Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reducing diesel costs

The OP wants to know how to achieve better mpg from his/her/their Cali on his/her regular commute, which IMO is a reasonable question to ask. I am sure that he/she/they are enjoying it but that doesn't mean he/she should forget about the economics.

Last edited:
They also have air brakes, dangerous slipstreaming HGV
Air is used instead of hydraulic oil to operate disc or drum brakes. Ultimately the tyre to road friction controls the stopping process.
Slipstreaming isn't a case of illegal tailgating to get the benefits. HGV's are limited to 56MPH which has a closer following distance than is required at 70MPH.

It takes over a litre of fuel to get an HGV back up to speed from a stop which is why they try to keep moving rather than stop start in congested traffic. You will even see that they try not come to a stop at traffic lights or roundabouts.

Each to their own Borris, enjoy the slipstreaming and freewheeling.
Farl
Actually, I do neither nor do I spend time checking the mpg. When the tank's empty I fill it.
The advice I gave is nothing new and mainly common sense and was given to help the OP improve his/her fuel consumption. It isn't compulsory so please feel free to ignore it.
As far as slipstreaming is concerned, I suspect that to get any real benefit from this practice you would have to be travelling far too close to the vehicle in front for safety. Obviously that would be dangerous. From memory the dsg gearbox has a switchable freewheeling feature but to drive a manual vehicle whilst freewheeling in neutral isn't good driving practice either. I was once on an old bus on Malta where the driver kept knocking the vehicle out of gear to descend hills!

Last edited:
That was your reason for not being behind an HGV with no explanation as to what difference or relevance that had.

I'm still not pickin' up what you're puttin' down, but maybe I'm a bit thick. What should the mechanics of an HGV braking system have to do with a persons choice to follow said HGV or not? Just trying to understand.

I can save between 3 to 5p a litre just buy being price aware in our locality.

I'm still not pickin' up what you're puttin' down, but maybe I'm a bit thick. What should the mechanics of an HGV braking system have to do with a persons choice to follow said HGV or not? Just trying to understand.
Nothing. It was given as reason not to follow/slipstream HGV's earlier.

ACC uses this slipstreaming principal as it automatically follows the vehicle in front. The principal is well proven even in nature where migrating birds use it and is a main feature in such things as cycle road or track racing.

Often used to wonder if all commuters that went from A to B were to meet with the ones going from B to A, how many could simply swap jobs to cut out the commute.

Often used to wonder if all commuters that went from A to B were to meet with the ones going from B to A, how many could simply swap jobs to cut out the commute.
LOL..
But actually I have thought similar things...
I recognise cars going the opposite way to me in the morning that I see coming back after work as we swap directions.

Buy a pre 2017 smart car. Up to 70mpg no congestion charge and no road tax and the inside is like a big grown up car eg heated seats, air con, excellent sound system, generous leather seats, mfsw, big wide doors, fits in the smallest spaces and fits nicely on the drive by the Cali. I love my Cali but I do find Smarty very useful too!

Has anyone fitted the ezero1 from cgon that has been featured in the press this week? This device generates and injects small quantities of hydrogen into the fuel mix and claims to drastically reduce emissions and also improve mpg. I'd like to some evidence of it working well in a T5 before shelling out near to £500.

Thanks
Chris
2007 T5 2.5 TDI SE 174 Auto

Has anyone fitted the ezero1 from cgon that has been featured in the press this week? This device generates and injects small quantities of hydrogen into the fuel mix and claims to drastically reduce emissions and also improve mpg. I'd like to some evidence of it working well in a T5 before shelling out near to £500.

Thanks
Chris
https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/cgon-ltd-a17-386763.html

Thanks
Chris

More snake oil. Homeopathy for motors.

If it seems to good to be true, it almost invariably is.

Their figures & claims seem as accurate as VWs own:D

Update. After taking an enormous amount of gear out from my small cupboards. - Clearly a good packer; driving under 60; using consumption indicator to keep me focussed; driving behind lorries (but not slip streaming) to ‘coach’ efficient driving, I’ve upped mpg to about 41. Will test properly and look at driving times to avoid motorway car park. Thanks for advice

Fill the rear with helium balloons may reduce the weight a little. ;)

Also make sure you charge your battery via hookup once a month, it helps the bluemotion work more often which can also save a little fuel. I find cruise makes a big difference to mpg but the biggest effect is by staying in the 60mph zone.

Fill the rear with helium balloons may reduce the weight a little. ;)

Also make sure you charge your battery via hookup once a month, it helps the bluemotion work more often which can also save a little fuel. I find cruise makes a big difference to mpg but the biggest effect is by staying in the 60mph zone.

By hooking up at home, you will spend the money saved on diesel on an increased electricity bill.

And now I’m £700 lighter after service and new front tyres. Hope that helps a bit

Back