Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if anything) irritates you about you Cali?

Cured, the leg retaining clip was found to be ineffective, a short length of Velcro on the leg stopped it banging against the kitchen cabinet.
After 18 months, this is the fix that makes all those table rattle woes go away. Thank you

Something that bugs me slightly, when comparing to my previous van (T4 syncro Caravelle) is that there are few level surfaces on the Cali..

The T4 had a neat flat on the bonnet just below the windscreen. This was great for putting drinks on when carrying two coffees from the service station and the keys are in your pocket .... or if you were having a roadside stop. Also inside the dash was level too so you could put your drinks down inside and out. My Cali on the other hand has few level surfaces so it's the drinks holder or the door window sill (at your peril - if the door is opened or closed !!)

It's a minor point but I always notice it when we stop.

Also, the T4 had more room inside even though it is a smaller body shell - it was easy to move to the rear from the front. Some of this is due to a more compact engine bay but the rest is down to the seats which for me are not as good as they could be. The Cali single seats are more bulky, and I really think this compromises its function as a people carrier (I have a 7 seater Beach). Try fitting a childs isofix seat in with the rear bench set slightly forward (or indeed two) - all of a sudden there is little room from such a big van, when you have several passengers.

The T4 seats were more comfortable also.

I would still buy another (when the time is right), and I yearn for the twin sliders again...

I guess it ‘evolves’ and hopefully design modifications take on board some of our feedback… but I’ld have to say “ sort out those very flimsy front blinds”, who hasn’t bought a window screen !

I guess it ‘evolves’ and hopefully design modifications take on board some of our feedback… but I’ld have to say “ sort out those very flimsy front blinds”, who hasn’t bought a window screen !
We haven't bought a window cover. Our flimsy front blinds are OK (So far!). Control unit flimsy knob has failed now though (Bugger). Replacement fascia & knob sent for from club shop.

We haven't bought a window cover. Our flimsy front blinds are OK (So far!). Control unit flimsy knob has failed now though (Bugger). Replacement fascia & knob sent for from club shop.
Our blinds are still intact too but each time we close them we think “mmm”, so 3 yrs + now decided to go for the Comfortz window screen. Should arrive any day now …. hopefully !

What's wrong? Nothing. It's designed to cater for an average family, 2 adults, 2 children , to go where cars can go and tour in Europe using campsites and wild camping in all seasons. If used outside those parameters then it is a compromise. Mine is almost 8 yrs old has covered 116,000 miles and everything works.
If there is a complaint then it is the Handbook. Written by a backroom geek who has never used the vehicle in real life.
Controls should be intuitive, easily found and used. Every owner knows how to drive and if it takes a 400 page manual + supplements for the entertainment system and camping equipment then they have failed. But they are not alone amongst vehicle manufacturers.

I really wish the radio and cd player could be worked off the electric hookup, to avoid the risk of running down the engine battery. Does this relate to it needing extra wiring over the Caravelle base vehicle?

I really wish the radio and cd player could be worked off the electric hookup, to avoid the risk of running down the engine battery. Does this relate to it needing extra wiring over the Caravelle base vehicle?
It will still switch off after a time.
Californias post, about 2014, T5.1 and T6 at least, do trickle charge the engine battery on EHU once the Leisure batteries are full. VW don't state this but it something that has been proven on numerous occasions. If you measure the engine battery voltage once the Leisure batteries are on float charge of about 13.4v you will see the voltage gradually increase to the same level.
I use the built in entertainment system regularly when on EHU. Never flattened it.
I don't know if this is the case on the T6.1 however.

Our blinds are still intact too but each time we close them we think “mmm”, so 3 yrs + now decided to go for the Comfortz window screen. Should arrive any day now …. hopefully !
Just dismantled & re-assembled control unit sans flimsy button, as off to Arnhem tomorrow for commemorations. Will use a screwdriver (Airborne Initiative!) to operate the unit until I have time and replacement non flimsy button. VW must have spent a lot of money designing flimsy into that button.

Rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles,

and the delay when pulling away

Found one of mine....... a big rattle.....the dash. Had enough so I pulled out the glove box......

Had a Dash cam fitted by Breeze about 6-7 years ago, and I found the excess cable loosely laid under the dash to the left hand side of the glove box. Now secure and silence.......

Bloody radio, took it back to local dealer to complain that I couldn’t get some BBC dab stations. Two days later was told ‘we tried the others in stock and they can’t get them either!!!’
After they reset it I now can’t get any Dab station
Driving round listening to fm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody radio, took it back to local dealer to complain that I couldn’t get some BBC dab stations. Two days later was told ‘we tried the others in stock and they can’t get them either!!!’
After they reset it I now can’t get any Dab station
Driving round listening to fm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best thing (no BBC - pure propaganda).

Back