Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reliable California?

Okay thanks but it still takes twice as long.

True. When I had mine replaced it was a different design and required a software upgrade. Also it came from Germany.

Same here (the third time around); unfortunately it took nine weeks to realise the new EGR valve needed that software update...!

Hi All, just thought I'd drop back in.
The camper itch is coming back having done a "normal" holiday this Summer - perfectly nice but not very "explorey."

Now as many know, our Cali (2012, 180 4motion) turned out to be a complete PITA. Loads of fun while it worked but IMO any modern diesel just isn't fit for purpose hence common EGR valve/cooler failures, DPF issues, etc. Add the steering column and corrosion issues (we had many more) and our "dream" vehicle turned out to be a nightmare. Did we get a lemon? I had several people contact me when we sold ours, keen to get shot of theirs too; some had many more issues than us. Add four mates who have had to sell their 180 T5.1s (non Calis) and a picture formed that VWs need avoiding.

Anyway we've looked at alternatives - Vitos, the Ford Transit (which IMO is a better van and more reliable but lacks a decent power option and even the best conversions look too "aftermarket"), even motorhomes (just too big for anything but Euro trips). Then renting them. And then caravans.

However we're just not getting very far - is the 140 maybe more reliable than the 180? Could the new T6 Cali (when it comes out) be better made with a proper steering column and roof paint? I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the T6 is such a tiny tiny facelift - more T5.1.2 than T6. And the engines look almost the same.

Sorry for the VW bashing but there's no doubting that the Cali is the best packaged van. If it was just more reliable, we'd get another. Is it worth looking at a 140? Or the T6? Or anything else? Cheers!
We have just completed our first 2 month holiday with our 2015 140 Cali, put 4000 miles on her and no problems encountered at all. I hope your bad experience with the 180 will not be repeated should you buy a 140.

Well I'm reasonably sure we'll be ordering a T6 soon... so quite a turnaround.

Having had ours for three years (high spec 180 4motion) we've learned what we do need and don't.

Firstly we'll not have sat nav - our Kenwood quickly became dated and very very hard to update. We also have factory nav in the BMW and again, while it works well, updating is £200 a go (I managed to get it done cheaper) on a £1000 option. Meanwhile we have a top end Garmin Nuvi (looks like an iPhone) for our Subaru; the mapping is superb, updates for life, speed camera alerts, speed limits always shown, superb navigation. £299 and it knocks spots off any factory nav I've seen.

There are also two critical items now standard - BT and climate control - brilliant!

4motion - a tough one as I really don't like FWD but how much did we actually use it in our 180? Hardly ever if I'm totally honest and there's a fair penalty in fuel use. I like it but I think we'll leave it.

150 engine - the more I read, the more I'm convinced the bi-turbo engine in the 180 (soon to be 205) is a major headache. Checking up on Amoroks and it's the same story (the only other VW to share the engine). Of course I'll miss that extra oomph but I won't miss constant worries and unreliability. The 205 might be better but with even MORE emissions bashing ancillaries, I'm not hopeful.

So if we do press the button, it'll be a light spec 150 with privacy glass, parking sensors, metallic paint and an awning. We shall see how we get on the second time around; we have a few dealers on the case. We'd also keep our two cars and NOT use this for any local trips seeing as modern diesels just can't cope with them any more.

If a petrol one did come out, I think we'd hastily change to that ASAP!

Having had ours for three years (high spec 180 4motion) we've learned what we do need and don't.

Firstly we'll not have sat nav - our Kenwood quickly became dated and very very hard to update. We also have factory nav in the BMW and again, while it works well, updating is £200 a go (I managed to get it done cheaper) on a £1000 option. Meanwhile we have a top end Garmin Nuvi (looks like an iPhone) for our Subaru; the mapping is superb, updates for life, speed camera alerts, speed limits always shown, superb navigation. £299 and it knocks spots off any factory nav I've seen.

There are also two critical items now standard - BT and climate control - brilliant!

4motion - a tough one as I really don't like FWD but how much did we actually use it in our 180? Hardly ever if I'm totally honest and there's a fair penalty in fuel use. I like it but I think we'll leave it.

150 engine - the more I read, the more I'm convinced the bi-turbo engine in the 180 (soon to be 205) is a major headache. Checking up on Amoroks and it's the same story (the only other VW to share the engine). Of course I'll miss that extra oomph but I won't miss constant worries and unreliability. The 205 might be better but with even MORE emissions bashing ancillaries, I'm not hopeful.

So if we do press the button, it'll be a light spec 150 with privacy glass, parking sensors, metallic paint and an awning. We shall see how we get on the second time around; we have a few dealers on the case. We'd also keep our two cars and NOT use this for any local trips seeing as modern diesels just can't cope with them any more.

I can see why you have arrived at your decision. I would find it very hard indeed to give up the extra power from the 204 so will continue to wait until I know more. As for the sat nav I have had the same thoughts. Very expensive option when you can get the Garmin for £150 with lifetime maps and traffic!band the option to upgrade to the latest with minimal cost.. I would like it built in however even if I accepted the cost what other benefits are there??

If a petrol one did come out, I think we'd hastily change to that ASAP![/QUOTE]
I can see why you have arrived at your decision. I would find it very hard indeed to give up the extra power from the 204 so will continue to wait until I know more. As for the sat nav I have had the same thoughts. Very expensive option when you can get the Garmin for £150 with lifetime maps and traffic!band the option to upgrade to the latest with minimal cost.. I would like it built in however even if I accepted the cost what other benefits are there?? Need to find out more I think about the Discover Media Plus!

It's such a leap of faith specifying some options; especially tech related ones. What else would you spend £100s if not £1000s on without trying first?!

It's such a leap of faith specifying some options; especially tech related ones. What else would you spend £100s if not £1000s on without trying first?!
Yep agreed! Found some you tube stuff on Discover Media. On the Discover Media Plus though only in German. I shall wait and have s look at one

No cruise Kernowlad ? Not standard anymore. Husband uses the cruise a lot on our cars. He is keen on the adaptive cruise.
Agree on the Garmin Nuvi, very good on recent France trip

"Firstly we'll not have sat nav - our Kenwood quickly became dated and very very hard to update"

Can completely see where you're coming from here. We thought long and hard about a Kenwood upgrade. Not just for the SatNav, but also for the DAB radio option, but we decided to persevere with a Garmin Nuvi and connected iPod.

Haven't regretted the decision one bit. The Garmin is an excellent device, plus, as a self confessed music snob, I feel I'm far better at curating a soundtrack to our Cali road trips than 99.9 % of the radio DJs out there ;)

Hi All, just thought I'd drop back in.
The camper itch is coming back having done a "normal" holiday this Summer - perfectly nice but not very "explorey."

Now as many know, our Cali (2012, 180 4motion) turned out to be a complete PITA. Loads of fun while it worked but IMO any modern diesel just isn't fit for purpose hence common EGR valve/cooler failures, DPF issues, etc. Add the steering column and corrosion issues (we had many more) and our "dream" vehicle turned out to be a nightmare. Did we get a lemon? I had several people contact me when we sold ours, keen to get shot of theirs too; some had many more issues than us. Add four mates who have had to sell their 180 T5.1s (non Calis) and a picture formed that VWs need avoiding.

Anyway we've looked at alternatives - Vitos, the Ford Transit (which IMO is a better van and more reliable but lacks a decent power option and even the best conversions look too "aftermarket"), even motorhomes (just too big for anything but Euro trips). Then renting them. And then caravans.

However we're just not getting very far - is the 140 maybe more reliable than the 180? Could the new T6 Cali (when it comes out) be better made with a proper steering column and roof paint? I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the T6 is such a tiny tiny facelift - more T5.1.2 than T6. And the engines look almost the same.

Sorry for the VW bashing but there's no doubting that the Cali is the best packaged van. If it was just more reliable, we'd get another. Is it worth looking at a 140? Or the T6? Or anything else? Cheers!

I think you bought a lemon. No problems at all with mine.

So if we do press the button, it'll be a light spec 150 with privacy glass, parking sensors, metallic paint and an awning
I think that is a very sensible choice. If i were to choose again i would drop some of the expensive toys/options. A spec like that with a sensible engine in the right colour is a good idea, it will be the new model so very desirable should you sell whatever the spec. The camper part is the same anyway and that is why you are buying it. Spend the extra money on a set of nice alloys, side bars, lowered and you have a belter. All season tyres or winters will help with any winter trips/ damp campsites.

No cruise Kernowlad ? Not standard anymore. Husband uses the cruise a lot on our cars. He is keen on the adaptive cruise.
Agree on the Garmin Nuvi, very good on recent France trip

It's a possible; I do use it a bit.

Alleluia! Sense returns to forum. The fun you have with these vehicles bears no relation to the huge spec that gets stacked on to them.
Privacy and awning, colour of your choice, then parking sensors to keep it tidy is all you need.
Spend the rest on fuel, campsites and in the pub.

Well it does seem that the 180 is much worse; I've not heard of a single troublesome 140.

this ^

in 5 years of owning a 140 ive had to replace a tail light bulb.

T4WFA; Or maybe all the bits we sold; mattress topper, roof bars, roof cover, etc?!! Oops.

Good post though; the wife approves!

Perhaps a 140 is the answer?
Or the new 150?

We'll keep a close eye on them when releases and maybe get a test drive. Impossible to judge reliability though; I'm hoping the T7 will have a completely different engine but it'll be a long way off.

My Dads T4 Caravelle (converted rather well to a camper) is built like a tank in comparison. A shame they all have tiny power engines.
Hi Kernow Lad. I have had no issues with my 140. It's a Cornish dream. You are welcome to come and have a look over it and a drive. No problem on the hills round Truro and 37 mpg. Tyres are 16 inch so cheap there too.

Back