Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting the new Cali - optimism or pessimism ?

Many thanks - beautiful photo. I've had it almost a week and I agree very much about the thought that has gone into the design. I showed my 21 year old son around it yesterday and he's going to get one when he (a) afford it and (b) he can get insured. So that will be the T.12 then...I plan to do some reasonably local trips over the the next few months and then range wider afield in Spring onwards. Ireland and Europe defo on the cards in a year or so.
Both our kids (23 & 24) would like to take it away! Mojave beige is a great colour but a crap name. If they called it Mojave sand I’m sure it would be more popular. We have only managed about 30 nights in ours this year but have a plan for 4-5 weeks in Europe next year. It is a second car for us so gets used regularly but we are still getting used to it and, indeed, have forgotten our Bluetooth speaker this weekend. I must make a list and check it really.
Enjoy, it is a great vehicle.

Both our kids (23 & 24) would like to take it away! Mojave beige is a great colour but a crap name. If they called it Mojave sand I’m sure it would be more popular. We have only managed about 30 nights in ours this year but have a plan for 4-5 weeks in Europe next year. It is a second car for us so gets used regularly but we are still getting used to it and, indeed, have forgotten our Bluetooth speaker this weekend. I must make a list and check it really.
Thanks a lot - very encouraging!

46D7B020-3765-4979-9DF4-ECAA7F24EDCD.jpeg

Fabulous choice, here is a hire one we hired in Orkney - all the best with the new California

Our ‘kids’ 33 and 31, and their better half’s, have made similar noises. Not saying that we’re protective of our lovely van, but so far we’ve shared it with them both - as joint trips with at least one of us also there ;-)

As our daughter has a young ‘un - soon to be joined by our son - the benefit of cheap get always using the van and big drive away awning, is now coming into its own. When you’re sharing time as a family camping, doing the odd BBQ, walking to the pub, playing on the beach, it’s really special. Both are now wanting their own Cali.

So I hope you enjoy sharing your van life with your kids, and who knows, maybe the seed will be planted to expand the Cali owning club?!

Our ‘kids’ 33 and 31, and their better half’s, have made similar noises. Not saying that we’re protective of our lovely van, but so far we’ve shared it with them both - as joint trips with at least one of us also there ;-)

As our daughter has a young ‘un - soon to be joined by our son - the benefit of cheap get always using the van and big drive away awning, is now coming into its own. When you’re sharing time as a family camping, doing the odd BBQ, walking to the pub, playing on the beach, it’s really special. Both are now wanting their own Cali.

So I hope you enjoy sharing your van life with your kids, and who knows, maybe the seed will be planted to expand the Cali owning club?!
Thank you ! We’ve done family camping, solo wild camping, so we’ve experienced the tents and thermarests and Trangias etc. so now it’s time to be much more comfortable!

Waiting for a delivery date for ours, but one thing I would say having bought many new cars over the years since the appearance of online forums I would never had bought a single one if I took all The bad stuff. Remember the majority of people buy a new vehicle and never had an issue. This forum is great on the whole because it’s balanced and really helpfull but it’s human nature you read more of the bad than the good! Have fun and can’t wait for ours!

Waiting for a delivery date for ours, but one thing I would say having bought many new cars over the years since the appearance of online forums I would never had bought a single one if I took all The bad stuff. Remember the majority of people buy a new vehicle and never had an issue. This forum is great on the whole because it’s balanced and really helpfull but it’s human nature you read more of the bad than the good! Have fun and can’t wait for ours!
Hi. Well so far so good. Handover was perfect, all working well.

Your point is very astute. This is probably the first vehicle I’ve bought when I’ve read about it more before I had it. It’s never been a concern before. And many posts etc have helped the steep learning carve well in advance of pickup. I think I was being overly cautious

Just remember an online forum on any subject will always highlight the best points along with the worst. Don't get scared by the faults as they will always be in a higher concentration online.

California Chris will get you through the first month and fill in the gaps the dealer missed.

Enjoy it.
If you read my hysterical posts on every Hyundai forum about my useless electric car you would assume the worst.

Then again never buy or lease a Hyundai!

If you read my hysterical posts on every Hyundai forum about my useless electric car you would assume the worst.

Then again never buy or lease a Hyundai!
Sorry to hear that. I’m currently in Vienna and there are Transporter based VWs everywhere. Including the Polizei. So as an earlier poster said, the base vehicle has a very long and successful pedigree.

Back