Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road tax

In the good old days the duty was to pay for roads, sadly the duty is now just another revenue source for general taxation purposes. What you can look foward to is an ever increasing tax burden. What a lovely thought! As the saying goes Death and Taxes. Just wish the big corporations like Amazon and Apple paid their due so we peasants did not have to make up the shortfall.

If fuel taxes and vehicle taxes had anything to do with the roads I would agree with you. But these taxes just get lumped into the same pot as every other tax.

Politicians like to have loads sources of tax revenue so they can make a lot of noise about income tax rates and personal allowances whilst quietly replacing lost revenue from other sources. I would prefer a tax system that was less opaque, but in the meantime, it seems logical to me to tax all the cars you run, on the basis that the more cars you have, the more likely you are to be able to afford it.

Or just out the tax on fuel because it's not road to tax

I've just had my renewal notice for my 2017 Beach - £190 for 12 months; £99.75 for 6 months; £199.50 over 12 equal payments for 12 months.

I'm not sure I need to renew just yet, I won't be back in the UK until June or July 2018.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Careful of that re your insurance. I insure with Comfort and one of their stipulations is that there has to be Road Tax effective at all times.

I've just had my renewal notice for my 2017 Beach - £190 for 12 months; £99.75 for 6 months; £199.50 over 12 equal payments for 12 months.

I'm not sure I need to renew just yet, I won't be back in the UK until June or July 2018.

You'd need to put it on SORN as you will get an automatic fine for not having current VED.
Either on SORN or Taxed in DVLA's eyes. Nothing between. If out of the country for more than a month you can run into registering where you are issues and exporting from UK may also be required. Be careful.

Careful of that re your insurance. I insure with Comfort and one of their stipulations is that there has to be Road Tax effective at all times.
Agree with that as I have a Historic car which previously, when off the road, I could have reduced cover for the time it was laid up but now it must be MOT'd & Taxed and no reduced rate cover. Fortunately it has Historic no cost VED.

Last edited:
It makes sense that you pay the tax for each vehicle you own, even tho only one is on the road at a time, because it's Vehicle Excise Duty, not Road Tax!

Please remember when travelling in EU your vehicle has to comply with laws, regulations in the country of registration, as @BerndRos says your insurance will be null and void. Also you have a family to think of.

It makes sense that you pay the tax for each vehicle you own, even tho only one is on the road at a time, because it's Vehicle Excise Duty, not Road Tax!
Not so many years ago there was a big tax hike on vehicle fuels with the statement that those who use the roads most should pay more through the fuel tax that they use.
Another of those slipped out of general memory over the years.

Not so many years ago there was a big tax hike on vehicle fuels with the statement that those who use the roads most should pay more through the fuel tax that they use.
Another of those slipped out of general memory over the years.
The amount of tax on fuels is so large they couldn't raise it by much more or we would all be walking. The motorist is an easy target and they milk it for sure.

Please remember when travelling in EU your vehicle has to comply with laws, regulations in the country of registration, as @BerndRos says your insurance will be null and void. Also you have a family to think of.

Even if there is some loophole, it is probably easier to pay up. £190 is about 50p a day - it's not a fortune even if I'm not using British roads for 6 or more months.

I can't understand the logic as to why its reasonable to tax more for having more than one car you can only drive one at a time.Surely it would be more logical to tax per driving licence, would encourage people to have more than one car - small car for popping round town & a big one for longer jaunts, with big tax discounts for British Built cars.

As for the extra cost for cars over £40k - thats totally unfair. Having recently bought a Lotus for less than 40k with a list price over the 40k that really hurt. Its ended up with the second cleanest / most economic & lightest car in our household paying the most Tax. Surely it should be done as a percentage of the vehicle price.
The real nasty bit is the tax applies to the Manufacturer's list price not what you pay for it, you could have 50% discount and pay as little as £20,000.01 and still get hit but you could also buy a car for £39.999 on the same day with no discount and pay no extra VED tax.

You are doing the correct thing taxing it the rules are:

2. For less than 12 months
Take your V5C (log book) with you if you’re taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (also known as temporary export). If your V5C needs updating, allow 6 weeks before you travel to get it back in time.

UK-registered vehicles that are exported temporarily remain subject to UK law. That means you need to make sure:

• your vehicle is taxed in the UK while it’s abroad
  • you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance
You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Even if there is some loophole, it is probably easier to pay up. £190 is about 50p a day - it's not a fortune even if I'm not using British roads for 6 or more months.

I would as I'm pretty sure that there is an inter country agreement that you can use a vehicle in other countries for free provided that it is fully compliant with the vehicles registered country and compliant with all the requirements. ie not legal on the UK roads and not legal anywhere else either.

Last edited:
No problem now I’ve ordered my Ocean I’m delighted I’m helping out because of the unfortunate ones who can’t afford to pay

Does it really matter what the VED rate is on a Cali? You have to pay it.

It's not as if there's anything you can do about it. If you want a Cali then you have to stump up the cash for the VED. The only way to pay less is to buy a van that was registered before the recent VED hike.

Since when has the Governments policy on VED had anything to do with faiirness?

Last edited:
£800-00 Road tax on the cali ocean :rage:Grin:(:) what the hell
Who's your dealer? Did they not advise you of taxation rates?

It turns out that three times as many people aren't bothering to pay anyway, since the tax disc was abolished:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...s-tax-disc-abolition-vehicle-excise-duty-dvla
I don't know how untaxed drivers get away with it. I was stopped within hours of driving a used Peugeot off a main dealer forecourt on 1 October 2013. I was taxed that very morning but the police computer evidently said no. Was I just unlucky? At the time I was delighted at this remarkable police efficiency in auto-detecting untaxed vehicles, even though it produced a false positive on this occasion.

Back