Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommended extras for new Cali Ocean

Finlay

Finlay

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello!
What would folk say are the must have extras on the Cali O and what would be your nice to haves?
Apologies as this is probably covered in another thread.
Thank you!

Covered at length!
My 2p worth...
Depends on your taste/intended use. The CaliO is a great veh with no additional options. We chose DSG, ACC ( easy cruising), towbar, reversing camera (tow frequently), larger screen on radio, app connect.
IMO the sat nav is poor value. Also did not spec led lights, though others consider these v important.
Did not spec comfort mattress and bought duvalay instead cheaper (better?)

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

We have only had our Ocean for 4 months. We managed trips for a week camping and several long weekends. I would say the best options are:

DSG
App connect
Reverse camera
Larger fuel tank
Comfiest dash and upgraded radio/sat nav
Bike rack - functional and looks good. Too heavy to practically use boot win 4 mtb on though

If I had the budget I would have added LED lights, detachable tow bar and ACC. That’s all though !

Also I would add our best non VW ‘extras’. Just as important:

Premium leather look sear covers from the club shop. Totally brilliant
Internal inner lining for pop top. Also brilliant. Stays in place when roof down
Ultra zonesleep topper for downstairs mattress. Sooo comfortable

These 3 are expensive but transform the Ocean in different ways.

And also VG
Primus tupike stove and bag (bag costs same as stove but is VG). This is quality cooking for outside (I think we’ll only use inside stove in winter for tea and coffee)
Outwell folding pots and pans
Ikea boxes for cupboards
Primus Kuchoma bbq and bag. Cooks really well and small
Thule roof bars with the lower feet
Kayak

Fiddly but good
Vango Galli compact drive away awning. Very good quality and needed for us for more than 3 nights in same place. But I much prefer to move around and not take it!

Waste of money
Waterproof seat covers
Hanging lights
Drive away awning as above unless going for a long time to same place. See above.
Non T6 Specific front floor mats
Not folding pans

Don’t forget :)
Gas bottle
Water tank cleaner
Drive away awning connector it you get awning
This site !!!
0a61cb8fa969d5204ad980def59aaaba.jpg

Hope it helps. This site is brilliant and where I got almost all these tips in the first place !

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for such a detailed reply! Not sure about the kayak ... may work my way up to that one! :thumb

Covered at length!
My 2p worth...
Depends on your taste/intended use. The CaliO is a great veh with no additional options. We chose DSG, ACC ( easy cruising), towbar, reversing camera (tow frequently), larger screen on radio, app connect.
IMO the sat nav is poor value. Also did not spec led lights, though others consider these v important.
Did not spec comfort mattress and bought duvalay instead cheaper (better?)

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/
Cheers! Blog looks good, must follow when I’ve got my WP account sorted!

I’d say the essentials extra are:

Awning
Parking sensors
App Connect
Comfort mattress

Over and above these, the sky is the limit!

My standard option:

A great big cupboard somewhere to store all those items that I bought in advance as "essential extra's".

Depending on your driving style and handling preferences in addition to the heavy duty anti roll bars mentioned above lowered springs are an option favoured by many. Not available on 4Motion.

Reversing camera is favoured with the Insurance Companies and I wouldn't be without one in conjunction with front and rear sensors.

Best to go through the options list a few times and then decide on what is essential, would like and can't see the need. Do it a few times with the family, if applicable.
You can always look/search on here for any specifics or just ask for opinions on an option.

Try to get the standard front rubber mats thrown in, not the heavy duty ones as they are more for commercial use.

Hello!
What would folk say are the must have extras on the Cali O and what would be your nice to haves?
Apologies as this is probably covered in another thread.
Thank you!
Don’t pay for Vw sat nav... crap.... get app connect option and use phone

I’d say the essentials extra are:

Awning
Parking sensors
App Connect
Comfort mattress

Over and above these, the sky is the limit!
Totally agree with this post .... bigger wheels option gives much harsher ride

Totally agree with this post .... bigger wheels option gives much harsher ride

Agree, big wheels are a PITA on a Cali and indeed most vehicles. The one I forgot to mention was cruise control (particularly if you are using abroad on quiet motorways).

Agree, big wheels are a PITA on a Cali and indeed most vehicles. The one I forgot to mention was cruise control (particularly if you are using abroad on quiet motorways).

We changed our order back to standard wheels so we could have a full spare, not just the kit in it's place

We changed our order back to standard wheels so we could have a full spare, not just the kit in it's place
If you change your mind again it's cheaper to buy a good quality set of 4 18" wheels from an accessory shop and sell your 17" ones for £550 and keep the spare.