Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing leisure batteries

I was always told when I worked at auto electricians to disconnect negative first, when installing new battery connect positive first

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Yup, did that. Please don’t be offended I asked.
5D1EBB49-D230-402F-A87F-230088890172.jpeg

Seriously, none taken.. just want peeps to be safe, electrical fires in vehicles are scary especially when car batteries are involved.

This thread is a great help. I am just about to replace my leisure batteries as they are now 9 years old and I don't want to get caught out as we are often without a hook up. The only bit I am wary about is disconnecting the starter battery as last time I did this it caused all sorts of issues. The post above from Loz with the manual excerpt seems to suggest this is not necessary but switch off the ignition and remove the key seems to be sound advice!

Sorry my error, just read it again and more thoroughly this time and I note the negative lead should be removed from the starter battery

Hi. Can someone recommend a good leisure battery for a T5 that goes under the drivers seat please

Hi. Can someone recommend a good leisure battery for a T5 that goes under the drivers seat please
You should research if both your leisures need replacing (assuming it's an SE / Ocean .

He said his is under the drivers seat
Your friend really needs to examine his battery then, check the name and model number, Amps and measure height, length and width. Height with and without connections.
Also measure the space available as he might be able to fit a larger Amp battery.
The site I linked to has information about various battery sizes.

Many thanks ww - I read on that thread that the varta batteries you installed are the same as the VW originals. I note that they cost approx twice as much as the ones I was looking at, but if they’re the same as the ones I have in, they have survived eight and a half years of wear, involving extensive periods where I have not had them on hook up each month - simply because the van lives on the street with no access to mains power. I think that’s pretty impressive! If I splash out on the vartas, with better care from me and perhaps a solar panel, maybe they’ll see out my ownership of the van (hopefully another ten years)!

Any experts want to weigh in on whether this Halfords battery would work? It's only 2mm longer than the Varta LA80 (link is only place I found it) but the Halford's is cheaper, 4 year guarantee and I can presumably pick 2 up today and bring to my mechanic whose supplier doesn't have a compatible battery.

Type:Start/Stop AGM
AH Value:80Ah
CCA - Start Up Power:800
Dimensions (LxDxH):317x175x190mm
Guarantee:4 Years
Guarantee Period:4 Years

The Halford's ones are not considered a leisure battery, however I found this AGM Leisure battery for even less from Advanced Battery Supplies (https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk) Anyone tried them?

AGM-LP110-powerplus-battery-300x300.jpg

cheaper, same size with more capacity at 100ah and 5 year warranty.

I'm about to change the leisure batteries in my 2007 SE.

The passenger seat is held in by normal bolts at the front. But the rear is held in by some sort of many-toothed thing. I don't have a driver for it, or know what to look for.

Can anyone help? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

IMG_20190723_190706.jpg

Thanks @Legin

Is it a double hex bolt? And if so will a large normal hex key/driver do? Seems to be a lot cheaper than a spline driver. Off to Screwfix before they shut in hope...