Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bed lights …

P

Persephone

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
T6.1. I’m sure it’s us - but the lights in the roof bed work fine, and then they don’t, and then they work just fine the next day … is there a setting we have missed ??

T6.1. I’m sure it’s us - but the lights in the roof bed work fine, and then they don’t, and then they work just fine the next day … is there a setting we have missed ??
Not sure if this helps…but if the roof isn’t 100% up, they won’t work. Mine developed a fault that the roof would drop a cm or 2 and they wouldn’t work until it was opened again fully…

That’s really helpful - I’m just looking at a similar thread where the roof isn’t playing nicely - I will see what re-opening does. How did you get a resolve ? Or didn’t you really ??
Not sure if this helps…but if the roof isn’t 100% up, they won’t work. Mine developed a fault that the roof would drop a cm or 2 and they wouldn’t work until it was opened again fully…
M

That’s really helpful - I’m just looking at a similar thread where the roof isn’t playing nicely - I will see what re-opening does. How did you get a resolve ? Or didn’t you really ??

M
Well…it’s only a recent thing. The dealer says they have made an adjustment to fix it otherwise it’s a bigger job to replace some struts that pop the roof up??? Let’s see

Well…it’s only a recent thing. The dealer says they have made an adjustment to fix it otherwise it’s a bigger job to replace some struts that pop the roof up??? Let’s see
I'd be interested to know if the 'fix' has worked and if so which dealer did it. Our roof is sinking quite a bit and therefore the lights also don't work and it is booked in to VW Bristol in October to see if it can be repaired. VW Assist thinks it is an hydraulic issue so be good to know what your dealer did to try and resolve the issue?

I'd be interested to know if the 'fix' has worked and if so which dealer did it. Our roof is sinking quite a bit and therefore the lights also don't work and it is booked in to VW Bristol in October to see if it can be repaired. VW Assist thinks it is an hydraulic issue so be good to know what your dealer did to try and resolve the issue?
1st repair is upload latest software, this doesn't stop the roof sagging but does sort the control panel so that the roof isn't stuck anymore, it lets you put the roof down even if it has sagged to the intermediate position. Its not really a fix, more a bodge to stop the likes of me ringing VW assist every morning to put the roof down as a subtle hint.

2nd repair is replace the hydraulic rams, takes an hour or two & I've yet to hear from anyone who has had this repair done & its worked!

3rd repair is replace the hydraulic pump, it is believed that there's a batch out there that have faulty valves, from what I've seen this is the 19 this affects the early T6.1s its major job & the garage wants 4 or 5 days. Mines being done in a couple of weeks, I'll update on this forum if it fixes it.

1st repair is upload latest software, this doesn't stop the roof sagging but does sort the control panel so that the roof isn't stuck anymore, it lets you put the roof down even if it has sagged to the intermediate position. Its not really a fix, more a bodge to stop the likes of me ringing VW assist every morning to put the roof down as a subtle hint.

2nd repair is replace the hydraulic rams, takes an hour or two & I've yet to hear from anyone who has had this repair done & its worked!

3rd repair is replace the hydraulic pump, it is believed that there's a batch out there that have faulty valves, from what I've seen this is the 19 this affects the early T6.1s its major job & the garage wants 4 or 5 days. Mines being done in a couple of weeks, I'll update on this forum if it fixes it.
I have just been told by a dealer that there is a new VW bulletin that has been issued to dealers on this problem and no doubt it follows your experience. Let's hope we can all get the required fix and no more collapsing roofs in the night! Look forward to hearing the results of your work in a few weeks' time - mine also goes in in three weeks' time.

I'd be interested in knowing which dealer you are dealing with. Have they done steps 1 & 2 and now booked in to do step 3? I do not have much faith in my dealer and the one I bought it from (which I do have faith in) is the other side of the country.

Dealer is Woburn Green, and yes we have done steps one and two. Three has been delayed for a couple of months waiting for a pump to turn up. Now the pumps here it’s another 3 week wait for a slot when a courtesy vehicle is available. They want the van for a week to do the replacement.

Dealer is Woburn Green, and yes we have done steps one and two. Three has been delayed for a couple of months waiting for a pump to turn up. Now the pumps here it’s another 3 week wait for a slot when a courtesy vehicle is available. They want the van for a week to do the replacement.
That's interesting. I have just spoken to my dealer and they have said that VW technical bulletin says it is not permitted to replace the hydraulic pump. They are going to do the technical fix per the bulletin (ref 2010030/7). Be good to touch base with each other in a few weeks' time. best of luck!

As the pump is the only bit of the system that now hasn’t been replaced they don’t really have a lot of choice.

I wonder if they really mean do steps 1&2 first and 3 only as a last resort.

Up until last week there were no pumps available which may have had an influence as to the approach.

If it was out of warranty I would be doing the fix myself, chances are it’s a bit of swarf stuck in a valve so it’s not sealing properly.

As the pump is the only bit of the system that now hasn’t been replaced they don’t really have a lot of choice.

I wonder if they really mean do steps 1&2 first and 3 only as a last resort.

Up until last week there were no pumps available which may have had an influence as to the approach.

If it was out of warranty I would be doing the fix myself, chances are it’s a bit of swarf stuck in a valve so it’s not sealing properly.
Think you might be right. Lets see how they both get on.....

Have you actually seen a copy off the bulletin ? I would be interested to see it.

Have you actually seen a copy off the bulletin ? I would be interested to see it.
No I'm not allowed to, I asked for a copy but they said it is confidential. But two different dealers (the dealer I bought the van from and the dealer it is now booked in to do the work) have read it out to me so it does exist and is in circulation for the dealers to read and action. They even read out the bit that said the pump should not be replaced.

I have the T6. My problem with the upstairs roof lights was corrected by checking the wiring connections at the foot of the sleeping area. They had come loose, and once re-connected everything has worked well. They are hidden by a fabric sleeve that envelopes the sleeping area.

I have a T6 and had a similar issue with the roof not staying up. I didn’t check the lights when this happened as It kept sagging to a catastrophic extent. I took it into the dealer in Liverpool where they replaced one of the hydraulic struts. It seems to have been fine since ..

If ignition is on ,roof leds are off!!

T6.1. Jsem si jistý, že jsme to my - ale světla na střešním lůžku fungují dobře, a pak ne, a pak fungují dobře další den ... je nějaké nastavení, které jsme zmeškali ??
Hello in my Cali. The same ☹️

That's interesting. I have just spoken to my dealer and they have said that VW technical bulletin says it is not permitted to replace the hydraulic pump. They are going to do the technical fix per the bulletin (ref 2010030/7). Be good to touch base with each other in a few weeks' time. best of luck!

Just to update this thread re roof sagging.

Wooburn Green replaced the hydraulic pump last week - they needed the van for four days to do it so a major job.
I left the roof up all day Saturday & there wasn't even a hint of sag on either side, so I'm hoping it is now 100% fixed.

All credit to Wooburn - I had a far nicer courtesy van this time a 150DSG transporter. My van was returned cleaned very well inside & out & no sign at all of any greasy fingerprints, broken trim etc, so very pleased if it is finally fixed.

Wooburn Green replaced the hydraulic pump last week - they needed the van for four days to do it so a major job.
I left the roof up all day Saturday & there wasn't even a hint of sag on either side, so I'm hoping it is now 100% fixed.

All credit to Wooburn - I had a far nicer courtesy van this time a 150DSG transporter. My van was returned cleaned very well inside & out & no sign at all of any greasy fingerprints, broken trim etc, so very pleased if it is finally fixed.
lucky you, well done for persevering. Mine went in to Bristol Van Centre the morning but they still say VW refuse to replace the hydralics and they are only allowed to bleed the system. Let's see how mine gets on over the next few days??

How many times has it been in? Mine took 3 visits + 5 call outs to Vw assist in the end.

Trouble is once one dealer has touched it no-one else wants to know.

Well as possibly expected Bristol Van Centre did the bleeding of the system and software update and said they have resolved my problem with the sinking roof and pop up lights not working. Took it away to Dorset for the weekend and had to raise the roof 4 times to keep it up. Gone back to Bristol and told them the bad news so on to the next step. They need to get VW to authorise more work and I am not sure whether they will be able to. The lady I deal with Beccy is so helpful but her hands are tied by instructions from VW head office as to what they can and cannot do. I will not have an update for some time but if anyone else gets a positive resolution please do let me know. Also you think it is worth me speaking to VW at Wooburn and it so do you have a helpful name?

Well as possibly expected Bristol Van Centre did the bleeding of the system and software update and said they have resolved my problem with the sinking roof and pop up lights not working. Took it away to Dorset for the weekend and had to raise the roof 4 times to keep it up. Gone back to Bristol and told them the bad news so on to the next step. They need to get VW to authorise more work and I am not sure whether they will be able to. The lady I deal with Beccy is so helpful but her hands are tied by instructions from VW head office as to what they can and cannot do. I will not have an update for some time but if anyone else gets a positive resolution please do let me know. Also you think it is worth me speaking to VW at Wooburn and it so do you have a helpful name?
it's obviously the pump. can you direct them to this thread for a quick read to educate themselves ? or i suspect they're too stubborn to be told by the internet whats wrong

This may help a little, unfortunately I could only get my hands on the first page; up to 20cm drop over 3 days is considered normal with no action to be taken. Interesting info on the auto correction feature which is slightly different to my previous understanding in that if the first check + 10hrs doesn’t identify some sagging then it isn’t checked again - as opposed to being checked every 10hrs regardless.
6C06CC99-7C07-48F8-A85D-022317F09D50.jpeg

Also you think it is worth me speaking to VW at Wooburn and it so do you have a helpful name?
Just sent you a PM

Back