Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Registering Cali conversion with DVLA

No, the rules did not change, it was the way that the DVLA interpreted them that changed. That is what all the fuss has been about.
Yes, I appreciate that mine was converted prior to 2019 but the VED should still be £275 on either a vehicle with 'Motor Caravan' or 'Van with windows' on the V5C regardless of its conversion date or purchase date. As far as I am aware the the exception to this is vehicles over 3.5t which are even lower.
As far as I am aware the VED rate is dependent on the initial registration class M1 Diesel Car, or N1 Commercial vehicle. M class are variable VED based on CO2 emissions, N class are flat rate.
Body Class, Passenger vehicle, MPV, Motor Caravan or Van with windows determine speed limits. Passenger or Motor Caravan or MPV have car speed limits on all roads whereas Van with Windows have a reduced limit on some roads.

Body Class, Passenger vehicle, MPV, Motor Caravan or Van with windows determine speed limits. Passenger or Motor Caravan or MPV have car speed limits on all roads whereas Van with Windows have a reduced limit on some roads.
Unless it meets the critera for a motorcaravan (campervan) and then you can use car speeds.

See this post containing a letter from the DVLA

Unless it meets the critera for a motorcaravan (campervan) and then you can use car speeds.

Hi @Loz doesn't this particular vehicle opens up a whole new can of worms!

If it is followed up with the DVLA it will be interesting to hear how the wriggle their way around it.

As far as I am aware the VED rate is dependent on the initial registration class M1 Diesel Car, or N1 Commercial vehicle. M class are variable VED based on CO2 emissions, N class are flat rate.
VED depends also on the date of registration. Different rules apply at different dates.
My 2015 Cali SE, M1 Motor caravan = emissions based
My 2020 Cali Ocean, M1 Motor Caravan = Flat rate same as a van, no £40k+ additional tax.

A vehicle registered as a van with windows, fitted out to be a Campervan has car speed limits according to Jerba & on their website they give good reasons as to why that is the case. They are probably right but I wouldn't wan't to be the one relying on their article as a defence in court.

That may be the case, but I don't see many proper vans observing the speed differences on local dual carriageways so it is a moot point anyway. But as far as the OPS point about VED, there is no change.

Later 2.5's were in the high emission category with the likes of Range Rovers which has to do with the engine and not the body as such.
Being an Ex Caravelle M1 reg (car) would put it into that category rather than a cheaper commercial van one.

Basically you are stuck in that tax band.

That may be the case, but I don't see many proper vans observing the speed differences on local dual carriageways so it is a moot point anyway. But as far as the OPS point about VED, there is no change.
I agree, but the difference comes when you get an automatic NIP through the post, your builder's van will get a fine and you can get it rescinded if you are converted etc.

Later 2.5's were in the high emission category with the likes of Range Rovers which has to do with the engine and not the body as such.
Being an Ex Caravelle M1 reg (car) would put it into that category rather than a cheaper commercial van one.

Basically you are stuck in that tax band.
Ah thankyou, it does sound like thats the case. its a 2006 2.5, and class M1 which I think it tax band L, so looks like im stuck with that tax bill sadly.

Ah thankyou, it does sound like thats the case. its a 2006 2.5, and class M1 which I think it tax band L, so looks like im stuck with that tax bill sadly.
Recall a case on here where a second user (genuine) Cali 2.5 was purchased and the same unexpected VED rate issue came to light after purchase.

Yes I remember the hoo ha about new regs and writing about it about in Nov 2019
"...The VW Transporter uses two chassis bases, M1 for passenger carrying vehicles and N1 for Panel Vans and Kombis and this will be something to watch out for now if you are contemplating buying an ex-commercial to convert. Conversion companies which use an N1 chassis may also find problems, as they can no longer register it as Motor Caravan. Bigger players use the M1 base, and it’s down to them to get IVA inspection and DVLA classification as Motor Caravan, so things like VW’s own California Ocean are unaffected. Or are they? Apparently some new T6 Oceans are now being classed as MPVs on the V5, but I have not yet worked out what that means in practice, apart from not worrying about lower speed limits! And coming back to the conspiracy theorists, it now costs a lot more road tax if buying a vehicle classed as a Motor Caravan!"

My recollection is that this all changed about 18 months ago, much furore in vanlife forums. New rules are you need a permanent high top, so decals won't cut it no matter whether you use flowers, elephants or surfboards.

I know it is inconsistent but I think you are on a hiding to nothing in trying to get a T5 reclassified now, sorry
This is correct without the high top no chance of getting the motor home classification. The insurance companies know all about this, so are still willing to keep the same rates as before, there are some European insurance disadvantages I think though. As far as my understanding the factory California are now classed as an MPV.

As far as my understanding the factory California are now classed as an MPV.
That was correct for 2019 and currently the beach tour. It appears that the mini kitchen in the beach camper is sufficient to classify it as a camper currently.

Quite how or why external graphics can alter the status or tax-ability of a vehicle is beyond me. Bureaucracy gone mad!

That was only for a specific time period, (2018/2019?) not the case anymore
So the 6.1 are campervans again ? Can you reapply to get the oceans from 2018-2019 to be campervans ?

Back