Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof conversion hydraulic >> manual

Dumè

Dumè

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
E37E8C25-B1CE-4BB8-8D13-9BC068D16416.jpeg 5147574F-B060-4CA5-9556-EC8824022508.jpeg B74793D5-D612-49FD-B20C-352BB8E4FACE.jpeg 9216AF1C-0C50-4C81-A576-BD8000B67466.jpeg B14E5769-43C3-40BA-A1D2-FCD7A9B39626.jpeg 94A2C109-C4C9-4055-BF1B-8E37E5B84857.jpeg E78C23B0-F7B4-4376-9CED-0EAE59632EA9.jpeg C881CF17-C44E-489F-8377-5E7524CD685B.jpeg 35950D3B-FB24-45EC-B4CC-7EF56C50A9C4.jpeg After the explosion of the right hydraulic cylinder I decided to convert the roof into a manual roof.
I did it by myself and used the original parts of the Beach. Costs about 1170€.
Verry satisfied.

Excellent conversion, I'm sure if you list part numbers of the essential components, many owners with ageing and reliability issue with the electro mechanical system will be infernally grateful.

Infernally??
Eternally, Shirley??

Seriously though, great idea.

I would love to see this tutorial as i think my roof hydraulic pump is in need of changing very soon

I’m preparing a tutorial of this transformation, but it will take some time to translate. My native language is flemisch.
Happy to translate for you! Been thinking about the same conversion, for reliability purposes when far away.

Just out of interest: How does this conversion cope with a roof box mounted? Does the roof stay up, when 50 kg is on top? Is it easy to get up and down with a box (or other utensils) mounted on the roof?

Just out of interest: How does this conversion cope with a roof box mounted? Does the roof stay up, when 50 kg is on top? Is it easy to get up and down with a box (or other utensils) mounted on the roof?
Have no idea. I think you better ask a beach owner with a roof box.

Have no idea. I think you better ask a beach owner with a roof box.
Not got a roof box but once tried lifting the roof with a 25kg kayak on the roof. Very heavy and gave up after about 30cm. The weight distribution of a kayak would be different (further forward) to a roof box though.

Not got a roof box but once tried lifting the roof with a 25kg kayak on the roof. Very heavy and gave up after about 30cm. The weight distribution of a kayak would be different (further forward) to a roof box though.

@owen_h … What I thought. Worth considering before you go manual. It would never work for me, I mostly have the roof box stuffed with surf gear (50kg). And I would also be in doubt if the roof would stay up - well you can sort that with a pole, but quite faffing when alone.

Excellent job.
Are the parts the same for a T5 beach and a T6.
Has there been any improvement on the T6´s or will they
not fit.

Did the control panel need re-programming ?
How long did it take you ?

3 days work because I had to search a bit how to do. I measured the parts on a beach, but I had to change positions to stretch the tent.
Normaly now, Incould do it in 1 day.
I suppose the parts are the same for a T6.
The hydraulic system on the T6 is still as bad as on the first T5

Great thread, glad someone's finally done it. I predict that there'll be a plethora of companies offering this service in a few years along with converting 2 seat bench Beaches into full furniture campers.

If anybody want to repair his hydraulic roof I can offer you these parts I don’t wanna use anymore ...
All parts are in good condition, available in Belgium.

04CDACC1-4C6F-43B9-A300-F3EDDAE14C0F.jpeg

F98288AE-2990-4BA4-A70C-60B841E38690.jpeg

8E6A6FFD-4D24-41AA-8465-E6587C43936B.jpeg

E836AF62-BCD4-41C8-BFB8-0ED69152F4A7.jpeg

5734D0BB-7353-40E9-8875-51E3624D2583.jpeg

Hi Dumé,
Yes, you can reach us by mail or PM via the user details on this forum. I think you posted the same on weetjewel, you can reach us by mail or PM there as well, via our user details.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Hi Dumé,
Yes, you can reach us by mail or PM via the user details on this forum. I think you posted the same on weetjewel, you can reach us by mail or PM there as well, via our user details.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

He can not sent a PM as he is not a VIP member .
I will PM you both so contact is made .

Okay, got it. File is coming up in one of the next days.
Thanks a lot !

So, a detailed and clear tutorial in English is available. Special thanks to Marchugo, member of the Caliboard forum for the translation Dutch to English.
Let me know your email by private message and you will receive the pdf files soon.
Grtz, Dumè

So, a detailed and clear tutorial in English is available. Special thanks to Marchugo, member of the Caliboard forum for the translation Dutch to English.
Let me know your email by private message and you will receive the pdf files soon.
Grtz, Dumè
You will need to join up for us all to private message you, I’m not sure if you can message me though, but if so I would like the pdf file please.

I’m sorry, but I don’t wanna pay 12,99 pounds to becomen VIP member. My only reason tonbe here is to contribute with some usefull tips for California owners. Maybe the moderator(s) can do something about that ...

You can obtain the installation manual by Cali.popuproof.transformation@+++++.com

I’m sorry, but I don’t wanna pay 12,99 pounds to becomen VIP member. My only reason tonbe here is to contribute with some usefull tips for California owners. Maybe the moderator(s) can do something about that ...

Psst .....people from outside the UK pay less ...as we can't use all the benefits like insurance ,....think it is only about 5£
The way i see it , becoming a VIP member is a way to show your sympathy and support to the forum . A forum does not run for free.
Being VIP and getting acces to all the downloads, this only is worth the money .

Anyway each make this out for theire own .

You can obtain the installation manual by Cali.popuproof.transformation@+++++.com
Thanks for the emailed manual. It's excellent and very detailed. I will keep it until the day comes when my roof gives up, hopefully a while yet.
Again thanks for sharing.

Back