Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit OE Awning and Cassette

oilydavid

oilydavid

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Having asked the local van dealer whether I can fit an OE cassette and awning I was told this was not possible as strengthening bars are fitted in the roof at the factory when this is specified!! Has anyone else encountered this or is it a "story"... it has the slotted rails along the side of the roof. VW UK csutomer service dont seem to be able to answer technical questions and just say refer to dealer.

Is your Cali a T6 ocean as your underwriting says?
Then you can just buy a awning with brackets and bolt in on.

If the "van dealer " your talking sold you the T6 ocean go over there now and kick his @ss!

I agree - as yours is a genuine California it is a straight bolt on job. Dreadful service from your dealer especially as this can be an extra they can supply, fit and charge for.

Complete Rubbish! its a 1hrs DIY job maximum - so I can't understand why they wouldn't want to do it!

Having asked the local van dealer whether I can fit an OE cassette and awning I was told this was not possible as strengthening bars are fitted in the roof at the factory when this is specified!! Has anyone else encountered this or is it a "story"... it has the slotted rails along the side of the roof. VW UK csutomer service dont seem to be able to answer technical questions and just say refer to dealer.
A standard van may need additional strengthening but not a California which has a totally different type of roof and built in additional strength.

I suggest you check out the Dealers Review Forum and find someone who knows what a California is rather than some dipstick of a Dealer who doesn't know his "dip" from his "stick".

You will need to get an awning specififically designed for the Cali, either the one VW supply or one by Fiamma as they have brackets specifically designed for the mountings in the roof.

If you want to fit it to your Cali then their advice was utter tosh!
I have just bought a T6 Beach that originaly didn't have an OE awning. I asked the dealer to fit one and one was fitted without issue.
The only problem was that it cost nearly £1000 and yes I did try to get a second hand one but with no luck. IMO if it is a Cali then it has to have an awning.

Thanks for all your replies..the dealer was not the selling dealer perhaps they did not listen, as I had stated it was a brand new T6 Ocean..or maybe they dont even know what an Ocean is in the spares department!!

Back