Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Right hand drive campervan uk , what side should slider door be to be legal ?

Only the two sliding door Beach is allowed into Australia for this reason. Most VW camper conversions are therefore based on the LWB Transporter with the sliding door on the left and the kitchen behind the driver.
I built a rear slide kitchen for mine, which works pretty well here with our fine weather.

Don't park against the flow of traffic in Germany, its an offence and
traffic wardens will happily give you a ticket.
It may seem a bit over the top to some but it makes sense and I like it, its orderly.
I realised years ago that when I drive in the UK I cannot rely on parked cars to
give me a clue as to which side of the road I should be on.

Big long drives, everything is good, wake up in a country that drives on the other side,
have breakfast, drive off and say, hang on, which side should I be on.
Or is it just me.
Not just you, I have the same problem, need to spend time thinking. I find when I return to the UK after several weeks in France or Spain I have to rethink. UK van. In Spain I say to myself sit by the kerb. In the UK I sit near the middle of the road. Also find it a problem cycling. I really like roads with arrows and road signs. I also prefer not to be the first in a queue at a junction I like to follow someone in a strange city in the hope they know what the road layout is.

When doing your driving test, one of the manoeuvres is to park in a space on the opposite side of the road. So no need to worry there.

Care to say who this font of mis-information is?
Just some old boy i no on the banks fishing , he had mostly auto sleepers .
And said the door on mine was on wrong side ??
Do all new uk calis have slider opposite to drivers side ??

All callis irrespective of where they are sold have the door exactly where yours is. Its just the steering wheel that may be on the other side.

I actually think it's safer where it is, if kids do have to get out the slider, I can hop out the drivers door & control their exit easily. If it's not safe to get out that side, they can walk through between the seats & exit via the passenger door.

All VW California Oceans and Beach’s have the sliding door on the same side and the kitchen on the same side. As we drive on the left hand side in the U.K. and the driver sits on the R side the sliding door is on the drivers side.
In Europe they drive on the right hand side with the driver on the L, hence the sliding door is on the passenger side.
If your fishing mate ever crossed the water to Europe with his Autosleeper he would have hade his side door on the wrong side in Europe.

The only Transporter based Campervans with the sliding door on the Passenger side are 3rd party conversions NOT a VW built California.

When you park up any car in the UK. Do you climb over to the passenger side to get out? No,you don't. Cant see the issue unless you camp in a rubbish strewn layby,and then why would you. I dont think theres been a spate of kids jumping out of side doors and being mown down. 4 door cars have the same so called problem. That's what child locks are for.

The non-Cali conversions often still have the 2 seat bench + drivers seat up front so rear passengers can’t walk through and exit from the front.
I think part of the ‘your door is on the wrong side’ is because they can’t exit other than via the slider.
My children just walk between the seats and get out of front passenger door if needing to get out that side.
And I prefer the door on the drivers side as it is my daily driver and it is much easier to pop some shopping in from my side.

I got a parking ticket in NZ for parking in daylight facing the wrong direction. Pretty Irked as I was the only in a long line of cars who had actually paid for parking but the only one ticketed.

The non-Cali conversions often still have the 2 seat bench + drivers seat up front so rear passengers can’t walk through and exit from the front.
I think part of the ‘your door is on the wrong side’ is because they can’t exit other than via the slider.
My children just walk between the seats and get out of front passenger door if needing to get out that side.
And I prefer the door on the drivers side as it is my daily driver and it is much easier to pop some shopping in from my side.

I got a parking ticket in NZ for parking in daylight facing the wrong direction. Pretty Irked as I was the only in a long line of cars who had actually paid for parking but the only one ticketed.
re :"And I prefer the door on the drivers side as it is my daily driver and it is much easier to pop some shopping in from my side"
Could not have put it better, completely agree. I find having the door there really helpful. Only problem I put the shopping in then when I get home it is in the way as where I park on our drive I need to get out of the sliding door and have to climb over the shopping.

The biggest issue I have with the door on the right is when a campervan conversion parks next to me - we open up on to the same side so heaven forbid I actually have to have a conversation with them - but that probably says more about me :D

When doing your driving test, one of the manoeuvres is to park in a space on the opposite side of the road. So no need to worry there.
Wow - was never asked to do that in 1975 but did have to do a tricky 3 point (ended up 5 point) turn in road with huge camber. Thatnkfully I was in mums Hillman Imp lol

Back