Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

replacement of original radio in 2015 cali

I'm struggling to convince myself the cheaper units are future proof for iPhone upgrades. I've not seen one that list iPhone 7.
Probably wise, I dont think anything is future proof anymore, 2 years and obsolete seems the norm now with phones and the such.

I had the first ipad one that was close to useless within 3/4 years as apps stopped being supported. My work phone is an iphone 4s, also getting creaky and close to unusable due to software being incompatible.

I've just collected my secondhand Aug 2015 T5 Ocean and I am now going round the same circuit. It has a basic RCD310. I want to keep the parking sensors and add bluetooth phone and audio. I don't have an iphone so carplay is no use and I'm not bothered about sat nag. There are a lot of RNS315 units on ebay for £3-400. Is there any reason why that isn't a simple solution for me? I assume I'll need a professional fitter.

shouldn't need professional fitter just basic DIY er skills. The dash clips off ( top panel first) and then two top screws to undo and then four on unit, it's double din and clip and play so unclip and replace and re clip and reverse process to refit. Look on utube plenty of videos to help give you the gist of it. Need special screw head for screws ( buy DIY store less than £5 and either credit card or small plastic trim tool ( few quid) to loosen dash trims and you're away.
spec sounds ideal for you........good luck :)

So, as long as I have the code it's all plug and play? Including Bluetooth and phone?

Bluetooth on the rns315 depends on the MAC number. I enabled Bluetooth on mine and simply plugged in a mic. Some vw units had the bt module removed.

There is a thread on here somewhere about how I enabled bt with a vag device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not all RNS315 units have a BT module, best way to check is to look for a MAC address on the headunit. If there isn't one or they are all zeros then unfortunately it doesn't have BT.

Not all RNS315 units have a BT module, best way to check is to look for a MAC address on the headunit. If there isn't one or they are all zeros then unfortunately it doesn't have BT.

Thank you Matt. That's really helpful. I feel like I'm getting closer! I have a mic grille in the headlining is their likely to be a mic in there?

EDIT. Forget that. I haven't.

Last edited:
Thank you Matt. That's really helpful. I feel like I'm getting closer! I have a mic grille in the headlining is their likely to be a mic in there?

EDIT. Forget that. I haven't.

You haven't got the grill or the mic? Fitting the mic isn't too difficult if you have the grill.

You haven't got the grill or the mic? Fitting the mic isn't too difficult if you have the grill.

No grill. I looked at a lot of vans before I bought this one. I must have seen it in a different van. I've put an offer on a 2015 RNS315 which looks pretty good. I'm happy with fitting it in the dash. Where does the GPS antenna usually go?

No grill. I looked at a lot of vans before I bought this one. I must have seen it in a different van. I've put an offer on a 2015 RNS315 which looks pretty good. I'm happy with fitting it in the dash. Where does the GPS antenna usually go?

Usually in the wing mirror (factory fit). The aftermarket ones work ok though. Suggested fit would be under the speaker grill top left corner of dash.

Well that's easy. Thank you. Now, what about the microphone?

Well that's easy. Thank you. Now, what about the microphone?

After you've taken the stereo out, take the glovebox out (5 Torx screws, either size 20 or 25). Open passenger door and you'll see a cover that pops off.

The speaker grill just clips off too. You'll need to remove the grab handle and then the A piller cover airbag badge, then the a piller cover.

Centre console above your head (the light cluster one) there's a cover that's pops off, the 4 screws if you want to loosen it.

Once you have all this done you can run the gps to the dash where the glovebox was. Run the mic to the left and up the a pillar, pull the headlining back with your fingers and tuck the cable under and past the light cluster to the drivers sun visor. Of course you have to cut a small hole out your headlining to fit the cover, there's a guide somewhere else on this. Run the mic to the cover.

That's from memory so might have missed something but it's a fairly easy vehicle to work on.

After you've taken the stereo out, take the glovebox out (5 Torx screws, either size 20 or 25). Open passenger door and you'll see a cover that pops off.

The speaker grill just clips off too. You'll need to remove the grab handle and then the A piller cover airbag badge, then the a piller cover.

Centre console above your head (the light cluster one) there's a cover that's pops off, the 4 screws if you want to loosen it.

Once you have all this done you can run the gps to the dash where the glovebox was. Run the mic to the left and up the a pillar, pull the headlining back with your fingers and tuck the cable under and past the light cluster to the drivers sun visor. Of course you have to cut a small hole out your headlining to fit the cover, there's a guide somewhere else on this. Run the mic to the cover.

That's from memory so might have missed something but it's a fairly easy vehicle to work on.

Thank you. That sounds a bit more daunting but I'll give it a go.

Mine is 2015 and doesn't have the cover in question I did try and buy the panel but it didn't fit.

The cable is easy to run with a cable puller (stick with a hooked end), mine went drivers side.

My mic currently resides in the driver side (uk) in the little coin tray until I can route it to the headlining with a mic fitting. I don't really want to cut the headlining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I should point out as well that the RNS315 normally has a separate BT box in a VW, but you actually don't need it if the unit has BT built in. This does mean however that the rns315 mic you can get cheaply from ebay may initially seem to not fit.

Fear not however, there is an extra piece of casing around the plug to make it fit the aftermarket VW setup and once removed (for me at least) it fitted straight into the back of the RNS 315.

I also tried a few different mics out there but the VW style square one was the one that gave the best sound.

Thanks for all the help Matt. I've got a brand new RNS315 on the way and a microphone to fit. I might adopt a simple install like yours for the mic in the first instance. You don't get much for £21 with that microphone bracket! where on the drivers side did you exit the mic and cable?

a0b2bea80a89e94068156a6bd9518eb5.jpg

Not very tidy but good place for sound quality.

Remove this with a panel tool very easy
e38e0a625aaf7399c4b545071d706d6d.jpg

The rubber matt is just pressed in and has handy holes for a temporary placement
63f021db175354d3c2738736800694a9.jpg

Neat. I can do that. Thank you for taking the time.