Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing leisure batteries

Okay so idiot question about replacing batteries. Two Varta LA80 arrived. It says in a leaflet to remove transit plugs. I can’t see any transit plugs (see photos to follow) can anyone advise? Question 2 does it matter which side I vent and do I need to block the opposite hole? Sorry if these are daft questions but I have never done anything like this before. 027D9272-91EB-4D69-BE66-3D25286EA849.jpeg
17A75404-F03E-4A7B-9126-E877B0A4CD94.jpeg72A68679-7720-42C7-9171-5541A9150CAC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so idiot question about replacing batteries. Two Varta LA80 arrived. It says in a leaflet to remove transit plugs. I can’t see any transit plugs (see photos to follow) can anyone advise? Question 2 does it matter which side I vent and do I need to block the opposite hole? Sorry if these are daft questions but I have never done anything like this before. View attachment 55506View attachment 55506View attachment 55507View attachment 55508View attachment 55506View attachment 55507View attachment 55507View attachment 55508
Transit plugs usually in those holes on the end, top middle.

One side should vent to outside the cabin and the other should be blocked off.

So I contacted Tayna who supplied the new batteries and they have told me that these Varta LA80 are “valve regulated” and don’t therefore need a breather tube attached. Has anyone else heard of this ?
No, but I would still plug the breather tube in on the same side as the old battery and the plug in the opposite side. The gas would still be vented I suppose so better out than in.

So I contacted Tayna who supplied the new batteries and they have told me that these Varta LA80 are “valve regulated” and don’t therefore need a breather tube attached. Has anyone else heard of this ?
See paragraph 16 in the HSE document below

Attachments

• indg139.pdf
    103.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I was always told when I worked at auto electricians to disconnect negative first, when installing new battery connect positive first
Not that car will explode because of that, but the reason is pretty simple. If you remove positive first and it touches the metal body by accident you have a short. So safer to simply instruct removing negative first and disarming whole car body from the circuit for that exact battery.

cheaper, same size with more capacity at 100ah and 5 year warranty.
I would consider that capacity as a pretty rough measure, as it depends on loads and various conditions. So different manufacturers might set a maximum possible in ideal conditions as a nominal.
One of the methods is to check the battery weight. If batteries weigh the same and capacity is 20% different, one of the manufacturers simply marks it more generously ;)