Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bed weight limit 6.1 300kg or 150kg

K

Kat california

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hello
I’m confused. Some websites that hire Oceans have a weight limit of 300kg. Others suggest 150kg. I have looked at the T6.1 brochure and I can’t see this information. I can see some older threads on the subject but i don’t know whether the 6.1 is different.
I am planning on placing an order and our combined weight will be a little over the 150kg . We are planning using the upper roof bed for 2 adults.
can anyone help or have any words of wisdom. Thank you.

If you can fit through the hatch you will be fine irrespective of any written limit.

I think the manual says 150kg

Hello
I’m confused. Some websites that hire Oceans have a weight limit of 300kg. Others suggest 150kg. I have looked at the T6.1 brochure and I can’t see this information. I can see some older threads on the subject but i don’t know whether the 6.1 is different.
I am planning on placing an order and our combined weight will be a little over the 150kg . We are planning using the upper roof bed for 2 adults.
can anyone help or have any words of wisdom. Thank you.
150 kgs for two adults is not particularly heavy. Not by today’s standards anyway. It’s only equal to 2 x 12 stone people.
I’m sure the “upstairs” bed will take a lot more than that.

When we bought ours vw told us 150, however they also said off the record it's quite a bit more than that but have to say that to cover themselves.
We have a combined weight of over 150 and have owned for 18 months. Never had a problem so far

Yes it will take a lot more!

We’re 190kg combined - and use the roof bed all the time. We were unofficially told this was not an issue

Do consider the difference between static weight and moving forces.

Two people “enjoying each other” create a lot more downward force than two people moving around gently.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

If your combined mass is 150kg then you can be sure nothing will give way regardless of your exertion.

For this reason there appears to be a grey area. Yes it will take significantly more mass, but you’ll need to move more carefully.

Last edited:
Do consider the difference between static weight and moving forces.

Two people “enjoying each other” create a lot more downward force than two people moving around gently.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

If your combined mass is 150kg then you can be sure nothing will give way regardless of your exertion.

For this reason there appears to be a great area. Yes it will take significantly more mass, but you’ll need to move more carefully.
Very good of Volkswagen to think ahead and take the force into account and therefore limit the weight to 150 kg at the roof bed :thumb
;)

Thanks for your replies. I called VW who looked up the manual (only available after you own a cali) and it says 150kg. However, I think this is VW being safe.

from own experience, I say that the roof bed on our T5 holds at least 200 Kg with all the desired pleasures and that space and possibly imagination sets limits on the roof bed

An SCA roof as fitted to conversions has a clearly stated load limit of150kg. However, when I owned a Hillside it took 200kg with care.
The Cali T5&6 I am sure stated it was 200kg (one of the readons I changed).. if VW on the 6.1, which is already a lower soec than the T6, can now do no better than a cheaper convesrion then why pay the extra?

An SCA roof as fitted to conversions has a clearly stated load limit of150kg. However, when I owned a Hillside it took 200kg with care.
The Cali T5&6 I am sure stated it was 200kg (one of the readons I changed).. if VW on the 6.1, which is already a lower soec than the T6, can now do no better than a cheaper convesrion then why pay the extra?
I’m sorry but what’s a lower soec?

The VW California Beach/Coast and SE/Ocean back to 2010 or longer has always stated an upper bed limit as 150kgms. Many Forum members have proven that it exceeds these limits by some margin. I have never seen a post complaining that the upper bed broke due to excess weight .
Probably the weight limit is related to the fact that when calculating the MGW of the vehicle a driver is included at 75kgms body weight, but in practice we know that is very variable

I don't think our van has had less than 150kg in the top bed in the last ten years

the manual for my T612020 say 150 kg
the manual for the t61 2022 say 200 kg.
Talked to my Cali expert at the dealer, he say nothing has chanced, same bed.

In my 6.1 ocean (Nov22) manual covering the camping parts of the van it mentions the bed weight limit as 200kg. It does not say which bed but guess the pop-top

In my 6.1 ocean (Nov22) manual covering the camping parts of the van it mentions the bed weight limit as 200kg. It does not say which bed but guess the pop-top
Yes the pop top bed.
You could have a Berlusconi Bunga Bunga party downstairs.
No bother :)

Maximum 200 kg for the top bed; heard today during a very interesting day full of explanations about the california t6 and in particular the t6.1. Turns out that the t6.1 is a nice evolution of the t6 and, as we know, is completely different in terms of electronics ;)
The differences were shown, but also where exactly things went 'wrong' with the first delivered t6.1s and also why (Volkswagen does not train the sellers and mechanics as before; now it is like: “this is the new model and that's it”). Control lights and incorrect diagnoses (in the beginning mainly software, but this should already be solved), oil fluid warnings (with the t6.1 the oil should not be higher than just in the middle between min and max, not more while with the t6 this was ok).
Of course the ‘heat immediately’ issues and what went wrong… mainly due to understandable, lack of knowledge because the system does work, but it is better to stay off it and use the heat continuously, they said there :D You can use it e.g. to create direct heat when getting up, but do not keep pushing if it cuts out after a short time. It is best to drive afterwards because then the ‘counter of the number of times pushing’ will reach zero again and you can use the function again a few times (again up to the maximum number of minutes and I thought this is 180 minutes all together). Try to go over that maximum and the system goes into safety and is disrupted. Sometimes taking a ride helps to reset but most of the time it doesn't and you have to try to reset via fuses or pull out the blue cable in the fuse box on the steering wheel. This cable is difficult to handle. And now comes an example of the knowledge of CC Amersfoort in the Netherlands: they cut away a piece of plastic so that you can access this blue cable. Because of the cover everything looks clean :thumb Then click the cable back on after a minute and you should have restarted the electronic system.
Also to manually lower the electronic-hydraulic roof, they remove a piece of plastic from the T6.1 under the piece that you have to remove, to get to the flat screw easier.
A few more facts: if you want to open the manual roof, do not mount anything on the roof because it won’t stay open. With the ocean: maximum roof load of 50 kg.
The car battery: connect from for example a jump starter the minus (black cable) to an engine mount (mass) but not at the minus pin on the battery or you will have damage (and meanwhile your Cali will no longer drive).
Also: how to get your spare wheel from under your cali and what to use.
Or about the battery and especially the household batteries (the rear two): these are charged while driving, but no longer as with the calis without start-stop because from then on the dynamo only charges a little from time to time but switches otherwise off and therefore does not charge your household batteries enough while driving. Every generation had to save more fuel to meet the emission standards, but this is a consequence of that. How to solve: the t6.1 with his nice but somewhat overly complicated control panel, has the function ‘maximum charging’. Push it and the fuel-saving shutdown system of the alternator (also the start-stop function) is disabled.
So I think it was very interesting; they gave a PowerPoint presentation and then explained everything next to several calis. We were a group of Belgian enthousiasts and the day was organised by a fbgroup. I know it is a bit of a long reaction for the max weight of the upper bed but I wanted to write this down. Many will know some of this but all I have written now was new to me and I liked getting the info and hopefully some of this is helpful to others.
Greeting
Calibusje
B69F58F4-1FB2-44AD-A594-7B008762D34B.jpeg

Last edited:
In the pop top ?

dont forget to leave the lights on so those around you can have vision & sound ! o_O:thumb:cheers
Not an issue with the new thicker fabric. VW have got you covered......

Not an issue with the new thicker fabric. VW have got you covered......
Yesterday I saw that new fabric at Camper Centrum Amersfoort in The Netherlands and I wish I had that fabric. Ours is only 10 months old so bit silly to replace but i thought about it :happy It looks and feels great!

Back