Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reupholstering a T6.1 Ocean

We have our new Cali, and we knew the general view was that seats mark horrendously.

One weekend away in the rain and I am now a catatonic OCD mess about how I will keep the seats clean. I am weighing up second skins v's getting a reupholster in leather. I would be interested to hear from people on what they decided, and costs !! I have looked at Brandrup and Inka second skins. Brandrup looks expensive, Inka quite aren't to my taste with styling ...
Although expensive the second skin type ones (we have the GTIPremium ones from the club shop) are made to high safety standards and your airbags will still function. This was a no-brainer for us so we bit the bullet cash wise and went for them.

We got a full set but you could just go for the cab seats and make a cover for the back or use a throw, it’s a simple shape.

The terms are getting interchanged here. Second skins came from Brandrup's use of the original vw fabric. Inka did the same with the stripy beach fabric.
"gti style" are just seat covers and may not show water marks l>ke the Ocean / SE fabrics.

If you get a chance, I’d like to see a picture of the tan leather - I’ve seen tan seats on a couple of conversions that looked really good.

I have a red van though, so not sure if grey might work better?!
Not tan seats in a red vehicle. No, no, no.

I went the Brandrup second skin route for the front seats 18 months ago, very pleased look like the original and forget there on there, but don't have to be quite so OCD. Have just ordered the rear bench covers today !
Expensive....but so is a Cali.
Brandrup second skins front & rear.

IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6353.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

Last edited:
Hands up how many have seat covers at home?
If you've got mucky kids or dogs then I can see the point of waterproof covers but:Iamsorry don't see the point of protecting the seats for the next owner, a good valet would bring them to a "as new standard" for sale.
Obviously, if you want a colour change then go for it.

The fact that the seat fabric stains with just water droplets, brings to mind the phrase, "Not fit for purpose"
It's a camper van. Activities include, cooking and washing. Surely it shouldn't be beyond VW to supply seats that have some sort of protective surface considering what the vehicle is going to be used for.

J
Thank you - I will look at the Jackyards site
just come back from my first week away with Jackyards on just wiped off chocolate dog slobber, cooking juices etc Easily on return and they look like new.

We have our new Cali, and we knew the general view was that seats mark horrendously.

One weekend away in the rain and I am now a catatonic OCD mess about how I will keep the seats clean. I am weighing up second skins v's getting a reupholster in leather. I would be interested to hear from people on what they decided, and costs !! I have looked at Brandrup and Inka second skins. Brandrup looks expensive, Inka quite aren't to my taste with styling ...
Hi I bought these from the club shop easy DIY install been on the van 3 years now and still look fantastic

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

J

just come back from my first week away with Jackyards on just wiped off chocolate dog slobber, cooking juices etc Easily on return and they look like new.
Thank you - it is helpful from people using these things to their maximum

Although expensive the second skin type ones (we have the GTIPremium ones from the club shop) are made to high safety standards and your airbags will still function. This was a no-brainer for us so we bit the bullet cash wise and went for them.

We got a full set but you could just go for the cab seats and make a cover for the back or use a throw, it’s a simple shape.
I hadn’t even thought about the airbags ... that adds to the considerations. Thank you

Second skin covers will water mark just as easily as the originals, so you'll be no further forward.
They are good for protecting against wear, food etc, although removal and refitting after washing is enough of a task to not bother very often.
If it's just water marks, WelshGas has shown the way.
Really helpful - thank you ...

Just a FYI as a stain cleaning product this stuff is amazing! Our interior is the fairly light beige striped one and does mark up with greasy hands etc. A quick treatment with this stuff then a wipe with a damp cloth has removed everything we’ve thrown at it. Think we paid a couple of quid at Aldi for it. Well worth keeping a bottle handy.

274727FA-3341-481D-99EA-912271900B0A.jpeg

Just like in those TV commercials,
stains from a wet color print paper:
IMG-4703.jpg
but there comes Autoglym, and a whirlwind, aaand hop!:
IMG-4704.jpg

Last edited:
Back