Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if anything) irritates you about you Cali?

Handbrake seems a long way down from the driving position and poor radio signal which is fine locally and all but useless in rural areas such as Cumbria and Cornwall.
I have never had a problem in my other cars but the Cali is terrible. I don't have after market mirror caps which I know can cause issues.

Front suspension could be much better. We still love our Cali and look forward to adventures in the future.

The flimsy front lower grill. Had 2 smashed to bits now by hitting a pigeon and more recently a pheasant,. The pheasant has also managed to damage the 1st cooler matrix behind it . But it seems ok. Is it the air con condenser?

Noticed this. Had a fab T5 since 2013 till last year and our ‘new’ 2018 T6 seems a bit cheaper, certainly the front bumper area is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish we could choose the LWB (the companies who build LWB campers are worse than VW quality)
rear side windows could open like the Benz
Auto leveling like VB air suspension
But what I REALLY don't understand is why they don't provide a remote or app for the roof, so we can walk around the car when we lower the roof to check that all is cleared !!
electric Swivel memory chairs
and of course the outdated handbrake...........

Reoccurring theme is the hand brake, it would be fairly simple for VW to do away with the old fashioned mechanical lever and provide an electronic hand brake as in many other VAG vehicle, albeit it would require a redesign of various components.

I was in a dealers show room several weeks ago, looking at a T6.1 coast, the salesman, whom I know from purchase of my current van, sauntered up, as I was nosing around, to cut a long story short, I was shocked at the lack of quality trim. The salesman agreed.
VW have opted to make most front cab trim the same as the basic Transporter van, removing a lot of the little trim bits that help justify the premium brand price tag, door cards are now just basic Transporter hard plastic and they have done away with the comfort dash option !
And as for that monstrous black carbuncle on the front of the roof someone in VW should get the bullet.
Even the salesman was bemused by the changes made by VW and could not fathom a reason for loss of trim etc.

Let’s hope the T7 corrects some of the niggles.

Last edited:
Is there a new list for T6.1??

• No post code entry allowed on the sat nav have just used waze and carplay since it makes the vw nav pretty much useless.
  • Interior light controls
  • The lever to move the seat rattles constantly unless jammmed with a small sponge
  • No foot rest for the driver
  • Moving the lock stops in the seat rails is a real knuckle banger
  • No spare wheel
  • No intercom to the rear anymore
  • Pop up roof that decided not to close until the AA man turned up

Thats my list so far, otherwise really like the ACC, the split work top is a good idea.

Is there a new list for T6.1??

• No post code entry allowed on the sat nav have just used waze and carplay since it makes the vw nav pretty much useless.
  • Interior light controls
  • The lever to move the seat rattles constantly unless jammmed with a small sponge
  • No foot rest for the driver
  • Moving the lock stops in the seat rails is a real knuckle banger
  • No spare wheel
  • No intercom to the rear anymore
  • Pop up roof that decided not to close until the AA man turned up

Thats my list so far, otherwise really like the ACC, the split work top is a good idea.
Split worktop was available on the t6

@Andy Nickson Is there a new list for T6.1??

No post code entry allowed on the sat nav have just used waze and carplay since it makes the vw nav pretty much useless. - There is on mine!
Interior light controls - mine work fine.
The lever to move the seat rattles constantly unless jammmed with a small sponge - not on mine
No foot rest for the driver - if I hadn't previously had it I wouldn't miss it.
Moving the lock stops in the seat rails is a real knuckle banger. - disagree & anyway you only have to do it once.
No spare wheel - you do if you choose sensible wheels & anyway dead easy to retrofit a 17" spare
No intercom to the rear anymore - never had it so don't miss it.
Pop up roof that decided not to close until the AA man turned up - I agree thats not good!

I would add,
I don't like the downgraded front door trims.
I miss the groove in the sink end of the kitchen cabinet, the omission means the corner shelf won't fit.
The changes to the parking heater controls, previously was simple & worked, now complicated and doesn't.
The omission from after T5.1 of the nice wide colour coded protection strips down the side of the van.
Changes to Safelock, now not possible to deadlock van with interior sensors switched off.

I don’t think the design team behind the 6.1 were California owners :-(

Not a vast list but on my T6....

The ruddy rattley kitchen table when on the move. The obligatory folded kitchen towel wedged inbetween table and kitchen unit works a treat but is an arse.

The leccy door that loves to scuff the rear wheel arch is a boon too. *must sort tomorrow*

Bar that and the swivelly chair/handbrake thing, thats it from me.

Not a vast list but on my T6....

The ruddy rattley kitchen table when on the move. The obligatory folded kitchen towel wedged inbetween table and kitchen unit works a treat but is an arse.
Neither of mine have rattled as long as they have been pushed towards the fridge as they are slid back, that way the latch seems to work better & hold it firm.

Those bloody stupid wardrobe & back cupboards doors on the T6 and the way the glue melts/degrades on the strips that are supposed to hold them together. Form over function just drives me nuts!

Wish you could easily remove & replace the bench seat headrests.

Roof corrosion & spongy suspension (versus my previous 20 year old T4!)...other than that all good!

Will upgrade the ARB eventually.

Buzz that started after warranty and comes from somewhere deep in the dashboard when maintaining 2100-2200 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. I've had passengers look while driving with no luck. I thought I would get used to it, but it irritates me every time. The concept of the van is the best available, but that and the fragile and cheap quality of the interior finish have changed my opinion of VW products. I would buy another one because there is no better option, yet, but certainly don't consider that the VW brand represents quality the way it once did.

Last edited:
Neither of mine have rattled as long as they have been pushed towards the fridge as they are slid back, that way the latch seems to work better & hold it firm.
it possibly needs further investigation. Table seems to be clicked back into place when folded but rattles at the slight hint of a bump/hump/pot hole.

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, then for me it’s the bouncing centre (double) cup holder.

Plus the inaccessibility of a cup holder for my offside child (3-seater T6 Beach)

...although I have a new rattle to investigate too!

Buzz that started after warranty and comes from somewhere deep in the dashboard when maintaining 2100-2200 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. I've had passengers look while driving with no luck. I thought I would get used to it, but it irritates me every time. The concept of the van is the best available, but that and the fragile and cheap quality of the interior finish have changed my opinion of VW products. I would buy another one because there is no better option, yet, but certainly don't consider that the VW brand represents quality the way it once did.
Totally agree the interior is fragile and cheap quality VW really are resting on there laurels with this,very disappointing.

Nothing. It’s an inanimate object. Only sentient beings have the capacity to irritate.

T6 Ocean What irritates me most is reverse gear, I always end up checking I have it in gear as when I first put my foot down on the accelerator nothing happens. The middle wardrobe is still not right, I will sort it to my liking.
oh and the table rattles too, got a piece of polystyrene wedged in the gap at the moment.

T6 Ocean What irritates me most is reverse gear, I always end up checking I have it in gear as when I first put my foot down on the accelerator nothing happens. The middle wardrobe is still not right, I will sort it to my liking.
oh and the table rattles too, got a piece of polystyrene wedged in the gap at the moment.
Our sliding table has also started to rattle, fine until the van hits a bump in the road and then it is off.
The lock is fully engaged and has been fine for four years.
My glamourous none driving assistant tells me that when she leans on the top edge all is tranquil, leave it be and it starts chattering again, not good.

On the DSG gear-lever, are the symbols on the wrong side because it’s designed for a left hand drive vehicle? It’s not sentient but it’s a little bit irritating, having to look around the lever, to ensure you have D and not N.

Perhaps my new rattle is table related then. It is a cross between a squeak and a rattle. After the amount of time spent identifying the last (awning) rattle, I’m almost afraid to start the investigation!

Our sliding table has also started to rattle, fine until the van hits a bump in the road and then it is off.
The lock is fully engaged and has been fine for four years.
My glamourous none driving assistant tells me that when she leans on the top edge all is tranquil, leave it be and it starts chattering again, not good.
Cured, the leg retaining clip was found to be ineffective, a short length of Velcro on the leg stopped it banging against the kitchen cabinet.

I'm looking for comments about the 3 doors on the rear of the 3person bench. Mine drop off all the time and it's sooo irritating. I wish the 3 person bench had a single large draw similar to the the 2 person bench.

I'm looking for comments about the 3 doors on the rear of the 3person bench. Mine drop off all the time and it's sooo irritating. I wish the 3 person bench had a single large draw similar to the the 2 person bench.
The rear covers do fall off easily, particularly when moving the seat when you have stuff in the under seat drawers, but they also clip back on very easily.
A bit a blue tack or Velcro may assist in keeping them in place.

Back