Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reliable California?

Coming back to the original question...Having had the privilege to actually drive a variety of the new T6s to me its an all round improvement and the minor tweaks on the Cali like getting rid of that flexi light and having proper lights in front and rear of roof are good. It's also surprisingly even quieter in the cab when driving.
Would I buy one..yes but no need as I am happy with ours 140 PS as is. I love the DSG but when I had one on loan it returned 30 mpg (it was the 180 PS as well); ours does 37 mpg. The new T6s will be even more economical.

Quick question. Does the T6 150 DSG come in 4 Motion. I was considering the 204 but this thread and others has made me think again. Ta!

I wouldn't worry too much, after all, yes people have experienced issues but it doesn't mean you will (I don't know the exact figures but it's probably still a small percentage of the total sold).

Also there is no weakening of the engine to meet the new Euro 6 regs - it is a case of re-engineering the EGR with cooling etc. etc. to produce less NOx (or NO2). Of course the reason why VW has released the T6 (and everyone saying they are disappointed it's doesn't seem to be totally revamped) is purely to meet the new Euro 6 regs, cars already in production have until September 2016 to modify or change engines to meet Euro 6.

Rather than calling it a 5.2 or whatever as people have suggested, VW thought it was probably quite nice that it tied in nicely with Euro 6 = T6 - I don't know, just a theory!!

The main plus point (and I'm being positive and saying +) is that the bits that go wrong a lot (or would appear to) is the EGR. It's been long known that all VAG diesel engines have had problems with the EGR valve (not just VW, T5's etc. but all), so I'm sure VW have made an attempt to address the issue (again being positive here people :) )

I would get the vehicle which suits you best - in my case in a year or so that will be the 204 4Motion. I'm sure you will have no problems and many years and miles of happy camping (one final being positive ;) )

There is one other advantage of getting a Euro 6 compliant vehicle - it won't be long before major towns and cities charge for driving a diesel in them - London is talking of an additional £10 but Boris Johnson is saying the Euro 6 engines will be exempt - fine if you never go into a major town or city, but we all do every now and then?

Coming back to the original question...Having had the privilege to actually drive a variety of the new T6s to me its an all round improvement and the minor tweaks on the Cali like getting rid of that flexi light and having proper lights in front and rear of roof are good. It's also surprisingly even quieter in the cab when driving.
Would I buy one..yes but no need as I am happy with ours 140 PS as is. I love the DSG but when I had one on loan it returned 30 mpg (it was the 180 PS as well); ours does 37 mpg. The new T6s will be even more economical.
I agree DSG is awesome and I shall have to have a think (thanks Kernowlad) I am surprised by your MPG. I regularly get in the 50s and for a laugh have driven dead steady and achieved 60MPG on my Touran which goes like the wind. Would be surprised if the DSG was the issue with your MPG.

I wouldn't worry too much, after all, yes people have experienced issues but it doesn't mean you will (I don't know the exact figures but it's probably still a small percentage of the total sold).

Also there is no weakening of the engine to meet the new Euro 6 regs - it is a case of re-engineering the EGR with cooling etc. etc. to produce less NOx (or NO2). Of course the reason why VW has released the T6 (and everyone saying they are disappointed it's doesn't seem to be totally revamped) is purely to meet the new Euro 6 regs, cars already in production have until September 2016 to modify or change engines to meet Euro 6.

Rather than calling it a 5.2 or whatever as people have suggested, VW thought it was probably quite nice that it tied in nicely with Euro 6 = T6 - I don't know, just a theory!!

The main plus point (and I'm being positive and saying +) is that the bits that go wrong a lot (or would appear to) is the EGR. It's been long known that all VAG diesel engines have had problems with the EGR valve (not just VW, T5's etc. but all), so I'm sure VW have made an attempt to address the issue (again being positive here people :) )

I would get the vehicle which suits you best - in my case in a year or so that will be the 204 4Motion. I'm sure you will have no problems and many years and miles of happy camping (one final being positive ;) )

There is one other advantage of getting a Euro 6 compliant vehicle - it won't be long before major towns and cities charge for driving a diesel in them - London is talking of an additional £10 but Boris Johnson is saying the Euro 6 engines will be exempt - fine if you never go into a major town or city, but we all do every now and then?
Thanks! I have to say it is still my gut instinct. I like a vehicle that gives plenty of top end flexibility which is why I had the top of the range Touran. I think it's safer. I have not been disappointed.
As for the 4Motion. Much the same reason. Should feel even more planted and with the right tyres (Yes I have read all the threads I believe on tyres etc) ...I should be able to anywhere, well anywhere I would take 60k worth of vehicle anyway.

Indeed, I stand corrected, no DSG 4 motion with the 150.

That would rule the 150 out for me, both 4WD and DSG are essentials.

For that positive contribution I do need to make a full apology for my rather "shoot from the hip" remark yesterday :) I was wrongly interpreting many of your comments attributing much of the recent upsurge in negativity to your good self.

I bought a 140, 4 Motion, (Nov 2011 build), visited the factory Hanover pre purchase very impressed with the enthusiasm of the workforce for their product, the galvanised steel that goes into the construction, and the outstanding high tec quality control within the factory. my vehicle arrived December, faultless out of the box, has performed without any hiccups ever since, so what's the secret, ... well ... its never been into the dealer for any work barring its MOT beginning of this year, lol. I do my own servicing and preventive maintenance.
This may sound like a wind up of those who can't do their own maintenance, its not, the reality is, you put your vehicle in to a 'tradesman' for servicing, it's not his van, he makes most profit for least work. If the mechanic skips servicing, cuts corners, misses checks, you won't know, till you come to a stop at the side of the road, and sooner or later, and tied to a warranty ? you will be back to the same dealer for that skimped work to be done.

My opinion is that Hanover roll out a superb van by the thousands, and on a separate site a niche product the California Camper, its expensive, and its complex, it may occasionally have some niggling faults out of the box, what's then missing is the expertise in the UK dealer networks to fix habitation faults in your camper to original Factory Quality standards, why should they invest in that expertise? they sell so few California's, relative to their commercial vans, and they sell them generally in 'ones' to private individuals, not fleets to fleet managers with financial clout.

Unless California owners can lever VW Europe into insisting dealerships put 'Camper van Centres of Expertise' into their UK dealership network, and insisting those van centres that are happy to sell Californias and Beaches invest in training and said expertise, the dealerships will continue, excuse the language, to take the wee wee, with their private buyer California and Beach camper sales.

I shall put my soap box away now, ... and sorry I don't do foreigners servicing.

Rob H

Hi All, just thought I'd drop back in.
The camper itch is coming back having done a "normal" holiday this Summer - perfectly nice but not very "explorey."

Now as many know, our Cali (2012, 180 4motion) turned out to be a complete PITA. Loads of fun while it worked but IMO any modern diesel just isn't fit for purpose hence common EGR valve/cooler failures, DPF issues, etc. Add the steering column and corrosion issues (we had many more) and our "dream" vehicle turned out to be a nightmare. Did we get a lemon? I had several people contact me when we sold ours, keen to get shot of theirs too; some had many more issues than us. Add four mates who have had to sell their 180 T5.1s (non Calis) and a picture formed that VWs need avoiding.

Anyway we've looked at alternatives - Vitos, the Ford Transit (which IMO is a better van and more reliable but lacks a decent power option and even the best conversions look too "aftermarket"), even motorhomes (just too big for anything but Euro trips). Then renting them. And then caravans.

However we're just not getting very far - is the 140 maybe more reliable than the 180? Could the new T6 Cali (when it comes out) be better made with a proper steering column and roof paint? I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the T6 is such a tiny tiny facelift - more T5.1.2 than T6. And the engines look almost the same.

Sorry for the VW bashing but there's no doubting that the Cali is the best packaged van. If it was just more reliable, we'd get another. Is it worth looking at a 140? Or the T6? Or anything else? Cheers!

The California is a lot heavier than a Touran. My 180 averages 30-31 based on actual fuel consumption, but then I use all 180 hp.
On my recent little outing to Nordkapp, 5350 miles I averaged 32mpg, but that did include using the diesel Heater most nights, and travelling at the speed limits or more as the Swedish motorists seem to think the speed limit is the minimum on the open road, and there are a lot of open roads in Sweden.:D

I bought a 140, 4 Motion, (Nov 2011 build), visited the factory Hanover pre purchase very impressed with the enthusiasm of the workforce for their product, the galvanised steel that goes into the construction, and the outstanding high tec quality control within the factory. my vehicle arrived December, faultless out of the box, has performed without any hiccups ever since, so what's the secret, ... well ... its never been into the dealer for any work barring its MOT beginning of this year, lol. I do my own servicing and preventive maintenance.
This may sound like a wind up of those who can't do their own maintenance, its not, the reality is, you put your vehicle in to a 'tradesman' for servicing, it's not his van, he makes most profit for least work. If the mechanic skips servicing, cuts corners, misses checks, you won't know, till you come to a stop at the side of the road, and sooner or later, and tied to a warranty ? you will be back to the same dealer for that skimped work to be done.

My opinion is that Hanover roll out a superb van by the thousands, and on a separate site a niche product the California Camper, its expensive, and its complex, it may occasionally have some niggling faults out of the box, what's then missing is the expertise in the UK dealer networks to fix habitation faults in your camper to original Factory Quality standards, why should they invest in that expertise? they sell so few California's, relative to their commercial vans, and they sell them generally in 'ones' to private individuals, not fleets to fleet managers with financial clout.

Unless California owners can lever VW Europe into insisting dealerships put 'Camper van Centres of Expertise' into their UK dealership network, and insisting those van centres that are happy to sell Californias and Beaches invest in training and said expertise, the dealerships will continue, excuse the language, to take the ****, with their private buyer California and Beach camper sales.

I shall put my soap box away now, ... and sorry I don't do foreigners servicing.

Rob H

A brilliant post Rob

Echo's my thoughts exactly.

A brilliant, well thought out, well put together vehicle with probably the most rubbish after-market support anywhere.

Mine has been ultra reliable. Just the standard rear brake light fell off
In France I do thrash it once a month to keep it sweet

If I was buying now it would be the 204. 54 extra horses is a lot to be missing out on. It's under warranty for 3 years so why worry. Why not have the ultimate Cali?

You're already spending stacks of money, the extra for the more powerful engine won't make much difference and the kids would only get it in the end anyway :D

For that positive contribution I do need to make a full apology for my rather "shoot from the hip" remark yesterday :) I was wrongly interpreting many of your comments attributing much of the recent upsurge in negativity to your good self.
If I was buying now it would be the 204. 54 extra horses is a lot to be missing out on. It's under warranty for 3 years so why worry. Why not have the ultimate Cali?

You're already spending stacks of money, the extra for the more powerful engine won't make much difference and the kids would only get it in the end anyway :D
I agree. A very useful thread which has helped to clear my mind. I shall still be patient, let things settle and then no doubt purchase my Cali

Ok. So can someone tell me why the 180 is reputed to have worse EGR problems then?

And now we're browsing the ads for Calis again. So not all bad...!

Mini return to hijack just to finish off the Beemer diversion: Kernow, just got back from local stealers; I drove the 330d M-Sport first - awesome, awesome, effortless, superb mid range power, great fun but a real license threatener! And one squirrel down.... :(

Then the 320D Sport, as expected a come down of course, slightly clattery, have to work the gears but TBH probably more than enough for everyday use. How often these days can you take advantage of the 3 litre? Did blast past others at 60 - *0 though, really punchy. Two surprises: how brilliant the M-sport ride quality was (did not expect that) and how horrid the Sport wheel is after the M-Sport, great big bulbous thing that obscures the trip computer. And amazing how they pack so much more cabin space front and rear and boot space in the latest 3 though considering it's only 12 " longer than the 1. I don't know - would have to be the M-Sport I think just for the wheel although I don't like the front bodykit. Or...maybe as I have such a soft spot for the 1 look at an M-Sport there, I think the facelifts have a bit more rear room. Maybe a 125D but not sure how many about - looking at a 14/15 plate.

The 125d is very quick indeed but rare as you say; depreciates harder than other one series though which could be helpful? Bizarrely the M135i has a slightly more useful bench seat so takes three kids; the others have two more sculpted seats I think?

Interesting observations about the 3; I found it a bit big after our E91 335d but there is more rear seat space. Clearly I'm biased to the six cylinders but if you can't use it much, maybe there's no point; the 320d certainly scores well (in fact probably the best of any car) on bhp vs mpg.

My wife just had a long chat with a Ford converter (a well known one) and... Was completely put off! Too high, too heavy, too low rent, too aftermarket.

We'll see what a few VW dealers come back with. Is there a "resident" one on here any more (another Alex?!)?

On the whole, should I/shouldn't I, new versus old debate, I'd say Ewan from the Wild About Scotland blog pretty much nails it here:

http://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/08/08/is-the-new-vw-t6-california-for-me/

Also, it's a fantastic blog for reminding us what inspires us to be so passionate about Cali ownership in the first place!
Totally agree thanks for the link. It was his original article of VW Califorina versus conversions which originally inspired us to look into buying a Cali. Very measured, realistic thoughts.

Well the first quote is in and it seems fairly reasonable...

Well it does seem that the 180 is much worse; I've not heard of a single troublesome 140.

Having had three EGR valves done, I do know that the 180 is MUCH harder to do as it's an engine out job. That's not a cause but it does mean a 180 EGR valve replacement out of warranty will cost you about double the labour.

Sorry, it's not an engine out job but the front bumper and panels above as well as radiator etc: have to come off whereas the 140 can be done in place without removing any body panels or radiator etc: .:thumb

Back