Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattling DSG gearstick

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our 2019 ocean has a rattling/ vibrating sound coming from the DSG gearstick when driving, it’s like the sound you get if something is rattling/vibrating against the trim say sunglasses or something. It stops when you touch the gearstick, only to start again when you let go. It sounds like there is some trim vibrating or a part might be coming loose. There is nothing visible. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and if there is a solution. Thanks for any advice

Our 2019 ocean has a rattling/ vibrating sound coming from the DSG gearstick when driving, it’s like the sound you get if something is rattling/vibrating against the trim say sunglasses or something. It stops when you touch the gearstick, only to start again when you let go. It sounds like there is some trim vibrating or a part might be coming loose. There is nothing visible. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and if there is a solution. Thanks for any advice
Do you have the bottle holder below the gear stick? Anything in there?
What about the fuse panel cover in that area?

I agree with Welshgas, the bottle holder removes easily by depressing the two buttons.

Also the DSG gearstick top cowling plate will prise out.

By removing the obvious, you will either find the issue or be able to focus elsewhere.

Do you know how the cowling plate will prise our, always cautious with trim bits incase something snaps ?

Do you know how the cowling plate will prise our, always cautious with trim bits incase something snaps ?
When the rain stops, I'll get to my Cali and take a photo. Use plastic trim tool to prise out.

That would be great thank you, I have some trim tools so what to open would be fantastic

ICIC, I have the same problem, in a 2019 Ocean with DSG. Which as you say, appears to be coming from the gear lever button, the noise goes when you catch hold of lever. I have nothing in any of the " glove boxes" or in the drinks holder. Interesting to hear what the resolution turns out to be.

Yes I don’t think it’s anything to do with the cup holder, the sound is very much from the gear stick. as you say it goes the moment you touch the gear stick which stops the vibration causing the rattle/buzz .. how long have you had it

Icic, the noise came on about 4 - 6 weeks ago, and I put it down to the van getting hot and bits and pieces expanding, but not so sure now. Went out this morning and the noise is still there, may have to get/carry
a set of elastic bands ;)

Rubber bands that’s a thought, it might be a know issue if we both have it. Might be worth asking the dealer. Also be great to see what Alan suggests with taking the cowling off

Does it still rattle if you touch the stick on another place?
Can you lift up the gear shift cover? Maybe it's the knob for selecting gears?

Hi tripleBee not sure what you mean ?

Not sure if I touch the gearstick on any part on the upper part the rattle stops. I can’t seem to isolate the sound

When the rain stops, I'll get to my Cali and take a photo. Use plastic trim tool to prise out.
Sorry for delay.

Here are photos of how to remove the DSG gearstick cowl.

You'll need a T15 Torx screwdriver to remove a single screw at the front inside of the small cubby hole.

I also find it beneficial to use a bit of masking tape (or similar) to hold the screw at the end of the screwdriver when re-attaching this screw.

There are 4 plastic sprung clips....one at either end and two on the long edge facing inside the van. The photos will make these clear.

1. Open the cubby hole, remove the black plastic mat, remove the T15 Torx screw.
2. Use a small plastic trim tool to gently prise up the cowl trim. These do not need much effort to lift.
3. Lift the cowl clear and up the DSG gear stick.
4. You can now see the full DSG gearstick beneath the cowl, and you'll notice the plastic gearstick gate. This is normally greased. If dry then reapply some grease around the gearstick gate.
5. Do your tests to identify where the gearstick is squeaking.
6. Lower the cowl in to position and push home.
7. Re-insert the T15 torz screw. This is where I attach the screw inline to the screwdriver with a little masking tape.
8. Re-insert the black plastic mat.

DSCF1007.JPG

DSCF1008.JPG

DSCF1009.JPG

DSCF1010.JPG

DSCF1011.JPG

DSCF1012.JPG

DSCF1013.JPG

DSCF1014.JPG

DSCF1015.JPG

Alan thank you so much, that’s amazing you have done that. I will have a go later in the week.

Traced the noise to the "blank" side of the gear lever selecter stud, ( see post #13 by TrippleBee, its the one in the middle red circle). I placed an elastic band on the "blank" and under the gear lever selector stud, and the noise is now gone. I presume that the blank does not fit tightly or perhaps it expands with the heat ?? Good set of images Alan and TrppleBee well done and thanks.

Traced the noise to the "blank" side of the gear lever selecter stud, ( see post #13 by TrippleBee, its the one in the middle red circle). I placed an elastic band on the "blank" and under the gear lever selector stud, and the noise is now gone. I presume that the blank does not fit tightly or perhaps it expands with the heat ?? Good set of images Alan and TrppleBee well done and thanks.
So glad that you have this resolved. There is nothing worse than an annoying rattle or squeak.

We've had similar from the hob.

Discovered that the small rubber grommets that hold the hob grill had split.

Replaced these and noise has gone.

Back