Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Camera on Whilst Driving

Well the camera doesn’t use The Force to switch on!! It takes a signal from reverse light power/switch. Mimic that signal.

Suggest you ring Absolut5 as there isn’t a thing he doesn’t know about the electrics and options for this sort of thing (link below)

He’s also on the T5 and T6 forums.

Don’t know if it’s possible to do with the factory supplied VW head-unit but it must be possible as I have a permanent rear view on my Kenwood head-unit in my T5.1 Wingamm Micros and the head unit can operate either as a full screen rear view or show a split screen with the Sat nav map and a rear view on same screen with the radio or cd also running alongside.

The rear view camera is great in daylight and during dusk but a camera loses out to the high resolution of a mirror in the pitch dark when lens dazzle becomes a feature.

The Kenwood page (link below) suggests it’s got a dash cam and rear view kit. There are newer head units that have become available since mine was fitted in 2015.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about wing mirror camera retro fit and a non vw head unit ?

cameras mounted under wing mirrors ?

I’ve a Kenwood 510 and there is a button to view the camera. I installed a cheap camera with an ignition switched power (not reversing light) so it’s powered up whenever driving but the head unit only switches to rear view when reverse is engaged. I can then override with the button on the headset. Useful to check bikes or boat on the back or see out the back when the boot is loaded up. Camera is inside the van so the wiper keeps the view clear. Works for me.

Hi Everyone, I have searched the forum and I may just be missing it but if so please point out a link...Does anyone know of a mod that would allow you to have annd view the rear camera whilst driving instead of just when reversing?
Hello Meave,
This wireless unit is available and is pretty easy to install. Take a look at attached video.
Regards Noél.

Hi Everyone, I have searched the forum and I may just be missing it but if so please point out a link...Does anyone know of a mod that would allow you to have annd view the rear camera whilst driving instead of just when reversing?
When I bought my 2015 California SE 3 years ago the lack of rear visibility was a big concern of mine also. After looking over lots of options I eventually purchased an ‘Auto-Vox’ X2 interior mirror display. It clips over the original (and somewhat useless) interior mirror. The display is the complete mirror surface. With the rear camera installed just above rear number plate I now have complete unhindered view to the rear. I can pan image up & down and it has night vision for low light operation. I have the rear camera image on all the time whilst driving. Absolutely recommend as the rear mirror is where you naturally look for checking rear view and as per the ‘highway code’ . The system has the capability of adding the guide lines when reverse is selected. It also has a built in front facing camera so acts as a dash cam , recording both front and rear images during driving. It also has a ‘lane assist’ function and can display useful information like speed and time. Not going to lie, fitting / integrating it into the van was time consuming but absolutely worth it.

I'd doubt the battery lasting for much of a trip duration.
They run on solar batteries. This type will work no problem although the screen goes off after 2 mins. But just repress the remote button and it comes back on.

In theory just getting the reverse gear signal energised should do it BUT then the reverse lights would have to be deactivated as would rear proximity sensors.
Radio and if fitted the Sat Nav would be off.

Fitting a separate rear view camera and display would probably be a better/simpler option.

Doubt if Illegal as noticed that Mercedes HGV's are now being fitted with cameras in place of glass door mirrors.
I would rather a mirror than a camera on a door mirror. One small misjudgment by you or another driver and the repairs would not be cheap.

Back