Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road tax

Wendy

Wendy

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi everyone, just wondering, does it seem fair to you how much road tax we pay for our Calies ? I think it’s well too much and I just wanted to make sure what I am paying is right

The only thing we can do is pay the tax. It could be far worse if you look at some other countries.

I wish the tax was collected through fuel taxation. I have 3 vehicles including the Cali, I'm the only driver of all 3, so only one can be on the road at a time but I have to pay tax on all 3. Apart from the Cali, the other 2 are pretty low in value so the cost of just keeping them "on the road" (on the drive) represents a large percentage of their value.

I just offset the road tax on the savings I make on holidays.

I wish the tax was collected through fuel taxation.
We already have tax on our fuel, this is a tax on the number of vehicles that you own. It seems reasonable to me that someone with several vehicles able to go on the road at any one time should pay more in tax than someone with only one. And, although it's painful, I also think that it's reasonable that someone with a vehicle that costs over £40K should pay more than someone with a cheaper vehicle.

I didn't think £220 was too bad. We used to pay nearly £500 for the LR Defender.
My tax is £305 for the year ? I have no clue how they work it out ,the car I sold when we got the van was only £30 a year!

We already have tax on our fuel, this is a tax on the number of vehicles that you own. It seems reasonable to me that someone with several vehicles able to go on the road at any one time should pay more in tax than someone with only one. And, although it's painful, I also think that it's reasonable that someone with a vehicle that costs over £40K should pay more than someone with a cheaper vehicle.
I don’t see how the value of the vehicle matters to how much road tax ,surely it’s more to do with how much it’s used on the roads

Hi everyone, just wondering, does it seem fair to you how much road tax we pay for our Calies ? I think it’s well too much and I just wanted to make sure what I am paying is right
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 14.49.19.jpg

If you don't agree then I suggest you contact your MP.
If you are NOT using your vehicle throughout the year and you can park it off the Public Highway then just SORN it for the time you are not using it. You will get a refund of any already paid Road Tax, but ONLY in Full Months so do it On-Line at the end of the month.

I can't understand the logic as to why its reasonable to tax more for having more than one car you can only drive one at a time.Surely it would be more logical to tax per driving licence, would encourage people to have more than one car - small car for popping round town & a big one for longer jaunts, with big tax discounts for British Built cars.

As for the extra cost for cars over £40k - thats totally unfair. Having recently bought a Lotus for less than 40k with a list price over the 40k that really hurt. Its ended up with the second cleanest / most economic & lightest car in our household paying the most Tax. Surely it should be done as a percentage of the vehicle price.

You can't put a price on fun! X

I paid £245 in October 2017
I paid £190 in October, I await with interest what new fee the chancellor will soon impose on my super clean diesel in the near future.
The charge of the super tax on vehicles costing over £40000 registered after April 2017 is outrageous, the government already gets 20% in VAT.
It is only the California and the Marco Polo that pays this extra, all other conversions/motorhomes are exempt. no matter how much they cost. These vehicles manufactures/converters just do not list the CO2 emissions when they are registered and they are taxed as private goods vehicles at the standard £240 ish rate.
The goons at the inland revenue/treasury/DVLA are idiots (probably).

View attachment 27657

If you don't agree then I suggest you contact your MP.
If you are NOT using your vehicle throughout the year and you can park it off the Public Highway then just SORN it for the time you are not using it. You will get a refund of any already paid Road Tax, but ONLY in Full Months so do it On-Line at the end of the month.
Thanks Welsh gas

I can't understand the logic as to why its reasonable to tax more for having more than one car you can only drive one at a time.
If fuel taxes and vehicle taxes had anything to do with the roads I would agree with you. But these taxes just get lumped into the same pot as every other tax.

Politicians like to have loads sources of tax revenue so they can make a lot of noise about income tax rates and personal allowances whilst quietly replacing lost revenue from other sources. I would prefer a tax system that was less opaque, but in the meantime, it seems logical to me to tax all the cars you run, on the basis that the more cars you have, the more likely you are to be able to afford it.

I have a quote for a new ocean and it says the road tax is £500 Im confused now

Back