Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof conversion hydraulic >> manual

I want to give a big thanks to Dumé who gave me the idea and all the relevant info to make the conversion from the dreaded electric roof to a manual operation.
I showered him with questions and he was always quick to reply to get me rolling.

Thank-you Dumé !

Roof conversion WIP 02.jpg

Roof conversion WIP 03.jpg

Roof conversion WIP 01.jpg

As someone who overthinks things habitually (so the roof always struck me as a bad idea for lots of reasons) I get a little bit of a guilty pleasure to see this post popping up occasionally. Yes, I’m a riot at parties (not).

So, a detailed and clear tutorial in English is available. Special thanks to Marchugo, member of the Caliboard forum for the translation Dutch to English.
Let me know your email by private message and you will receive the pdf files soon.
Grtz, Dumè
Hello Dumè, i would be happy if i can get the pdf's of how you did it? If it is possible with part numbers. Can you please mail them to me? Best regards, Leo.

So, a detailed and clear tutorial in English is available. Special thanks to Marchugo, member of the Caliboard forum for the translation Dutch to English.
Let me know your email by private message and you will receive the pdf files soon.
Grtz, Dumè

Dear Dume,

We're having hydraulic reliability issues too (2009 T5 Cali) I would be grateful if you could PM me your English translation of your 'how to' guide' to convert hydraulic to manual operation Very many thanks in anticipation... mike.frost315@+++++.com

I received about 5 requests for the tutorial today. Please wait for some days, I am still on holidays without good internet connection. I will send it ASAP.
+ Mike. Send me a mail with the request so I have you email extension.

@Dumè , if you are ok sharing your replacement guidings you can send it to the admins or me , we then can put it in the downloadsection . It’s up to you , noting wrong keeping the details to yourself .
In the mean time enjoy your vacation ;)

I want to give a big thanks to Dumé who gave me the idea and all the relevant info to make the conversion from the dreaded electric roof to a manual operation.
I showered him with questions and he was always quick to reply to get me rolling.

Thank-you Dumé !
Hi, my name is Danilo from Turin-Italy. I'm the owner of a VW T5 Caki 2005. My roof workwell at this moment but I don't like it.Please can you give the information I needed to change the action from hydraulic to manual?. My e-mail vwt4@+++++++.it. Thanks in advance. Danilo.

Hi.
Reading this with great interest, as my Cali has a failed hydraulic pump which is going to cost £thousands to put right.
Never liked it, always felt it could go wrong and now it has!
Is the pdf file for the conversion to Beach gas struts still available please?
If so, I am thinking the work is beyond my capability, but maybe I can find someone in the trade who can carry it out.
Many thanks, Tim.

Hi.
Reading this with great interest, as my Cali has a failed hydraulic pump which is going to cost £thousands to put right.
Never liked it, always felt it could go wrong and now it has!
Is the pdf file for the conversion to Beach gas struts still available please?
If so, I am thinking the work is beyond my capability, but maybe I can find someone in the trade who can carry it out.
Many thanks, Tim.
See here Post 38 by @Smalls74

Hello Dumé!
Is de handleiding die je maakte nog beschikbaar?
Is the manual you made still available?
If yes, could you email it to emielfurniere at +++++ dot com?
If anyone else has it and could send it I would be most grateful :)
Dank!

Hello Dumé

Great work!
I am interested in receiving the manual you made. Is it still available?
Anyone else that could help me out with this?
emielfurniere 'at' +++++ 'dot' com
Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

Just got back from our holiday, with our hydraulic roof failing for the third time yesterday.
Now I've had enough of it and I will convert it to manual.

Is there a way to get to Dumé's manual? I tried emailing but it seems the account has been closed.

I would appreciate your help!

Thank you, Jaka

Try Kernow Transporters, they will be able to help.
Hi!

Thanks for the message!
Actually, I am only looking for the pdf manual, not help with the conversion.

I will convert the roof by myself, that is not a problem.

Thanks, Jaka

Thanks for the emailed manual. It's excellent and very detailed. I will keep it until the day comes when my roof gives up, hopefully a while yet.
Again thanks for sharing.

Hi there ArunAlec,

Would you be so kind to share this manual with me as well?
I tried contacting Dumè, but the account seems to be closed.

Thank you, Jaka

ArunAlec,

thank you so much for the help!
I will record my process to be able to help others as well, who encounter the same issue.

And of course, as you said, a huge shout out to Dumè for his effort!

Best, Jaka

@ArunAlec , please can you delete the pdf files in the message about the roof transformation ? When I did send you the files I insisted NOT SHARING this online on the internet. So I would be pleased if you respect that.

@ArunAlec , please can you delete the pdf files in the message about the roof transformation ? When I did send you the files I insisted NOT SHARING this online on the internet. So I would be pleased if you respect that.
Apologies, just trying to help - deleted.

Stop copying my homework! .

For me the forum is great way of sharing info.

…anyway
There is a copyright on these documents. I have my reasons why not sharing this online. I did share this tutorial more than 250 times by mail all over the world, untill professionals mis used it.

View attachment 27323 View attachment 27324 View attachment 27325 View attachment 27326 View attachment 27327 View attachment 27328 View attachment 27329 View attachment 27330 View attachment 27331 After the explosion of the right hydraulic cylinder I decided to convert the roof into a manual roof.
I did it by myself and used the original parts of the Beach. Costs about 1170€.
Verry satisfied.
After the explosion of my Left hand cylinder that’s what I should have done but I took it to the one main dealer who did that kind of work …. Repeatedly ignored my description of the fault charged £750 for a misdiagnosis then replaced everything finally locating the exploded ram right at the end. Charged me £3800 and made an absolute mess of the interior and a leaking roof. Grease footprints all over the floor hand prints everywhere and water stains above windscreen. Only cleaned interior after I complained absolute nightmare!!!!! Offered me free service and £4OO off diagnostic charge. I declined the free service and will never ever go back to Dartmouth Group One !!!!!

Hi guys!

Dumé, I am so sorry for this, it was my fault and my mistake to ask ArunAlec to share the manual with me in the first place!
Apologies to ArunAlec as well for getting you in this situation!

Dumé, initially, I tried contacting you via the email you listed in the previous posts, however, I got a reply from the Google server, that the account does not exist anymore. This is why I turned to other forum members to try to get the manual I need. I assure you, it is for my personal use, to help me convert my broken roof.

Anyways, I have it, I read it and now, I first want to express my huge congrats to you for putting it together.

Second I am trying to get all of the parts listed, so that I can convert my broken roof.
If anyone is interested, I can post here the process and the results of my conversion.

P.S. Dumé, I know first hand that there are other forum members interested in your manual as well.
Of course, I will only share it forward with your permission, I have caused anough trouble already.

Apologies once again and all the best,
Jaka

Hi Dumé
I am in the same situation as Jaka and the manual you made would be of great use to me to do the conversion.
I see you are also Belgian based? Could I perhaps come and have a look at your conversion in real life?
If you feel like you are still wanting to share the guidebook for a DIY conversion, I'd be delighted!
emielfurniere@+++++.com (google mail)
I'll keep it to myself ;)
Thanks in advance!

Back