Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting the new Cali - optimism or pessimism ?

Exciting times!
I would ask the salesman to extend the awning for you, pop the top, explain the difference between the ‘heat immediately’ and ‘heat continuously’ functions, and set you up on the infotainment system so your phone automatically connects.
The fridge generally works well on level 3 I find.
I would consider taking a sleeping bag with me, and booking a nice campsite en-route home…

Hi all. I‘m collecting my new Cali Ocean on Monday. It’s a 150PS with the only extras as shower attachment and comfort mattress. Yes, I’m quite excited and I’ve been gathering various accessories, based on ideas on the forum. However:

Should I be optimistic - after all it’s a VW and I’ve had several Golfs with no problems. Why should the CalI be different ?

Or should I be pessimistic - it’s a complex vehicle, both mechanically and electronically and the forum has highlighted several issues with new Calis

What should I prepare for ?
Are you collecting from Crawley? As I’m collect mine on Monday too, Cali, 150 in Ascot Grey. Good luck, many happy adventures await!

Are you collecting from Crawley? As I’m collect mine on Monday too, Cali, 150 in Ascot Grey. Good luck, many happy adventures await!
Hi. I’m collecting from Manchester. I originally ordered in Ascot Grey, my favourite colour but a cancelled order came free in in Mojave Beige. I mulled it over but decided not to wait. It wasn’t an easy decision. Whatever, we will both have a great Monday !

Exciting times!
I would ask the salesman to extend the awning for you, pop the top, explain the difference between the ‘heat immediately’ and ‘heat continuously’ functions, and set you up on the infotainment system so your phone automatically connects.
The fridge generally works well on level 3 I find.
I would consider taking a sleeping bag with me, and booking a nice campsite en-route home…
Thanks for the tips. I’ve added them to my list. I’m too close for a campsite stopover but I have one planned very soon !

Welcome to the owners club both formally and informally!

We've been ownerrs for 3 years and aboslutely love it. But it's not been without it's issues.
That said, the ones you need to be aware of are the leaking bellows (pop top fabric). It seems to be affecting all new Californias, and should be something you test out and raise with your dealer at the earliest opportunity (RE test - simply spray with a hosepipe and report if it leaks).

I wouldn't panic/worry if it does - VW have acknowledged it's a 'thing', and are collating reports to address it with an appropriate fix.

The most important thing? Experience. These vehicles aren't like a Mondeo or Focus. They have so many things to 'learn' whether it's the vehicle itself, or the ways in which to use it. My best advice - just get out in it frequently, and love it.

Neverless the less, wishing you a very very happy collection day!

Welcome to the owners club both formally and informally!

We've been ownerrs for 3 years and aboslutely love it. But it's not been without it's issues.
That said, the ones you need to be aware of are the leaking bellows (pop top fabric). It seems to be affecting all new Californias, and should be something you test out and raise with your dealer at the earliest opportunity (RE test - simply spray with a hosepipe and report if it leaks).

I wouldn't panic/worry if it does - VW have acknowledged it's a 'thing', and are collating reports to address it with an appropriate fix.

The most important thing? Experience. These vehicles aren't like a Mondeo or Focus. They have so many things to 'learn' whether it's the vehicle itself, or the ways in which to use it. My best advice - just get out in it frequently, and love it.

Neverless the less, wishing you a very very happy collection day!
Thank you very much for your kind wishes - less than 48 hours to go ! Yes, I’ve been avidly following the bellows issue in the forum and decided to buy a topper as back up. I suspect mine will leak, but I dont want to be back and forth to the dealer - I want to use it and wait for a fix. Your advice matches many others I’ve seen on the forum and YouTube etc - just use it and enjoy it, warts and all.

Thank you very much for your kind wishes - less than 48 hours to go ! Yes, I’ve been avidly following the bellows issue in the forum and decided to buy a topper as back up. I suspect mine will leak, but I dont want to be back and forth to the dealer - I want to use it and wait for a fix. Your advice matches many others I’ve seen on the forum and YouTube etc - just use it and enjoy it, warts and all.
For what it's worth, we've had our T6 for over three years now (shock - we're habitual hoppers!), and we've yet to properly use ours in wet conditions.

It's vital it doesn't leak - but I can hand on heart say that even if ours did, it would have yet to have impeded our use!

Just got back from my 2nd 3000km tour, this time around Southeast France. Despite discovering my MY23 poptop leaks with a vengeance and kicking myself once again for not getting double glazing, I still love it. A couple of other niggles also surfaced, like the water level indication is non functional and the inaccessible 12v socket near the sliding door is not working (fuse?), its still the perfect tool for exploring destinations like this. The Calibed Prestige III for the lower bed was also transformatory.

Dole.jpg

Just got back from my 2nd 3000km tour, this time around Southeast France. Despite discovering my MY23 poptop leaks with a vengeance and kicking myself once again for not getting double glazing, I still love it. A couple of other niggles also surfaced, like the water level indication is non functional and the inaccessible 12v socket near the sliding door is not working (fuse?), its still the perfect tool for exploring destinations like this. The Calibed Prestige III for the lower bed was also transformatory.

View attachment 114819
Many thanks for some useful pointers

Or should I be pessimistic - it’s a complex vehicle, both mechanically and electronically and the forum has highlighted several issues with new Calis

Then you better read the posts that highlight the good sides of California :D I wrote a thread about it just because the t6.1 deserves better than some of the comments it gets. Every time a new California came out, there were issues, small and large; people like to forget this. Now there are just more social media and it looks like people prefer to write negative things… don’t continue that negative image o_O For us it is a perfect travel partner and it is certainly suitable as a daily vehicle. You will find out what it is for you but a smile on your face should appear when you drive with it. And look at it. And sleep in it. And talk about it. Anyway, problems can be solved and when you encounter them, think of that. Have fun with it and enjoy that small, handy, versatile campervan you bought!

Last edited:
Then you better read the posts that highlight the good sides of California :D I wrote a thread about it just because the t6.1 deserves better than some the comments it gets. Every time a new California came out, there were issues, small and large; people like to forget this. Now there are just more social media and it looks like people prefer to write negative things… don’t continue that negative image o_O For us it is a perfect travel partner and it is certainly suitable as a daily vehicle. You will find out what it is for you but a smile on your face should appear when you drive with it. And look at it. And sleep in it. And talk about it. Anyway, problems can be solved and when you encounter them, think of that. Have fun with it and enjoy that small, handy, versatile campervan you bought!
Thanks so much. I appreciate your reassurance. It’s less than 24 hours now and I’m getting v excited. Almost every response has been positive.

Looks great. Hope you really enjoy it - we get itchy feet if we go a month without camping!

In terms of your nervous anticipation, some great advice we’ve fully taken on board from another forum member, do everything slowly, and never force things. If it’s designed to move / click etc it will do it easily. If it doesn’t, have a think, look at the manual, or look in the forum threads.

Looks great. Hope you really enjoy it - we get itchy feet if we go a month without camping!

In terms of your nervous anticipation, some great advice we’ve fully taken on board from another forum member, do everything slowly, and never force things. If it’s designed to move / click etc it will do it easily. If it doesn’t, have a think, look at the manual, or look in the forum threads.
Hi and thanks. Yes, I saw a YouTube video which said exactly the same - if you have to use force, stop and think. Manual and forum are the places to look. .

Looking good ,

love that colour and the way it changes under different light conditions (nothing beige about that colour! )
Thanks. I had originally ordered Ascot Gray, due in Jan 24, but then this came in as a cancelled order. I was dubious about paying for this paint option but I’m glad I did. It’s much better looking than I thought.

View attachment 114819
Is that Dole? It looks much prettier than when we were there in March 2022, the morning after the Sahara sand storm! All my photos looked sepia.

Dole photo.JPG

Saturday afternoon, Picos de Europa and still 30 degrees. A hot walk on the hill. Third Lemon & Ginger tea. The big question, where tonight?
The California is an eye wateringly expensive purchase. However, the opportunities and freedom it offers is second to none. Yes, there are foibles and mechanical problems along the way. Yet, whoever designed and put together this clever camping pod knew what they were doing. We are constantly amazed how sweetly things work and flow both driving and camping. (Seven years and counting)
Enjoy your new best friend. Absolutely brilliant to thoroughly explore Scotland and Ireland. It's size and 'driveabilty' make roads impossible for the Great White very possible. Loads of great advice in this post; you might know more than the person handing it over!
20230930_160931.jpg

Saturday afternoon, Picos de Europa and still 30 degrees. A hot walk on the hill. Third Lemon & Ginger tea. The big question, where tonight?
The California is an eye wateringly expensive purchase. However, the opportunities and freedom it offers is second to none. Yes, there are foibles and mechanical problems along the way. Yet, whoever designed and put together this clever camping pod knew what they were doing. We are constantly amazed how sweetly things work and flow both driving and camping. (Seven years and counting)
Enjoy your new best friend. Absolutely brilliant to thoroughly explore Scotland and Ireland. It's size and 'driveabilty' make roads impossible for the Great White very possible. Loads of great advice in this post; you might know more than the person handing it over!
View attachment 115050
Many thanks - beautiful photo. I've had it almost a week and I agree very much about the thought that has gone into the design. I showed my 21 year old son around it yesterday and he's going to get one when he (a) afford it and (b) he can get insured. So that will be the T.12 then...I plan to do some reasonably local trips over the the next few months and then range wider afield in Spring onwards. Ireland and Europe defo on the cards in a year or so.

Hi all. I‘m collecting my new Cali Ocean on Monday. It’s a 150PS with the only extras as shower attachment and comfort mattress. Yes, I’m quite excited and I’ve been gathering various accessories, based on ideas on the forum. However:

Should I be optimistic - after all it’s a VW and I’ve had several Golfs with no problems. Why should the CalI be different ?

A fellow lady (if that makes sense!) - Remember everyone here on the forum is here to help. I'm so glad I joined the club - a treasure trove of support. Love your van. We all do!!

Back