Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Camera on Whilst Driving

Maeve

Maeve

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi Everyone, I have searched the forum and I may just be missing it but if so please point out a link...Does anyone know of a mod that would allow you to have annd view the rear camera whilst driving instead of just when reversing?

Hi Everyone, I have searched the forum and I may just be missing it but if so please point out a link...Does anyone know of a mod that would allow you to have annd view the rear camera whilst driving instead of just when reversing?
I have asked a company with a wealth of experience with VW product, if this is technically possible ( even if may not be legal in the U.K.)

I will post the answers when I have a response

In theory just getting the reverse gear signal energised should do it BUT then the reverse lights would have to be deactivated as would rear proximity sensors.
Radio and if fitted the Sat Nav would be off.

Fitting a separate rear view camera and display would probably be a better/simpler option.

Doubt if Illegal as noticed that Mercedes HGV's are now being fitted with cameras in place of glass door mirrors.

Not without rewiring.

The ICE is usually wired into thegearbox selector, with the connection going live when reverse is engaged. To change it, you'd need to ensure said wiring is permanently live, which will most likely cause ample confusion as well for the parking sensors, which are also tied in.

Hi Maeve

as promised ( I asked several questions posed by forum OPs recently, I have included all answers which are self explanatory)

To answer your questions:
Re Camera: I am not sure if you want the Rear View Camera to display while driving or if you are asking about Front View Camera as
spellcheck seems to have got involved!
I do not believe the OEM system in the T6 has any capability to have a front camera. I am also fairly sure that it can not display the rear camera while driving at over a few MPH.
A simple solution for this would be to have a dash cam. There are numerous options, some which have their own built-in display, others which
display on smart devices and some which display on a replacement rear view mirror!

re App-Connect / CarPlay: we can certainly help with this. Please let me have the registration number and/or VIN/Chassis number of the specific
vehicle so I can provide an exact quote as the price depends on the version of the unit in the vehicle. We provide Software and Map Update services too.

re faulty screen: we are aware of a fault with ALL VW Discover Media Navigation Systems (part number ending with ‘C’). EVERY single one of them will
fail at some point due to what must be a manufacturing problem. Strangely, it only seems to happen after the 3 year warranty has expired!!! (very suspicious!)
Unsurprisingly, VW are not admitting any liability!
The problem is caused by one of 3 factors and we can ALWAYS repair them. The cost depends on which fault and we can provide an exact and no obligation
quote once we have run (free of charge) diagnostics on the unit.

You are welcome to refer your forum members to: https://www.satnavsystems.com/diagnostics-repairs/
and also: https://www.satnavsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Repair-Form-2019.pdf

re T6.1: we do offer some upgrades for he T6.1 already (Rear View Cameras, Tow Bars etc) and are working on other solutions (Navigation upgrades etc) and will add theseto our website in due course.

In the meantime if anyone needs anything, they are welcome to contact us via: https://www.satnavsystems.com/contact-us so we can try to assist.

Thank you again for all your kind words and recommendations and we look forward to being of further service in future.

Best regards,

Hamid R. Ataei
Executive Director
Satnav Systems
Unit G, Argent Court
175 Hook Rise South
Surbiton
KT6 7NL

GPS coordinates: 51 22’20.3″ N, 000 17’23.5″ W
www.satnavsystems.com

Why do you want to look behind you
when you are going forward?

Why do you want to look behind you
when you are going forward?
I recently chatted to someone who was towing a large caravan and had a camera installed so he could have better visibility behind him than extended wing mirrors give.

There has been rear view camera systems available for some time but they require a dedicated display on the dash.
Some are wired through (plug it in when trailer/caravan attached) and others are remote/wireless as per the example below.
As the law (UK) stands these would not replace any need for extended towing mirrors.

This may provide a solution in conjunction with a Smartphone as a display unit. Camera battery life is an unknown.

Last edited:
further clarification regarding rear view camera whilst driving, hope this helps:

The VW Rear View Camera gets it’s trigger from the reverse gear so it is not designed to work unless the vehicle is in reverse.
There may ways of over riding this but there will be too many side effects which may damage the electronics beyond repair.

Please feel free to email us as and when we may be of assistance and we will do our best to advise.
Best regards,

Hamid R. Ataei
Executive Director
Satnav Systems
Unit G, Argent Court
175 Hook Rise South
Surbiton
KT6 7NL

GPS coordinates: 51 22’20.3″ N, 000 17’23.5″ W
www.satnavsystems.com

Also been looking at this. There seems to be different cameras for using as a mirror, unlike the wide angle or fisheye they give a "longer shot" of the road behind. Some are available in dual form but rather large for a Cali....this shows what I mean

Rear view camera

Also been looking at this. There seems to be different cameras for using as a mirror, unlike the wide angle or fisheye they give a "longer shot" of the road behind. Some are available in dual form but rather large for a Cali....this shows what I mean

Rear view camera
I looked at these some time ago but they didn't seem suitable in an Ocean/Coast with its wardrobe and overhead lockers restricting the view plus quite a distance to the rear from the mirror mounting point. Might OK in a Beach.

If you search on EBAY for Caravan Rear View Camera System you'll find possible solutions

The new Landrover Defender has a screen in the rear view mirror linked to the camera at the back. If you specify the 3 seats across the front, all you would see in a conventional mirror is the smiling face of whoever you were sitting next to.
That would suggest it is legal.

The new Landrover Defender has a screen in the rear view mirror linked to the camera at the back. If you specify the 3 seats across the front, all you would see in a conventional mirror is the smiling face of whoever you were sitting next to.
That would suggest it is legal.
My mention of legality was in connection with using instead of extended door mirrors when towing a caravan.
You have to be able to see both left and right hand rear corners of the Caravan when in the straight ahead position, rear view camera wouldn't be looking at those areas.
Great for see anything tucked in behind though (tailgating).

Appreciate that this may not be what you are referring to.

Doubt if Illegal as noticed that Mercedes HGV's are now being fitted with cameras in place of glass door mirrors.
Spotted 14 of them today. Spotting them is my new game
when driving.
images-132.jpeg

If its for use when towing, You would want the rear view camera on the back of the caravan , not on the van boot. Looking at the legalities below, neither position appears to comply. So it will depend on the width of what you are towing.
1604428081619.png

Works perfectly on my Alpine head unit with an Alpine camera. There is a menu for various camera views, one of them being permanently on whilst driving.
Works really well as a blind spot aid.
It may be a case of upgrading the camera or both camera and head unit.

It should be a fairly easy wiring mod. Put a change over relay between the reverse light and the camera and add a dedicated 12v supply to the relay.
Under normal conditions the reverse light will remain connected to the camera. When you want it on, (other than when reversing) trigger the relay to disconnect The camera from the reverse light and connect to the alternative supply.
Wire the coil of the relay back to a switch on the dash. This way the reverse lights won’t activate when you switch the camera on.

Works perfectly on my Alpine head unit with an Alpine camera. There is a menu for various camera views, one of them being permanently on whilst driving.
Works really well as a blind spot aid.
It may be a case of upgrading the camera or both camera and head unit.
Seems that no method of having permanent rear view with VW integrated camera.
Electronics have simply become not simple from a DIY.

Back