Replacement Solar Panel.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
My T5.1 California SE is a few months short of 10 yrs old and will be upgraded when the New California is available to order in the UK. Just over 9.5 yrs ago I fitted a 100 w solar panel system from Roger Donahugh of solarcampersolutions.com.
2 weeks ago it failed after 9+ yrs.
So what to do. A new Solar Panel and frame is just over £400 as I didn't need a new MPPT module as my old one, non- Bluetooth and with a plug-in LCD display controller, was working fine. If I had been keeping the van I would have just replaced like for like from Roger, but with about 6 months of ownership to go and wanting to keep the convenience of Solar I decided to look for an alternative.
Renogy had a summer sale on and their flexible 100 w panel seemed to fit the bill. Same output and smaller physical dimensions than my present panel and frame. Also bought the extension leads as the Renogy panel outputs ended in special waterproof plugs.Screenshot_20240812_192440_Email.jpg

Removed the old panel and frame and removed its junction box. Cleaned old panel and degreased surface and fixed new panel, as suggested by Renogy, with 2" wide industrial Velco tape. As the new panel also had 6 x 5mm eyelets I also drilled 5mm holes in my old panel and used 4mm nylon ties as an addition.
Reattached the frame and wired up and hey presto back in business.
Even this morning, dull overcast and light drizzle the leisure batteries were soon back to 100% and all for less than £120. 20240812_131142.jpg20240812_131152.jpg20240812_131034.jpg20240812_131004.jpg

Nice job, but...You're getting a new van? What are you getting?

I will be upgrading to the New California, Petrol, but undecided between the Coast or Ocean version. Awaiting the order book to open in the UK. Soon hopefully.
I believe Roger has offered some sort of deal to the first owner of the new Cali that he can get his hands on to install Solar.

I will be upgrading to the New California, Petrol, but undecided between the Coast or Ocean version. Awaiting the order book to open in the UK. Soon hopefully.
Will be great to have someone on here with hands-on experience of the new one. (In place of endless speculation!).

Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose the petrol as opposed to the diesel or the plugin hybrid?

Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose the petrol as opposed to the diesel or the plugin hybrid?
Self charging hybrid maybe but I do long trips and can't see the point of carrying an empty, weighty battery around for most of it.
LEZ zones that penalise Diesels and no doubt will move upto charging Euro6 diesels as revenue drops. Also no Adblue or DPF so less problematic.

Self charging hybrid maybe but I do long trips and can't see the point of carrying an empty, weighty battery around for most of it.
LEZ zones that penalise Diesels and no doubt will move upto charging Euro6 diesels as revenue drops. Also no Adblue or DPF so less problematic.
Fuel consumption aside (although they're getting surprisingly good these days), modern turbo petrols are impressively flexible, offering the low down torque in a modest engine size that not so many years ago would only be found in diesels. My old Octavia vRS 2.0TSi had loads of grunt from 1500rpm.

Hi Welshgas
I am interested in adding Solar Panels to my Horsebox. The roof is skinned with a fibreglass panel and I did not fancy drilling into it plus it is slightly dished. Do you thing I could get away with just using the Velcro tape to hold on in place.

My T5.1 California SE is a few months short of 10 yrs old and will be upgraded when the New California is available to order in the UK. Just over 9.5 yrs ago I fitted a 100 w solar panel system from Roger Donahugh of solarcampersolutions.com.
So what to do. A new Solar Panel and frame is just over £400 as I didn't need a new MPPT module as my old one, non- Bluetooth and with a plug-in LCD display controller, was working fine. If I had been keeping the van I would have just replaced like for like from Roger, but with about 6 months of ownership to go and wanting to keep the convenience of Solar I decided to look for an alternative.
Renogy had a summer sale on and their flexible 100 w panel seemed to fit the bill. Same output and smaller physical dimensions than my present panel and frame. Also bought the extension leads as the Renogy panel outputs ended in special waterproof plugs.View attachment 127750

Removed the old panel and frame and removed its junction box. Cleaned old panel and degreased surface and fixed new panel, as suggested by Renogy, with 2" wide industrial Velco tape. As the new panel also had 6 x 5mm eyelets I also drilled 5mm holes in my old panel and used 4mm nylon ties as an addition.
Even this morning, dull overcast and light drizzle the leisure batteries were soon back to 100% and all for less than £120. View attachment 127751View attachment 127752View attachment 127753View attachment 127754
Ive got two of the renogy panels on my 2017 cali. Been up there for nearly three years now and still going strong.

Ive got two of the renogy panels on my 2017 cali. Been up there for nearly three years now and still going strong.
Next owner will be happy then. :thumb

Hi Welshgas
I am interested in adding Solar Panels to my Horsebox. The roof is skinned with a fibreglass panel and I did not fancy drilling into it plus it is slightly dished. Do you thing I could get away with just using the Velcro tape to hold on in place.
I think you could, but Industrial Velcro for inside/outdoor use, and properly prepare and degrease the surfaces.
Alternatively you can, as suggested also by Renogy, use a silicone based adhesive such as Silkaflex.

I think you could, but Industrial Velcro for inside/outdoor use, and properly prepare and degrease the surfaces.
Alternatively you can, as suggested also by Renogy, use a silicone based adhesive such as Silkaflex.
I used the wide vhb velcro and they aint moved in nearly three years, mind you it aint cheap but it works and removable with a hairdryer if needed.

Nice write up WelshGas, thank you. I have a pair of solar panels on mine that are not working properly anymore, the previous owner had cut the waterproof connectors off and used crimp on spade terminals and just wrapped them in tape so the connectors and cables had corrosion in them. The output isn't high enough to charge the batteries and one is lower than the other, I tried cutting back the cables and replacing the corroded connectors with proper waterproof solar connectors and got rid of the curly cable for a heavier gauge cable run straight to the MPPT with no nasty choc block connections, but it's still not working, I've only had 2 days this year where it actually put anything in, so I've just ordered a pair of the Renology panels and it's saved a lot of money. I wasn't going to do anything about it until next year due to the cost of buying a new pair from Roger, but saw your post and decided to do the same with mine as I'm going away in a couple of weeks and it will be nice to have it working and not worry about the fridge flattening the battery. I've ordered some sikaflex and will try that, I'm thinking of trying to remove the old panels from the frames/ aluminium angle iron and bonding the new panels straight to them, I"ll see if they come off, if not I will do it like you've done. Thanks again, happy travels and good luck with the new van, I saw a nice T7 transporter in black and burgundy this morning, they look good.

Last edited:
Nice write up WelshGas, thank you. I have a pair of solar panels on mine that are not working properly anymore, the previous owner had cut the waterproof connectors off and used crimp on spade terminals and just wrapped them in tape so the connectors and cables had corrosion in them. The output isn't high enough to charge the batteries and one is lower than the other, I tried cutting back the cables and replacing the corroded connectors with proper waterproof solar connectors and got rid of the curly cable for a heavier gauge cable run straight to the MPPT with no nasty choc block connections, but it's still not working, I've only had 2 days this year where it actually put anything in, so I've just ordered a pair of the Renology panels and it's saved a lot of money. I wasn't going to do anything about it until next year due to the cost of buying a new pair from Roger, but saw your post and decided to do the same with mine as I'm going away in a couple of weeks and it will be nice to have it working and not worry about the fridge flattening the battery. I've ordered some sikaflex and will try that, I'm thinking of trying to remove the old panels from the frames/ aluminium angle iron and bonding the new panels straight to them, I"ll see if they come off, if not I will do it like you've done. Thanks again, happy travels and good luck with the new van, I saw a nice T7 transporter in black and burgundy this morning, they look good. :)

View attachment 127831
I thought about removing the old panel but the Renogy panel is very flexible so I decided not to try and just use the old panel as a rigid base instead.

Nice write up WelshGas, thank you. I have a pair of solar panels on mine that are not working properly anymore, the previous owner had cut the waterproof connectors off and used crimp on spade terminals and just wrapped them in tape so the connectors and cables had corrosion in them. The output isn't high enough to charge the batteries and one is lower than the other, I tried cutting back the cables and replacing the corroded connectors with proper waterproof solar connectors and got rid of the curly cable for a heavier gauge cable run straight to the MPPT with no nasty choc block connections, but it's still not working, I've only had 2 days this year where it actually put anything in, so I've just ordered a pair of the Renology panels and it's saved a lot of money. I wasn't going to do anything about it until next year due to the cost of buying a new pair from Roger, but saw your post and decided to do the same with mine as I'm going away in a couple of weeks and it will be nice to have it working and not worry about the fridge flattening the battery. I've ordered some sikaflex and will try that, I'm thinking of trying to remove the old panels from the frames/ aluminium angle iron and bonding the new panels straight to them, I"ll see if they come off, if not I will do it like you've done. Thanks again, happy travels and good luck with the new van, I saw a nice T7 transporter in black and burgundy this morning, they look good. :)

View attachment 127831
Is that the final wiring job??? :shocked:shocked

View attachment 127831
Is that the final wiring job? :shocked

I thought about removing the old panel but the Renogy panel is very flexible so I decided not to try and just use the old panel as a rigid base instead.
That makes sense, I may well end up doing that too then.

Is that the final wiring job??? :shocked:shocked

Is that the final wiring job? :shocked
R U going for the award for most undermining member on the forum ?
Your post history!

IMO this forum is for others to get support and help from like minded members who can help others !
Your posts historically think you know best in every situation and everyone else is an idiot ? (Albeit your recent post history with your New Van, which make you look like you’ve not read any posts other than T4 .)
Despite posting little to be positive about at all !
All posted “tongue in check” and under the the guise of a cheeky chap and allowing PC brigade to make disparaging comments to genuine members who are here to seek help ?
& your attitude is “If you’re not on board then, then you’re obviously “woke “ or a “snow flake” !

Get with the program and start helping others with your clearly superior knowledge of everything!

Try helping rather than taking the wee wee !

Last edited:
R U going for the award for most undermining member on the forum ?
Your post history!

IMO this forum is for others to get support and help from like minded members who can help others !
Your posts historically think you know best in every situation and everyone else is an idiot ? (Albeit your recent post history with your New can, which make you look like you’ve not read any posts other T4 .)
Despite posting little to be positive about at all !
All posted “tongue in check” and under the the guise of a cheeky chap and allowing PC brigade to make disparaging comments to genuine members who are here to seek help ?
& your attitude is “If you’re not on board then, then you’re obviously “woke “ or a “snow flake” !

Get with the program and start helping others with your clearly superior knowledge of everything!

Try helping rather than taking the wee wee !
There's always some snide keyboard warrior around, he clearly didn't read or comprehend that I'd been trying to get non working panels working and had to do a repair job on the wiring, which only left short lengths to put new connectors on and made it impossible to hide, then had to get Y connectors in to link the two panels, he probably just looks at the pictures. The purpose of my post was to thank WelshGas for a good write up, I'll keep my gob shut in future and post sod all. I've bought rigid Y connectors for when I redo it so won't have to try to lose a foot of cable, I won't bother posting pictures though.

@AcapulcoLoco don’t let the very small minority stop you posting, In general, this forum is a friendly place and one where you can ask a question - see my strap line.
Certain members (being the operative word) take great delight in the superiority of their superiority !

Despite struggling with a modern Van themselves (check recent posting history ) maybe they should limit themselves to the 1980,s where their knowledge & social skills seem to peak !

Please don’t let a minority affect your posting

Last edited:
There's always some snide keyboard warrior around, he clearly didn't read or comprehend that I'd been trying to get non working panels working and had to do a repair job on the wiring, which only left short lengths to put new connectors on and made it impossible to hide, then had to get Y connectors in to link the two panels, he probably just looks at the pictures. The purpose of my post was to thank WelshGas for a good write up, I'll keep my gob shut in future and post sod all. I've bought rigid Y connectors for when I redo it so won't have to try to lose a foot of cable, I won't bother posting pictures though.
There is a pattern in his posts !

Edit: her / it’s / them

Renogy had a summer sale on and their flexible 100 w panel seemed to fit the bill. Same output and smaller physical dimensions than my present panel and frame. Also bought the extension leads as the Renogy panel outputs ended in special waterproof plugs.View attachment 127750

Even this morning, dull overcast and light drizzle the leisure batteries were soon back to 100% and all for less than £120. View attachment 127751View attachment 127752View attachment 127753View attachment 127754
Great post, it will be helpful for many :cheers
Thank you for taking the time to post a positive :thumb
Particularly one that will benefit others

Last edited: