Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remove sliding door panel?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
After replacing the camping table in the sliding door (taking it out for the first time in our second-hand Cali was already quite difficult) - it got stuck. Now I can't move the handle that locks it, and I can't take it out. I think I will need to remove the panel on the door? Is this an easy job to do? Or any other suggestions?

Does anybody know how to do this?

I do not think removing the panel will give you any better access. Yes you could perhaps fold the panel, which may or may not help to remove the table. But in general, I would keep trying, by using a bit of force and perhaps a spoon or screwdriver to lift it. In fact the table always stays they there rather firmly.

OK, I finally managed to release the table - with some amount of force as suggested. It appears that the metal clip that holds and releases the table, does not move as easy as it should. Right now, by accident I pushed the black plastic handle (covering the metal one) too far up. But this way it uncovers the metal handle, so I can release it more easily. I think I am going to leave it this way - unless somebody has a better option?

The panel is fairly easy to remove you just need to pull it of carefully all round it is only held on with some white plastic plugs. This is on a 2008 Cali se.

I tried to... Had to unscrew to screws at the bottom. Then tried to take it off, but it would not come off at the left side, near the lock mechanism. Maybe I will try again later...

The problem is often the locking mechanism holding the table. Remove the door trim and it is straight forward repair by putting double set of nuts plus thread-locking-fluid. And lubricate the mechanisms...
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I need to remove the sliding door panel as we have the same problem - the catch for the table is stuck, in the up position, so that the table cannot be stowed. I had a look but I can't work out how to remove the panel. Any suggestions, ideally with photos? Thanks.

Blimey! yes, thank you, WelshGas, it should help - doesn't look that simple though.

Blimey! yes, thank you, WelshGas, it should help - doesn't look that simple though.
You basically pull it off, see posts above, as it is held on by plastic pegs that clip on the panel in a slot and which are pushed into plastic sockets inset in the door frame. A trim removal tool can be useful and often these plastic pegs can break but they are easily and cheaply available from a Dealer or eBay.

Thanks. I haven't yet been able to figure out where to start the prising-off, but will have a look tomorrow in daylight with the exploded diagram.

Thanks. I haven't yet been able to figure out where to start the prising-off.

Start by taking the screws out at the bottom of panel, then start prising off on the sides starting at the bottom. Hope this helps .

Thanks Jeff.

First, remove 4 (or 5) screws underneath/ lower attachment, Torx T20 (?).
Is it the first time prising of the trim then it will be little bit harder (be more careful). Start in the lower left corner (sitting inside the van). A small wedge or to can be handy. Pull out gently, maximum 10 mm and insert wedges. Then use a screwdriver or better a plastic tool, stick it inside to one of the white clips/pegs and loosen it until it pops out. Continue to the next one and pull gently. Soon it will all just pop out and you have the big door-trim-panel in your hand. You can now easily see how it's all working and it will be easier next time.

First, remove 4 (or 5) screws underneath/ lower attachment, Torx T20 (?).
Is it the first time prising of the trim then it will be little bit harder (be more careful). Start in the lower left corner (sitting inside the van). A small wedge or to can be handy. Pull out gently, maximum 10 mm and insert wedges. Then use a screwdriver or better a plastic tool, stick it inside to one of the white clips/pegs and loosen it until it pops out. Continue to the next one and pull gently. Soon it will all just pop out and you have the big door-trim-panel in your hand. You can now easily see how it's all working and it will be easier next time.

Just tried.
Its not easy. Think I need to get something behind the panel to free it up.
Sounds and feels like, the panel will break.
:Nailbiting

Well, we managed it, so it can't be that difficult! Good luck with it.

Just tried.
Its not easy. Think I need to get something behind the panel to free it up.
Sounds and feels like, the panel will break.
:Nailbiting

You have to pull pretty hard! Had mine on and off a 2008 a few times to fix the confounded motorised door.

As noted undo all the Torx screws in the underside - I started to pull ours from the very top lip first and then worked down. Did not need any tools just strong fingertips.

When releasing the table, I find that if you apply some pressure on the table by pushing on it, it reduces the pressure on the catch so it lifts up easier. The table is a tight fit to stop it rattling I presume.

We have put up with the sticking latch on our picnic table for 12 years, but recently decided enough was enough and the panel would have to come off!
I managed to remove the table by pressing my knee against it while putting serious force on the latch and then followed the advice in this thread - especially from Emil.
I removed the screws underneath the door, started at the left corner with plastic trim removal wedges then moved on to the the right hand corner lying on my back underneath. Having made progress releasing "fir tree" fixings both sides I couldn't understand why the panel was still tight until it became apparent that the screws underneath are backed up by "fir tree" fixings along the bottom as well and it just needs a good pull (you have to have faith that it won't break.
Here's some pics and notes:
1601481796339.png
1601481796339.png1601481965615.png1601482009823.png1601481796339.png1601481965615.png1601482009823.png

Oops! not so clever as I thought - please edit if anyone knows how!

I have just done exactly this - removed the sliding door card and the latch for the table. I have sanded the latch rubber stopper down now so that it moves again.

Also looking at a problem with the central locking on the sliding door - it appears to have been designed with a number of weak points. I have lubricated everything that moves with silicon spray and it runs a lot easier but it still seems not perfect and if it fails closed I can't see how you can get in without destroying the door interior.. tempted to not put back the 4 screws at the bottom of the door just in case!

I can also see the "drainage mechanism" for the sliding windows and now can see why they leak. Whoever designed it didn't seem to take into account things like gravity. The mind really boggles

If anyone wants any pictures or other info whilst I have the door trim off, please let me know.

I have just done exactly this - removed the sliding door card and the latch for the table. I have sanded the latch rubber stopper down now so that it moves again.

Also looking at a problem with the central locking on the sliding door - it appears to have been designed with a number of weak points. I have lubricated everything that moves with silicon spray and it runs a lot easier but it still seems not perfect and if it fails closed I can't see how you can get in without destroying the door interior.. tempted to not put back the 4 screws at the bottom of the door just in case!

I can also see the "drainage mechanism" for the sliding windows and now can see why they leak. Whoever designed it didn't seem to take into account things like gravity. The mind really boggles

If anyone wants any pictures or other info whilst I have the door trim off, please let me know.
8 months since, but now it’s my turn to give this a try. I have to find why the sliding door rattles, and it’s not the camping table.
Thank you all for the input!!

8 months since, but now it’s my turn to give this a try. I have to find why the sliding door rattles, and it’s not the camping table.
Thank you all for the input!!
Just for the record; I managed to remove the panel. Didn’t take more than 10 minutes thanks to all good guidance in this thread. However the rattle comes from somewhere else. It has now been located to the Thule Omnistor canvas.

Thought I'd update this thread having done a small job to sort out the sliding door table catch that was stuck in the up position. Have a 2015 SE for any reference! Ultimately the door stowed table couldn't be put back into place as the mechanism wouldn't engage to hold it in place.

To start, bought a small selection of car / van trim tools from a well known auction site, these were just over £10 for a few different tools and did come in useful for taking off the inside panel of the sliding door.

Started at the bottom left as previous posts suggested, but there were no retaining clips elsewhere along the bottom. Four round each edge, two in the table section, and three in the upper middle sections. The most tricky part was getting the upper right section away as I found it far more difficult to access and get to due to mechanism and movement of the door!

The actual manufactur and design of the retaining clip for the table seem poor in design! Ours just seemed to stick in up position which meant the table could not be clicked back into place. Took it apart, applied some copper grease and added a couple of small washers to the bolts so it didn't pinch together as tightly. Seems to work okay but time will tell!

I did break one of the yellow clips and found it difficult to find a replacement. Even the part number at VW didn't match but tracked some down in the end. One of the pics included shows the correct ones needed on the right as opposed to what I ordered on the left.

I'd say I have average DIY capability and with a bit of dedicated time over a weekend, completed this easy enough!

DSC_0361.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

Back