

Put a duster between them and that stopped the rubbing/squeaking.

Ours developed the loud clunk/bang above the fridge mid journey. Sounded like the van was coming apart. Looked on the roof scissor mechanism and the already mentioned sections of split hose were present but rotated. Factory bodge?
These are now hopefully held in position by electrical tape.

Back