Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio upgrade; Advice needed

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi
I am looking for a little advice on an upgrade to the media system. I initially had the 6.33 upgrade along with the addition of Apple CarPlay when first purchased. I was offered the Sat Nav upgrade at the time but declined thinking a little expensive.
I have upgraded the speakers and I am more than pleased with the sound. But now I would like to upgrade to have navigation. I find that Apple maps is so hungry for data and using google maps on my phone does not Recalculate a route when taking a different turn.

I am looking at the Pioneer F88DAB. but I am not sure if it’s a straightforward upgrade and will work ok with my stock reversing camera, parking sensors, MFSW controls, etc. etc.

Any help, pointers or advice would be appreciated.

Hi
I am looking for a little advice on an upgrade to the media system. I initially had the 6.33 upgrade along with the addition of Apple CarPlay when first purchased. I was offered the Sat Nav upgrade at the time but declined thinking a little expensive.
I have upgraded the speakers and I am more than pleased with the sound. But now I would like to upgrade to have navigation. I find that Apple maps is so hungry for data and using google maps on my phone does not Recalculate a route when taking a different turn.

I am looking at the Pioneer F88DAB. but I am not sure if it’s a straightforward upgrade and will work ok with my stock reversing camera, parking sensors, MFSW controls, etc. etc.

I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice, but I know a man who can. Very helpful with their advice.

http://absolut5.co.uk/audiomultimedia/

They are also on this Forum - as @Absolut5

Hi

I would be interested in purchasing your 6.33 w/ Apple CarPlay unit. Should you release it from its current role. :thumb

Why not get a brand new tomtom for those times when you need the Nav. Will be a lot cheaper, more versatile and better than any in built system. They also normally come with free map updates for life, they just doesn’t look as nice. I’ve always spent a LOT on inbuilt systems in the past, my new Cali is the first vehicle in years that I haven’t speced it on. I refused to pay that amount for a really (in my opinion) clunky system. Sorry, slightly off topic...

Can’t you put something that doesn’t require data onto your phone (tomtom app?) and then view it through your CarPlay unit.
I think it would be a major step backwards to put such an non OEM unit in such a new van.

Why not get a brand new tomtom for those times when you need the Nav. Will be a lot cheaper, more versatile and better than any in built system. They also normally come with free map updates for life, they just doesn’t look as nice. I’ve always spent a LOT on inbuilt systems in the past, my new Cali is the first vehicle in years that I haven’t speced it on. I refused to pay that amount for a really (in my opinion) clunky system. Sorry, slightly off topic...
Nothing wrong with most Built in SatNavs if you take the time to understand how they work. A Big Big disadvantage of the separate units is that they depend totally on obtaining a Satellite Signal. No signal no navigation and that can be a problem in cities with lots of high rise buildings, underpasses and tunnels. Virtually all the latest built in units take inputs from vehicle sensors to initiate a form of Inertial Guidance to cope with that problem. Try using a Garmin/TomTom in somewhere like Sydney NSW. Built in Navigates you, standalone constantly searching for Signal.
Both have their place and the costs reflect their capabilities.

Can’t you put something that doesn’t require data onto your phone (tomtom app?) and then view it through your CarPlay unit.
I think it would be a major step backwards to put such an non OEM unit in such a new van.
Carplay will not show your TomTom app from the Iphone on main screen. I have TomTom Go on my Iphone and is very happy with that. But last year I used it in the rental Ocean and Carplay won't allow more than a limited set of apps to be shown. We experimented wit both the built in satnav and the TomTom Go and ended up preferring the built in satnav. Even thou the TomTom is nicer navigation IMO, but the benefits of the integration in the MFD in the end made the factory option a winner for us.
For that reason I ordered the satnav for our upcoming Ocean.

I've got the latest VW navigation in our Golf GTE. (It was a non-cost option. Standard I think)

I didn't order it again on the California. It's not worth the money IMO.

It works perfectly well but I think there are better navigation services(and they are free).

I have an android phone and use "Android Auto" (equivalent of Apple Carplay) - this allows me to use WAZE. It's a navigation app that provides real time updates via lots of sources and includes updates via the WAZE community.

Even down to detail like "Caution - there is a vehicle stationary on the hard shoulder up ahead". Real time updates including roadworks, speed cameras, incidents. It's saved me hours by avoiding congestion.

Some people like the OEM stuff and most of it is good. Navigation has moved on however and I don't think the OEM manufacturers can compete with offerings like WAZE.

Carplay will not show your TomTom app from the Iphone on main screen.

I'm pretty sure Apple Maps is powered by TomTom so the Navigation should be the same, albeit on a different map graphic. Does TomTom Go give you additional Navigation functions such as offline maps?

If you Jailbreak your iPhone you can get everything on Carplay. I'm weighing up whether it's worth buying a 2nd hand iPhone 5 or 6 to use in the Cali.

I'm pretty sure Apple Maps is powered by TomTom so the Navigation should be the same, albeit on a different map graphic. Does TomTom Go give you additional Navigation functions such as offline maps?

If you Jailbreak your iPhone you can get everything on Carplay. I'm weighing up whether it's worth buying a 2nd hand iPhone 5 or 6 to use in the Cali.
TomTom Go is full offline maps, you only need network to get traffic info, which is very good. But you have to pay for it.

Jailbreak is an alternative, but still you do not get it in the MFD and you have yet another device to maintan.

But OEM SatNav is not perfect and my biggest concern is the map updates cost and how long they make them available.

I installed an Alpine unit last year. I did look at the Pioneer which was really the only serious competitor.

Sadly both the Pioneer and Alpine look and feel like something that fell out of a Christmas cracker! Cheap crappy wobbly buttons and Gameboy graphics.

Still, what can you expect for £1k.

If only Blaupunkt were in the market.

Nothing wrong with most Built in SatNavs if you take the time to understand how they work. A Big Big disadvantage of the separate units is that they depend totally on obtaining a Satellite Signal. No signal no navigation and that can be a problem in cities with lots of high rise buildings, underpasses and tunnels. Virtually all the latest built in units take inputs from vehicle sensors to initiate a form of Inertial Guidance to cope with that problem. Try using a Garmin/TomTom in somewhere like Sydney NSW. Built in Navigates you, standalone constantly searching for Signal.
Both have their place and the costs reflect their capabilities.

I don’t disagree with you, there’s nothing really wrong with most of the OEM offerings and I also prefer the built-in look, but I wouldn’t pay the price that vw are asking for their in-built system in the Cali. Isn’t it circa £1k? I have this exact system in three mid range passat company cars - it is standard in a car costing £30K... if it was standard in the Cali I would happily use it! It’s a quirky system particularly having to remember to get it to connect to a mobile hotspot each time you set off so you have the online traffic - which is critical IMO.

TOMTOM etc. have a big advantage in that you can also move them between cars. Not planning on going to Sydney in the Cali, but I take your point!

Not sure this is helping the OP!;)

Hi Guys,
Thank you for some real interesting ideas and views on what we have out there. It does look like another mine field which will always make choices yet another calculation.
I have been in touch with one or two outlets to try and investigate the pros and cons of th F88DAB and it does seem that some functionality over the current system will be lost with the fitting of an OEM unit. With the sort of money I may have to spend to fit such a unit, this seems rather a silly option for me now.
Some of the suggestions you have made have revealed yet more routes (no pun intended) for me to now consider. A lot less expensive way, albeit maybe another confusing mine field. (Keeps the grey matter working)
One thing I must point out, i made an error in my opening post. I have since discovered that google maps does redirect if you happen to go off route. So I think I could be close to a solution maybe.
Car play is a good feature, but would I really need such a feature whilst on holiday trundling across Europe somewhere? I say that because I use Apple iPhone and cant use google maps but only imaps (which can require almost a gigabyte of data a day to run as you can’t preload any maps)
My thoughts now are to download all the required google maps for free(no data charge)before I travel and just use the google on my Iphone.

I will plough on and continue to dig out all the possible solutions and work arounds to see what’s best for me. I will update as more revelations reveal themselves.
I think Marco Polo had it a hell of a lot easier in his day....

Cheers and thanks for help and input to all.

If you are thinking of changing the head unit DIY remember not to switch the ignition on with any of the airbag warning system disconnected. If you bring up the airbag system failure warning light you will need the assistance of someone on here (or a dealer) with diagnostic kit to re-set it.

Hi again,
Just an update on my last post,
Since I put the last post I decided to reread the thread again as I had thoughts gearing away in my head.
After reading some of your suggestions and thoughts again guys I realised my solution to suit myself is staring at me in my face. An Eureka! moment.

For me, it is initially going to be just use my iPhone running Apple maps(or any map app). No fees all free map updates etc.
At some time pick up(if I find needed) an Android phone and use via ‘Android Auto’ (instead of car play which I already have with my head unit) then to use the google maps on the head units screen.

With both (Apple maps or google maps) both work really good with spoken commands. So totally hands free with directions displayed on the 6.33 inch screen.

I have said google maps, it could have been Waze or tommy. It’s just that personally I am more familiar with google. It’s the same with the phone. If I was not so familiar and happy with the iPhone the solution would have been also been so much easier.

Thank you again to all.

If you are thinking of changing the head unit DIY remember not to switch the ignition on with any of the airbag warning system disconnected. If you bring up the airbag system failure warning light you will need the assistance of someone on here (or a dealer) with diagnostic kit to re-set it.

Wow Rod,
Thank you, you posted same time as myself.

Not needed now, but a good point to raise for all.
Thank you.

Buying a cheap Apple or Android device as a car phone to use app connect sounds sensible to me.

It'll be much cheaper than replacing the head unit and probably less expensive than buying a standalone satnav unit.

I agree! The screen of the build-in is to small, sits in the wrong place. Compared to the VW satnav TomTom is much more user friendly.

I have both the Pioneer F88DAB (Golf) and the Kenwood DNX516DAB (T5 Cali)

I use CarPlay on both pretty much exclusively.

The Kenwood displays navigation on the DIS, the Pioneer won’t.

The pioneer is more responsive and better screen but the Kenwood is factory fit.

They both have DAB.

Just to say they are both more difficult to use than VW systems, but they do loads more so designed for more tech savvy market I think.

I have the pioneer fitted to my van. The sat nav once updated is good. I also use car play a lot. I like the fact that I can use my phone disk or as card to play my collection of old radio comedy’s. not so happy that at times the stop go can knock the sat nav out for a moment. But it’s way better then the kenwood be offer. But miles behind the BMW pro sat navigation.F

Was thinking, It would be way cheaper to upgrade your phone contract than swap out your stereo!

With all the amazing functions the Pioneer F88 has I still use CarPlay 90% of the time.

My company pays for the phone. But I think the OP was about the pioneer not a phone contract

Sorry @frenchie I was referring to the OP! Was typing on my phone.

@Baldrick was stating that Apple Maps was eating too much data and discussed upgrading to the Pioneer F88 at a cost of £800 or upwards.

Hence my thinking it would be way cheaper for a contract upgrade

Hi yes it is. The pioneer gets me near. But for find tuning I switch to car play to locate position. Cuts down phone use by miles but allows use of all the apps.F

Hi

hi Shadrack

have a look at vagupdate.com - it worked for my cali 2017 Jan with MIB2 (Discover media pro with nav)