Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 not starting up anymore

bverduijn

bverduijn

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Good evening

I have a 2015 California. Had to park the van and SORN it in a climate controlled garage for a year. Sat Nav worked fine at the time. Batteries were disconnected at the start of SORN period, then reconnected when I picked up the van again 14 months later. It looks like everything works fine, except for the RNS510 Sat Nav system (and therefore the audio system).

It looks like the system is trying to boot up, but the VW Logo screen is usually split (bottom and top half out of sync). It seems to try starting up, but then fails and re-tries. It re-tries every few minutes. Tried to do a reset by pressing the two <> buttons and the star button, but that doesn't work.

Spoke to somebody who had something similar with an Audi and he said he had to disconnect the battery again, then follow some kind of re-start sequence on the SatNav whilst re-connecting the battery.

Unfortunately the VW warranty expired during the SORN period, so I can't get it looked at by VW for free.

Has anyone experienced something like this before and/or can give any useful tips?

Thank you

Bjorn

Good evening

I have a 2015 California. Had to park the van and SORN it in a climate controlled garage for a year. Sat Nav worked fine at the time. Batteries were disconnected at the start of SORN period, then reconnected when I picked up the van again 14 months later. It looks like everything works fine, except for the RNS510 Sat Nav system (and therefore the audio system).

It looks like the system is trying to boot up, but the VW Logo screen is usually split (bottom and top half out of sync). It seems to try starting up, but then fails and re-tries. It re-tries every few minutes. Tried to do a reset by pressing the two <> buttons and the star button, but that doesn't work.

Spoke to somebody who had something similar with an Audi and he said he had to disconnect the battery again, then follow some kind of re-start sequence on the SatNav whilst re-connecting the battery.

Unfortunately the VW warranty expired during the SORN period, so I can't get it looked at by VW for free.

Has anyone experienced something like this before and/or can give any useful tips?

Thank you

Bjorn
Have you tried googling RNS 510 , REBOOT or disconnected or similar? The RNS was fitted to a wide range of vehicles so someone should have posted a fix.

Good evening

Thank you

Bjorn
Try this Battery Drain technique.

I've got the same problem, did you get it sorted? I read somewhere in this forum that it's a terminal situation and that VW has to update the software to the latest version. I'm trying to find the post.

I've got the same problem, did you get it sorted? I read somewhere in this forum that it's a terminal situation and that VW has to update the software to the latest version. I'm trying to find the post.
UK - Repair and Update for RNS510. You could give them a call.

I had this problem.

VW van centre tried to install new firmware (fix) but this failed.

They had to replace with new unit. Fortunately I was covered by VW Warranty.

At work We use these people for repairs and technical issues .

Had same problem since last year on 2015 Cali. We live in Ireland. VW dealer said replacement unit needed and quoted €3500! Tried various repairs and repair outlets in Ireland with no joy. Removed unit while in U.K. and posted it to SATNAV Systems - see above. They do free diagnostics and quoted for a repair/upgrade. Have just had it back and happy.

Had same problem since last year on 2015 Cali. We live in Ireland. VW dealer said replacement unit needed and quoted €3500! Tried various repairs and repair outlets in Ireland with no joy. Removed unit while in U.K. and posted it to SATNAV Systems - see above. They do free diagnostics and quoted for a repair/upgrade. Have just had it back and happy.
Hi Richard, can you tell me a bit more detail please, did you remove the unit yourself, was the unit repaired, what was the repair, cost? etc Thank you.

Hi Richard, can you tell me a bit more detail please, did you remove the unit yourself, was the unit repaired, what was the repair, cost? etc Thank you.
Hi Moss trooper

if you get in Contact with SatNav Systems direct that will be able to quote for the repair relevant to your issue & advise regarding getting the unit to them.

They are a super helpful company

see the online enquiry form.

they can actually Retro fit a T6 Discover Media unit to the T5

I hope that helps, be sure to tell them you were recommended via the VWCC site.

Last edited:
As it was a trek too far to get to Surbiton, I removed the unit myself (removed top panel with plastic card, undid 2 screws, removed front panel with card, undid 4 screws, detached three plug in leads) and parcelled it up to them with Post Office - shipping was about £18 including £1500 insurance from U.K. address. Hamid at SatNav came back quickly. Said it was repairable and would include new mapping and 12month guarantee. No charge for diagnostics. Repair Quote was appx £580 including return parcel. Decided to go with it and unit came back quickly. Haven’t used it yet as we’re in Ireland and Van is in U.K. but my brother in law plugged it in and said it’s up and running. Will be using it next weekend.

As it was a trek too far to get to Surbiton, I removed the unit myself (removed top panel with plastic card, undid 2 screws, removed front panel with card, undid 4 screws, detached three plug in leads) and parcelled it up to them with Post Office - shipping was about £18 including £1500 insurance from U.K. address. Hamid at SatNav came back quickly. Said it was repairable and would include new mapping and 12month guarantee. No charge for diagnostics. Repair Quote was appx £580 including return parcel. Decided to go with it and unit came back quickly. Haven’t used it yet as we’re in Ireland and Van is in U.K. but my brother in law plugged it in and said it’s up and running. Will be using it next weekend.
Thanks Richard, sounds like a possible fix for me.

Back