Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reupholstering a T6.1 Ocean

P

Persephone

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We have our new Cali, and we knew the general view was that seats mark horrendously.

One weekend away in the rain and I am now a catatonic OCD mess about how I will keep the seats clean. I am weighing up second skins v's getting a reupholster in leather. I would be interested to hear from people on what they decided, and costs !! I have looked at Brandrup and Inka second skins. Brandrup looks expensive, Inka quite aren't to my taste with styling ...

Personally, I cant see the logic in ripping out brand new seat upholstery out of a fear of it marking.

If you're after changing the appearance, get something like the Jackyards stuff.

If you're after protecting from damage and dont care about the appearance, anything will do. We currently use the OEM waterproof seat covers.

But ripping out some brand new perfectly good fabric on the premise that you dont want to damage the fabric just doesnt make sense to me. Why not wait and see how it goes, and if/when you get to the point where you either sell on or want to give it a new lease of life, reupholster then?

We have our new Cali, and we knew the general view was that seats mark horrendously.

One weekend away in the rain and I am now a catatonic OCD mess about how I will keep the seats clean. I am weighing up second skins v's getting a reupholster in leather. I would be interested to hear from people on what they decided, and costs !! I have looked at Brandrup and Inka second skins. Brandrup looks expensive, Inka quite aren't to my taste with styling ...

Have you considered Jackyards? - jackyards.com

Sorry, cannot help with your query though.

If seats mark, so what.....either get covers now or just accept it. They’re seats that’s all.

Autoglym Interior Shampoo.
Almost 6 yrs on, and grand children, still unmarked.
Ahh - interesting ... I wasn't sure how cleaning would work so that's really helpful

I sprayed with Scotchgard, which stops the watermarks.

Personally, I cant see the logic in ripping out brand new seat upholstery out of a fear of it marking.

If you're after changing the appearance, get something like the Jackyards stuff.

If you're after protecting from damage and dont care about the appearance, anything will do. We currently use the OEM waterproof seat covers.

But ripping out some brand new perfectly good fabric on the premise that you dont want to damage the fabric just doesnt make sense to me. Why not wait and see how it goes, and if/when you get to the point where you either sell on or want to give it a new lease of life, reupholster then?
I absolutely get your point - I was wondering if going for the leather and the wipe clean would make life easier in the long run ...

Brandrup Second Skin. Yes they are expensive but great quality and keeps the original look. Best thing I’ve brought for the Cali. Any dirt just remove them and put them in the wash.

Also if you ever sell your Cali they always fetch great money if you sell them on.

We got the vw waterproof covers very quickly after getting the van - they are very practical although I do find them abit slippy on the drivers seat.

I like not having to worry about the seats but if money was no object I’d get the seats retrimmed in leather/fake leather. We have leather seats in our other car and they have stood up well to wear and tear. Mind you, I’d probably end up putting the waterproof covers over it just in case anyway with 2 kids...... :)

Hope you enjoy your new van.

We went the leather route £1500 after 6 months but worth the extra cost over seat covers imo esp as we intend keeping it. We kept to the same kind of colours tho.

Autoglym Interior Shampoo.
Almost 6 yrs on, and grand children, still unmarked.
I have to agree with this post. Whilst the seats mark easily, they also clean up easily and well. To me, a good clean every few trips is better than an aftermarket cover that distracts from the look and feel of the original item.

My 6.1 Beach has a black interior so will see how it goes but not a fan of seat covers (had them in my Land Rover not good on a long journey) and despite massive forum seat cover popularity will probably head towards a leather retrim. Good opportunity for creating something unique. Rolls Royce St James’s red leather could look good...I spoke to a guy called Paul at Surrey Trimming for a quote and he needed to see the Cali as headrests can vary, he has a grey Cali with Ferrari tan leather so will go what that looks like.

The Jackyards covers look great

My 6.1 Beach has a black interior so will see how it goes but not a fan of seat covers (had them in my Land Rover not good on a long journey) and despite massive forum seat cover popularity will probably head towards a leather retrim. Good opportunity for creating something unique. Rolls Royce St James’s red leather could look good...I spoke to a guy called Paul at Surrey Trimming for a quote and he needed to see the Cali as headrests can vary, he has a grey Cali with Ferrari tan leather so will go what that looks like.

The Jackyards covers look great
If you get a chance, I’d like to see a picture of the tan leather - I’ve seen tan seats on a couple of conversions that looked really good.

I have a red van though, so not sure if grey might work better?!

Plus 1 for the autoglym Interior shampoo. It’s amazing stuff. I keep a bottle in the van.

My beach seats wipe clean well. I figure the seat covers are such a pain to fit and/or so expensive. You’ll end up never removing them and passing immaculate seats on to the next owner. I can’t see the point of that. So I’ll use as they are and keep spot cleaning and then worse case refurbish with leather down the line. The leather price seems pretty reasonable and I’ve seen some results and they look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a chance, I’d like to see a picture of the tan leather - I’ve seen tan seats on a couple of conversions that looked really good.

I have a red van though, so not sure if grey might work better?!
Red with tan should be a good look, a bit too Ferrari but I’m sure no one will think you’re trying to make your California look like a Ferrari California

We went the leather route £1500 after 6 months but worth the extra cost over seat covers imo esp as we intend keeping it. We kept to the same kind of colours tho.
We would go with the same colours - it’s about practical ... can I ask where you got yours done ? Thank you

We got the vw waterproof covers very quickly after getting the van - they are very practical although I do find them abit slippy on the drivers seat.

I like not having to worry about the seats but if money was no object I’d get the seats retrimmed in leather/fake leather. We have leather seats in our other car and they have stood up well to wear and tear. Mind you, I’d probably end up putting the waterproof covers over it just in case anyway with 2 kids...... :)

Hope you enjoy your new van.
Thank you ... yes the waterproof covers we’ve seen do look a bit slippy, at least the leather wipes clean ! No kids in our van - this is a grown up adventure

Second skin covers will water mark just as easily as the originals, so you'll be no further forward.
They are good for protecting against wear, food etc, although removal and refitting after washing is enough of a task to not bother very often.
If it's just water marks, WelshGas has shown the way.

Back