Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing fridge lid

I

ivorl

We have a 2006 California and the attachment point for the small hydraulic arm on the fridge lid broke off. We got a whole new lid from VW but the attachment point is now in a different point from before. So the arm goes from the inside of the fridge to a point that is now too far out. I see the newer models have the hydraulic arm further out at both attachment points.

Interestingly, the attachment screws for the lid were not all the same and one of them just spins - not very VW!

Any ideas? Thanks.

We have replaced a lid on a 2006 model and moved the arm. the kit we ordered came with plugs to fill the holes left inside the fridge.

cheers

Thanks Alex, I finally got some instructions and I now see that's what you have to do - drill some holes in the wardrobe!

I have the same problem, would like to know what instructions you have.Also would like to know the correct position of the fixing plate to the wardrobe, do the two pop rivet holes run horizontal or vertical, when fixed in place. Regards Rob.

If anybody has a spare small piece of plastic at the right hand side of the fridge lid they would like to sell please get in touch. Ours fell off and then went missing and I am now informed it is not available separate from the lid. Mine is a 07 model.Also just had to have the hydraulic pump in the roof replaced and that was a bit of a shock so am trying to avoid the £140 for the lid.

I know I'm resurrecting and old thread but ...

The hydraulic arm on my pre-facelift fridge lid has bent.
This is the arm that has both fixings inside the fridge not the facelift arm that has one fixing inside the fridge and the other on the wardrobe wall outside the fridge.

Difficult to know why it's bent since I'm not aware of any undue force ever having been used.
I've taken it off to see whether I can bend it straight and I haven't tried yet but it occurs to me ...

1 The fridge lid closes and clicks shut without the arm.
2 It appears to be airtight under thee conditions and doesn't rattle.
3 It doesn't pop open unless the opening latch is depressed fully.

So why would I want to replace the arm if I'm able to bend it straight again?
What would the point be?
Am I missing something here?

(I suspect it won't bend straight and remain functional anyway)

Hi Barry, you make some valid points, I guess the only thing you would be missing is the ability to have a rummage through the freezer with both hands!

Hi Barry, you make some valid points, I guess the only thing you would be missing is the ability to have a rummage through the freezer with both hands!

That's a bit of a nuisance I agree: Distinguishing between a chablis a viognier and a riesling would be hard rummaging around with one hand. Thanks heaven I'm a seriously red cote de rhone or rioja boy and they'll have been coming to temp in the body of the van.

A suitable "prop" could be utilised if you cannot straighten the strut?:)

Back