Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement bulbs - help please!

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am finding Ariadne's headlights leave a little to be desired on the unlit lanes of Suffolk and, as my daily commute will be a dark one for some time as yet before spring, I am going to put some (hopefully) better bulbs in.

I have tried to search this on the forum but I am seeking clarity about the size of the bulbs I need - is it H4 or H7? Ariadne is a 2014(64) build SE. It doesn't seem to say in the manual!

I think the Philips X-treme 130% will be the ones I go for, if the H7 is the right size. http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/phili ... 30-h7-twin
Does anyone else have these and have they made enough difference to warrant the upgrade?

:thanks
Maud

I have tried searching H7 and H4, Bramco, but each time it comes up that no results have been found :?

I did find this thread but just wanted to check the H7 is correct for the SE before I order some ...

Maud

Just to be clear. That link is for the ones for the SE.

I just checked my eBay order and if anyone wants the bulbs for the Beach they are H4 not H7

Thank you, Bramco and Calikev,

Ariadne is an SE so H7 it is then :thumb

Looking forward to seeing more of the road ahead!

Maud

Maud, had a quick look and the Osram Nightbreaker lamps are about £15 pair on A**z*n

:thanks Larrylamb, will take a look!

Maud

Goodness, doesn't one have a butler to drive in front in a vehicle festooned with lanterns???

Out of interest, as a complete

Jen, your post seems to be incomplete... I sense a question coming :D

Maud

It's being in the wilds of wind battered North West Scotland that's done it ... my thoughts completely blown away :oops:

I know nothing about technical things, but I have Bi Xenons that are supposed to be ever so bright and are in fact about as dim as a toc H lamp...

Are we talking the same here?

I don't have Bi Xenons, Jen, just the standard bulbs and whilst fine on lit roads, I would feel happier having improved visibility around the winding lanes on my daily commute - I really don't want to add to the number of innocent souls I already have to witness by the hedgerows each day :cry:

I am surprised to hear that the Bi Xenons are not as bright as you might expect either!

On a related note, I have just ordered some more lights for Ariadne too - of the pretty fairy kind. A fundamental purchase in my opinion :D

Maud

GrannyJen said:
It's being in the wilds of wind battered North West Scotland that's done it ... my thoughts completely blown away :oops:

I know nothing about technical things, but I have Bi Xenons that are supposed to be ever so bright and are in fact about as dim as a toc H lamp...

Are we talking the same here?

That's really surprising, I've found the xenons to be almost embarrassingly bright, especially in the darkest countryside. In fact we got tailed by game keepers in the wee small hours, in the middle of nowhere, just trying to find a good spot for watching a meteor shower. :oops:

I have found the standard headlights fine in all light and road conditions, maybe this is a "should have gone to specsavers" issue. Lol

Agree, although as I had some Osram Nightbreakers I did install them in for Dipped Beam.
If you can't see then slow down that's my motto. :shocked

Sbmcd and Welshgas,

I would totally agree that the lights are "fine" in all conditions but it is my personal preference that my visibility (both how far I can see ahead and how well I can be seen from afar) should be better than fine. Perhaps I am just a natural worrier but if there is something simple that I can do to hopefully avoid having a "should have gone to specsavers" moment, then I am more than happy to do so. Just personal preference and nothing to do with my eyesight or a need for speed (I am a tortoise, not a hare) :D

Maud

Maud said:
Sbmcd and Welshgas,

I would totally agree that the lights are "fine" in all conditions but it is my personal preference that my visibility (both how far I can see ahead and how well I can be seen from afar) should be better than fine. Perhaps I am just a natural worrier but if there is something simple that I can do to hopefully avoid having a "should have gone to specsavers" moment, then I am more than happy to do so. Just personal preference and nothing to do with my eyesight or a need for speed (I am a tortoise, not a hare) :D

Maud

Light to me is like power. Just because I want all the power going it does not mean I want to use it recklessly, just it's nice to have reserve for when those "oh heck" moments happen. Equally with lights. As much as legally possible please. If I can be seen from the space station then that's excellent. It doesn't mean dazzling everyone, just having spare "just in case" capacity.

Talking of specsavers I must have been having a specsaver moment when I complained about Alberts lights. Coming from Fort William to the Isle of Skye mostly in the dark and they were superb, without melting the retina's of oncoming motorists.

Wise words, as always, Jen :thumb

Maud

Maud, did you change your lamps? Any improvement?

Anyone seen this conversion to bi-xenons:

I don't think it would be legal .... would it?

Maud, did you change your lamps? Any improvement?
Hi larrylamb; yes, I did change to Philips X-treme 130% and they have made a noticeable difference; lights are now brighter and whiter. It's not a revolutionary improvement and obviously wouldn't be a match to Xenons, but it has made a positive improvement so I'm happy that I changed them :)

Anyone seen this conversion to bi-xenons:

I don't think it would be legal .... would it?

No, I don't think those will pass the MOT come the time and so are technically illegal. Xenon headlights now have to have a self leveling system and working washers to pass the MOT and Halogen lights don't have the leveling system, but may have washers fitted.

Alan

Back