Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing the gas hose and regulator

J

JaxMT

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All,

Been a Cali owner for 7 years as a family but mainly used as an occasional day van and overnight once but now I'm planning on venturing out by myself as no one else wants to go. My gas (which has only made about 4 cups of tea ever) stopped working so I bought the regulator and hose from Campervanbits. I went to fit them after finding a fab youtube video and now have a problem. I can't for the life of me get the new gas hose attached to the connector on the van. There just doesn't seem to be enough room to get it at the correct angle. The old one did come off but I don't feel confident enough to really bend the new hose.

Has anyone else managed to do this themselves? I wonder if mine has been fitted originally at a strange angle? I'll attach a photo.

Tried VW Commercial in Swindon but no reply and mailbox is full so if anyone else can recommend another place to go to it would also be appreciated as well as any advice on doing this.

Many thanks for any advice

IMG_5790 hose connector.jpg

I changed mine sometime back for a replacement from the shop. I had the same problem, I couldn't seem to get the angle correct so that it would wind on smoothly and not cross thread. I thought I had assembled the nut and tail wrong or was using the wrong end, or that I must need to loosen the elbox away from the plastic tub first. But I could get the old one back on no problem. I persisted and eventually succeeded, I didn't have to bend the tube or use any tools (apart from to tighten it up fully once on) but found pushing the tube flat against the inside of the tub with one hand while winding on the nut with the other did the job in the end. Hope that helps.
BTW I have since given up on the GOK regulator, which always seemed to leak from the connection to the bottle tap - in favour of a calor one and an inline connector - a similar setup is detailed on here somewhere.

I changed mine sometime back for a replacement from the shop. I had the same problem, I couldn't seem to get the angle correct so that it would wind on smoothly and not cross thread. I thought I had assembled the nut and tail wrong or was using the wrong end, or that I must need to loosen the elbox away from the plastic tub first. But I could get the old one back on no problem. I persisted and eventually succeeded, I didn't have to bend the tube or use any tools (apart from to tighten it up fully once on) but found pushing the tube flat against the inside of the tub with one hand while winding on the nut with the other did the job in the end. Hope that helps.
BTW I have since given up on the GOK regulator, which always seemed to leak from the connection to the bottle tap - in favour of a calor one and an inline connector - a similar setup is detailed on here somewhere.
Thank you so much for that. I shall go out and have another attempt. And I shall look for that other thread too.

I think I can see the problem. The new one has a longer nut thing on the end which means you can't push the tube into the right position. Attached a photo and contacted Campervanbits in case its is still me being inept but I don't think so anymore. The top one is the new one

2 hoses together.jpg

The top one hasn't got the nut or the olive, did it come with one?

The top one hasn't got the nut or the olive, did it come with one?
Yes it did. I just didn't have them on in the photo. I've fitted the old pipe with a new regulator which has solved the problem for now but only a temporary solution as that pipe is old.

You could put this on in place of connector and then disconnect and change gas types quickly and easily

Back