Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roll-Out Awning - How useful and how often...

if its a grey one from plymouth its mate of mine .he gor for sale its new ,did try to sale it on here .got brackets as-well

Hodgsonfamily said:
Did the sloping trick with our fiamma caravan store canopy, when i use to tow a mobile chicane ,works a treat.

Just a note there is a full omnistar kit on The Bay at the moment £450. Even looks to have the handle.

Regards

John H

Have you got an item number please ?

We used ours practically every place we stopped this summer. Kept the sun (and the rain) off a treat, kept the van inside cooler too. It's an absolute must as far as we're concerned.

Use ours a lot but I don't like the look of them - looks rather out of place stuck on the edge of an otherwise nice looking van.

I use an Outwell Rolling Sun Canopy if we're staying two or more nights (and it's not windy!), but for single nights, I often use the roll-out. As a light sleeper, I did find the fabric flapping against the arms a bit noisy at night, but sticking some gaffer tape on stops most of this.

andrew bazeley said:
I use an Outwell Rolling Sun Canopy if we're staying two or more nights (and it's not windy!), but for single nights, I often use the roll-out. As a light sleeper, I did find the fabric flapping against the arms a bit noisy at night, but sticking some gaffer tape on stops most of this.

Wind the awning out fully then wind in a tad to take up the tension & should not flap. Also helps if you use either guy ropes or awning tie downs.

Just get one. You'll use it more than you ever imagine; just offset one corner in heavy rain and don't try and roll it up if frozen - roll it up before it freezes!
DrJohnB

Awning is essential bit of kit! Having had 3 seasons with a classic bay and trying to put up an awning without the van getting wet and you getting soaked, is an art in itself! When we bought our ex-demo call a few months ago (with an awning) we talked about taking the awning off for the majority of the time (the van is our second vehicle) but it is just so good... must be the easiest awning to put out - even stops light getting straight into the van when you initially open the sliding door! If you have the money - do it now!

I use mine every time I can it really is nice to sit under and when I attach the sides it
Creates a great space :thumb would not be without it
Likewise but what type of awning is fitted as standard please? Thule, Omnistor? I have a 2018 Cali Ocean and am thinking of buying an awning kit, tension rafter and mat

Likewise but what type of awning is fitted as standard please? Thule, Omnistor? I have a 2018 Cali Ocean and am thinking of buying an awning kit, tension rafter and mat
Thule and Omnistor are now one company.
This is the awning fitted from Factory.

After much deliberation we just put a deposit on an ex-demo California. The van is as close to the spec we could get for our budegt but it has no awning.

So the question is for mainly UK trips is it worth having and are there any benefits in not having it (noise / fuel consumption etc). I expect we'll often take a small tent awning anyway as we have a load of stuff to store such as baby seats so I'm wondering if we'll actually use the pull-out very often.

To have the VW awning fitted it will cost just under £400.

How many times a year do you use your awning..??
We wouldn’t be without an awning, we use it on some days trips as well as on trips away. If you’ve children it will be useful in providing some shade.

Always use ours. Even out a bit, it'll act as a porch: to stop sun or rain getting in to the van.

Even if we just go out for the day we'll try and park in an end space so when we get back to chill we can wind it out a bit, makes it feel more like you're camping, not just parking (the grandkids love it).

When pitching on site , if we have enough room we always attach the driveaway to the wind out (that's wound out at least so the cab door can open). Why?
  • you can easily adjust the connection:
    • ensures a nice taut tunnel (I can't stand a flappy tunnel)
    • if you drive away, when you get back you don't have to get it an exact distance, you just need to be straight
  • it's light and airy in the van and not so claustraphobic
  • it allows for more undercover, but well-ventilated, space
  • if you have the deisel heater on you're not filling the driveaway with fumes
I use good quality shower curtains at the sides for privacy (pegged down) and tie them back (like curtains) when I want it open. If we don't have enough space for he driveaway to have it's tunnel extended you canwind out the awning so it covers part of the driveaway.​

If you're camped on a narrow pitch it mark out your space nicely (so you don't need to go round weeing in the corners :D ).If people are cutting across your space as a through path they usually won't walk under your awning so will be further away from the van.

Also you can attach things other than awnings/tarps to them (hung from the rail: washing line, coats, towels, outdoor lights, smelly boots, cooking utensils, etc).

It's certainly worth the money and the trade off for that little loss in aerodynamism (is that even a word?)/cost of fuel. I wouldn't be without ours.

Not used our wind out awning yet, but would not be without it. Bought the tie down straps for the Cali shop for when we do.

I can't imagine a camping vehicle without an awning. Anywhere sunny, they are essential and they are also useful in keeping rain off to give a dry working area in front of the van. You do have to be careful about the wind and need to have a tie down. Dropping a leg is recommended if you don't want to end up as @Borris describes in another post after rain. I also carry two strong polythene sacks which I fill with sand/pebbles to use as tie down anchors if I'm on sandy ground (usually non camp site).

I can't imagine a camping vehicle without an awning. Anywhere sunny, they are essential and they are also useful in keeping rain off to give a dry working area in front of the van. You do have to be careful about the wind and need to have a tie down. Dropping a leg is recommended if you don't want to end up as @Borris describes in another post after rain. I also carry two strong polythene sacks which I fill with sand/pebbles to use as tie down anchors if I'm on sandy ground (usually non camp site).
You need these for sand/sandy soil.

Thank goodness that the new awnings are one piece material instead of the horrendous One big bit and a slither..Ours came apart when on holiday 2 years ago just out of warranty but after a lot of NO sorry from VW they finally gave in and gave us a brand new one for £250.. It was a very bad design in the first place but all good now...I can’t imagine a California without an awning..Apart from on Aires we use our awing every time we camp..

As a counterpoint, we have an awning and in three years of ownership have used it only very occasionally. We have not found it much use in UK as there’s often not much sun to be protected from and wind/rain means it can be a liability. It’s ironic that it’s not much use in UK to shelter from rain. Must NEVER be left unattended whilst rolled out. Very useful if travelling where it’s hot, but we only do this occasionally. Having said all that, I removed the awning during lockdown and the van doesn’t look quite right...

As a counterpoint, we have an awning and in three years of ownership have used it only very occasionally. We have not found it much use in UK as there’s often not much sun to be protected from and wind/rain means it can be a liability. It’s ironic that it’s not much use in UK to shelter from rain. Must NEVER be left unattended whilst rolled out. Very useful if travelling where it’s hot, but we only do this occasionally. Having said all that, I removed the awning during lockdown and the van doesn’t look quite right...

I have left the awning fully out unattended on multiple occasions, normally with the Thule sides fitted and always with substantial tie down ropes. Of course if gales are forecast it comes in.

Always use ours. Even out a bit, it'll act as a porch: to stop sun or rain getting in to the van.

Even if we just go out for the day we'll try and park in an end space so when we get back to chill we can wind it out a bit, makes it feel more like you're camping, not just parking (the grandkids love it).

When pitching on site , if we have enough room we always attach the driveaway to the wind out (that's wound out at least so the cab door can open). Why?
  • you can easily adjust the connection:
    • ensures a nice taut tunnel (I can't stand a flappy tunnel)
    • if you drive away, when you get back you don't have to get it an exact distance, you just need to be straight
  • it's light and airy in the van and not so claustraphobic
  • it allows for more undercover, but well-ventilated, space
  • if you have the deisel heater on you're not filling the driveaway with fumes
I use good quality shower curtains at the sides for privacy (pegged down) and tie them back (like curtains) when I want it open. If we don't have enough space for he driveaway to have it's tunnel extended you canwind out the awning so it covers part of the driveaway.​

If you're camped on a narrow pitch it mark out your space nicely (so you don't need to go round weeing in the corners :D ).If people are cutting across your space as a through path they usually won't walk under your awning so will be further away from the van.

Also you can attach things other than awnings/tarps to them (hung from the rail: washing line, coats, towels, outdoor lights, smelly boots, cooking utensils, etc).

It's certainly worth the money and the trade off for that little loss in aerodynamism (is that even a word?)/cost of fuel. I wouldn't be without ours.
It’s nice to see ALL the uses of your awning having been tried..Really if you are too frightened that a gust of wind will suddenly rip it off your van then you really shouldn’t have one..My son in laws dad has a motorhome and once he “Heard” that someone had their awning damaged by a gust of wind so that was it the awning NEVER came out again..Really if you secure it well there is no reason it should get damaged in moderate winds. ..We use ours for cooking under either sheltering from the blistering heat in Spain to the torrential rain in Wales..Also just make sure it’s secured unlevel so the rain drains off nicely..Also the little adjusting brackets on the legs are handy for putting a rubbish bag off the ground..

As a counterpoint, we have an awning and in three years of ownership have used it only very occasionally. We have not found it much use in UK as there’s often not much sun to be protected from and wind/rain means it can be a liability. It’s ironic that it’s not much use in UK to shelter from rain. Must NEVER be left unattended whilst rolled out. Very useful if travelling where it’s hot, but we only do this occasionally. :thumb Having said all that, I removed the awning during lockdown and the van doesn’t look quite right...

Personally I disagree with some of the comments regarding the ability of the awning to withstand rough weather. If the legs are pegged correctly and a good tie-down kit used as well as the awning angled to provide run off then it will withstand, at least, as bad a storm as the pop top roof.
VW never show the awning with tiedowns, nor properly pegged out and they don't even provide pegs for the legs.
The number of times I've seen these Awnings on California and conversions just rolled out without pegs in the legs, as a minimum, its a wonder there aren't more posts of damaged Awnings.
No problem in the UK come rain or shine, summer or winter and I have yet to take it down and have only failed to put it up on two occasions when I didn't put the roof up either. Instead I used a tarpaulin, tied to the Awning canister and pegged out so there was protection to the sliding door. My storm porch.