Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof angle

I reckon they'll run through the charging cycle and tests and conclude the battery has failed because we flattened it and I'll have to pay for a replacement.

Still, a meal out for the four of us ~60 Euros so 175 Euros = 3 meals out. Worth a punt. We are in a villa for 18 nights near Palermo, so emptying the van and not having it overnight shouldn't be a big deal.

But - I'll be amazed if I get a new battery out of it.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

So when you buy a new battery and it has a 2 year guarantee is
there a clause in there that says you cannot flatten it ?

It´s been a great trip to follow :thumb good luck.

Follow my bog : www.crap anywhere.wc

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Just make sure the charger controller matches the requirements of the battery, if you overheat a lithium battery it will be the whole van that needs replacing not just the battery.
Indeed, though most have built in controllers to take care of that. Fraction of the size and weight, can be run almost totally flat without damage. Will last most people’s lifetime and compatible with all conventional lead acid chargers if needs be. Lithium battery prices are falling fast so it won’t be long before lead is dead. Can’t wait to not be carting a whole load of lead around. Google lithium ion leasure battery, lots out there.

Ive got a cupboard full of knackered lithium ion power tool batteries so not 100% convinced yet about lasting a lifetime.

Ive got a cupboard full of knackered lithium ion power tool batteries so not 100% convinced yet about lasting a lifetime.
What a waste of cupboard space, you should recycle them! Tools with built in batteries are unlikely to have decent battery management systems and will cook batteries to death. Modern Li leasure batteries can last up to 5000 cycles. ( Victron ). Even If they last only 25% of that and you run them completely flat 50 times a year then they should still last 25 years. I’m only repeating the blurb.

I reckon they'll run through the charging cycle and tests and conclude the battery has failed because we flattened it and I'll have to pay for a replacement.

How will they know you flattened it? If in doubt just say nothing other than it is only a few months old and it doesn't work.

is a solar panel charger really this f.....g complicated?I'm more baffled now than ever. I wanted to fit one but reckon if I don't have one I know where I stand. I think.

Update

Just back from VW Palermo. They say the battery is fine. Test results gave 12.6V, 455 CCA and 12.6V, 468 CCA. My claim was that the capacity had dropped from ~75 Ah to ~45 Ah, and I have not seen how this has been tested. Is the CCA result sufficient to test the capacity?

Either VW Palermo are wrong, or our solar charger consistently showing 3 out of 5 bars (~60%) for the leisure battery is wrong.

Assuming for now that the battery is fine, is there any plausible explanation of why the charger might be showing 3 out of 5 bars but the battery is fine?

Update

Just back from VW Palermo. They say the battery is fine. Test results gave 12.6V, 455 CCA and 12.6V, 468 CCA. My claim was that the capacity had dropped from ~75 Ah to ~45 Ah, and I have not seen how this has been tested. Is the CCA result sufficient to test the capacity?

Either VW Palermo are wrong, or our solar charger consistently showing 3 out of 5 bars (~60%) for the leisure battery is wrong.

Assuming for now that the battery is fine, is there any plausible explanation of why the charger might be showing 3 out of 5 bars but the battery is fine?

What voltage are you getting on the MPPT?

So controller output is 20 vdc and battery is reading 14.3 vdc. So where are the 5.7 vdc going?
I would have thought that 20 vdc output to battery is too high?

So controller output is 20 vdc and battery is reading 14.3 vdc. So where are the 5.7 vdc going?
I would have thought that 20 vdc output to battery is too high?

Panels to charger is 20V; charger to battery is 14.3V with higher amps.

With the panels unplugged charger was reading 13.6V, so that would be the battery output (it may have dropped further if left unplugged for longer).

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu