Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio Replacement

D

dlewisjo

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

I have a 58 plate (so pre T5 facelift model), with the standard radio fitted. I would like to replace it with a DAB radio (possible satnav). The new VW DAB radio does not fit the "old" dash due to the change in shape. Has onyone replaced their radio, and if so with which one ?

Thanks
David

Hi David, I too have a 08 plate and want to upgrade my radio .... have you changed and if so what did you get? Malc

I think if you wanted the DAB route you'd be looking at an after market head unit or a DAB accessory.

Was it either of you two I talked to on Saturday when we were having a look at Gary's van? If so I'm sorry I missed you, I did pop over a little later but there didn't appear to be anyone at home.

Not me Stu but thanks for info. Could you recommend any system and co who install. Pretty thick at this stuff. I would like dvd as well as sat nav dig not too important Malc

I've done a little research and discovered that, as I suspected, the navigation option for the 2008 ish T5 was similar to the MFD2 found in Golf / Octavia / Passat of the same era. The T5 has two variants for dashboard and the more squared one might house a unit such as this -

T5DVD-01.jpg_500.jpg

These were available in CD and DVD guise, with the later DVD version having silver/chrome knobs.

Something like this

In curent terms these are good units but a little old school. In the Golf etc it was quite commonplace to replace these with RNS510 so that being the case you'd like to think it would be the same for the T5.

So I think you're going to need to decide how much you want it and if you're prepared to give it a go. The RNS510 for the T5 with the squarer edges is also found in the Touareg.

eBay

I also found a not so special looking after market unit -

eBay

The unit pictured above will not fit a T5. Have seen one fitted and it was not a pretty site. Pre-facelift T5's had older sat nav unit with a screen that could be angled in four directions towards the passenger or driver.

cheers

So that would be like the old MFD 1 then Alex??

The sellers on eBay seem to list the ones I posted above as being suitable for T5 pre facelift??

Stu said:

The sellers on eBay seem to list the ones I posted above as being suitable for T5 pre facelift??

Stu

I don't think they always sit flush with dash.

James

Stu said:

I believe so yes. It will phyiscally fit, but pokes out too far and if memory serves me part of the surrounding dash was hacked away to make it fit as it is/was too wide to fit.

cheers

I can see from this that the dash may need mods and doesn't fit flush.

I think the guy has a navigation fetish -

resize.asp

That is a much better fitment than the one that we see in here. If I have chance I will take a photo of it. As far as I am aware this was not offered for the T5, but was in the Touareg. Seems to work fine if fitted, but a flat dash in the T5 and a curved front of the MFD2 doesn't look great imho.

cheers

Mine is a flat dash, ..... just to confuse everything. As I am about to replace my radio ... in an ideal world is there a system which shows all the campsites. I take off mainly without booking and have found some super places but would be great if i could see on a screen.

You will find campsite poi files on the net (files with campsite locations to load onto sat nav)

I seem to have posted this in the wrong thread !! Doh !

I wonder how good the fitmnent is in a European T5 as the dash is curved? I spoke to someone about an RNS510 which I don't think would fit in a pre-facelift RHD T5 due to the flat dash. Also the facelift radio's seem to be narrower at the bottom than the top so can't see an RNS510 fitting in a RHD T5.

I will look into it.

cheers

Back