Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

reversing camera

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
How easy and how much is it to install a reversing camera on a T6 Cali. It already has the sensors and the info sat nav screen

I bought an OEM VW T6 camera from Germany on ebay for around £225. Then installed myself.

The issues were:
1. strip out tailgate panelling in order to gain access to wiring and number plate panel.
2. use Dremel to cut 40x40 square hole in number plate panel.
3. route wiring cables from rear to front
4. remove radio head unit to wire in
5. use vcds diagnostics to programme new camera

In all it took me 2-3 days to complete, plus around £30 in Dremel cutter and paint and cables

Whilst £725 may sound a lot, if you are unable or not confident to do yourself, then is quite a reasonable all in price.

Alternatively there are add on rear view camera kits that can be bought and fitted, some are almost wireless to reduce effort.

I wanted the authentic VW look and quality, but you may prefer to just get the camera kit in asap and cheap as possible.

This has been one of the best investments I have in my Cali.

Let me know if you want more detail etc.

I'm curious [but not that curious to scroll through the new build web site] how much it costs if specified at onset?

It's not much more and is a bit of a no brainer.

The option on ours was £555+VAT and that included front and rear parking sensors.

The parking sensors on their own were £380+VAT

Have installed the reversing camera and the screen.
I'm happy to say it works great No problems connecting and displays a good screen for the purpose of reversing. It work really well even when driving. Its also handy having the ability to see behind you in real time even when driving (or should i say you passengers can keep an eye on what's behind!)Reversing camera screen video showing remote switch on

fullsizeoutput_fc55.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fc56.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fc57.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fc59.jpeg

@Alan Greensall thank you very much for the elaborate feedback (photo's and video) on the installing and working of the camera. At that pricepoint it's a serious option I am considering. Very much appreciated! thx.

Back