Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
As i was + my favorit Cali dealer , Campercentrum Nederland in Amersfoort , yesterday there was a T5 for sale (one of many) on display with the roof up and i imidiatly noticed something strange ....do you see it?
View attachment 31517

Yes a T5 with a T6 canvas ....so this is one been done a roof repair and as mine is on theire list (normally pretty soon my turn) i went to investigate as i'm still not sure if i will proceed the full repair or maybe just only the roof repaint/taped edges/new canvas and no spoiler cover
View attachment 31518
It's the cover-up front spoiler....
Notice the black taping ? Do any of you have this done in the UK
EDIT : now got me thinking that black tape could be theire on mine also but transparant...need to check when the roof goes up next time

View attachment 31519

View attachment 31520
Here you see some kit that's a bit messy but that's all out of normal sight
View attachment 31521

Looks to me beeing done a good job , one not technical or not intrested in cars probally never notice anything special but guess for us Cali freaks we see the details
View attachment 31522

View attachment 31523

View attachment 31524
The back is also very clean kitted imo.
View attachment 31525
Seeing this it looks i could be happy if it was mine...any thoughts?
It looks like a strip of black vinyl glued on.
So they have added that after doing a roof repair hoping the corrosion won´t
re-appear, is that correct.
I had my roof corrosion tended to about 8yrs ago and a small spot is bubbling through
again now.
I can´t be bothered with VW doing it again so i´ll sort it myself.

Hotel California.
I have just had a T6 canvas fitted to my 2012.
Not had a proper look yet. First observation, it is a lot lighter inside. Great for in the day extra light in the main area when the roof is up, but not for sleeping...
Not sure the material is as nice. It feels cheaper and tougher than the original canvas.

Would you like any pictures...?

I will try and investigate the canvas some more this weekend.

Hotel California.
I have just had a T6 canvas fitted to my 2012.
Not had a proper look yet. First observation, it is a lot lighter inside. Great for in the day extra light in the main area when the roof is up, but not for sleeping...
Not sure the material is as nice. It feels cheaper and tougher than the original canvas.

Would you like any pictures...?

I will try and investigate the canvas some more this weekend.

The canvas is not an issue , ok it's letting more light in but it suppose to be better waterproof .
It's the spoiler i don't want ...covering up a corroded part , but they seem to talk about cutting the corroded part out first and then put the cover on.

The canvas is not an issue , ok it's letting more light in but it suppose to be better waterproof .
It's the spoiler i don't want ...covering up a corroded part , but they seem to talk about cutting the corroded part out first and then put the cover on.

I don’t know what they have done or how.

Getting information out of VW is tricky at best and to be honest I’m not sure they know for certain how the fix has been fixed since they sub-contracted the work out.

Roof corrosion sorted by third party. Roof canvas replaced this week after a battle with VWCS.
On a positive. Roof shows no signs of the corrosion it had, the canvas has been replaced and VWCS have also given me £200 to spend in the commercial network as a good will gesture.

This entire saga has been a headache. But Volkswagen have finally take steps to make amends.
Finally it’s over and I can return to enjoying my vehicle again.

New front panel from fix lifting off after a few months!

The 'corrosion fix' was completed on our T5 California about six months ago, it took them two attempts. But on my Easter trip to Scotland i noticed a whistling noise from the drivers side front roof that got progressively louder as the trip went on. On inspection the new covering panel on the from has just lifted off at one side and is now almost flapping. It doesn't look like the glue and seal process used is designed to last. I haven't taken it back to VW yet but has anyone else had this issue? Apologies if this is identified and discussed in this chain but I haven't had the time to wade through the 189 pages on this thread yet.

It’s time VW had some Cali specific centres dotted around the country that really have a full understanding of the vehicles and the expectations of customers who buy them.
The California should not be sold through the Commercial dealer network IMO...!!!
Just to add....Agree 100%.

The 'corrosion fix' was completed on our T5 California about six months ago, it took them two attempts. But on my Easter trip to Scotland i noticed a whistling noise from the drivers side front roof that got progressively louder as the trip went on. On inspection the new covering panel on the from has just lifted off at one side and is now almost flapping. It doesn't look like the glue and seal process used is designed to last. I haven't taken it back to VW yet but has anyone else had this issue? Apologies if this is identified and discussed in this chain but I haven't had the time to wade through the 189 pages on this thread yet.
Someone in Sweden has had the same problem, front panel lifting off after fix

Last edited:

See Post 22

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-in-scandinavia.13744/page-2

Why do VW outsource this repair? It would be much better for VW to set up an in house one national centre of excellence which would undertake all roof repairs. I love my Ocean but despair of VW as a company which seems to forget who pays their salaries.

Why do VW outsource this repair? It would be much better for VW to set up an in house one national centre of excellence which would undertake all roof repairs. I love my Ocean but despair of VW as a company which seems to forget who pays their salaries.

You'd certainly think that would give them more quality control over the fix. Its surely false economy this way as they'll just end up losing more money if this has to be re-done several times and they get buckets of bad PR. Personally, with mine I can't see how gluing it again the same way will last and maintain a seal. I'm deeply suspicious of this solution now. Everyone should look out for that signature whistling and bad aerodynamics as it starts to work loose.

You'd certainly think that would give them more quality control over the fix. Its surely false economy this way as they'll just end up losing more money if this has to be re-done several times and they get buckets of bad PR. Personally, with mine I can't see how gluing it again the same way will last and maintain a seal. I'm deeply suspicious of this solution now. Everyone should look out for that signature whistling and bad aerodynamics as it starts to work loose.
If VW have outsourced the repair they may have also outsourced responsibity for the quality of the repair, so any remedial work would be the repairers problem.

Well, much to my surprise my roof is fine, I just had it checked before end of Warranty. I am sure it will happen at some point but for now I'l be happy that's its ok. Hopefully removing the seal to check won't start the problem.

They are looking at the rear tailgate handle which lost all its paint around the edges, so pretty minor.

Hi All,

Somewhat disappointed to be adding to this thread again. Just spring cleaning our Cali this weekend and noticed that the seam connecting the front panel to the body work has separated along the majority of the panel. This is the edge of the front panel that faces the elevating roof.

Whatever bonding agent used has failed. Our Cali Front panel was repaired at the Poole body-shop about two years ago.

Anybody else seen and reported an issue with their Front panel repair ? :headbang

Our Cali is booked in September to have the main roof corrosion fixed so we will be asking VW to accept the defect in their repair and have another go !

Hi All,

Somewhat disappointed to be adding to this thread again. Just spring cleaning our Cali this weekend and noticed that the seam connecting the front panel to the body work has separated along the majority of the panel. This is the edge of the front panel that faces the elevating roof.

Whatever bonding agent used has failed. Our Cali Front panel was repaired at the Poole body-shop about two years ago.

Anybody else seen and reported an issue with their Front panel repair ? :headbang

Our Cali is booked in September to have the main roof corrosion fixed so we will be asking VW to accept the defect in their repair and have another go !
See posts on previous page, Post 3776 and thereafter.

Did they break my roof?

We have just had our corrosion repair done after 2 years on the waiting list. The first time we tried to use the roof we got an error message and had to start the engine. The second time the roof wouldn't come down! Slight issue given we were at a ski resort in the Pyranees and faced the prospect of a long driver at 60km/hr. A tip from a breakdown guy who happened to be at the dealer meant that the motor engaged and we could drive at normal speeds.

We have just been told that the wiring loom needs replacing and have been quoted £607 (£200 more than described on another post). VW say it is nothing to do with them.

Don't know if anyone else has had this same issue linked to the VW repair?

Well we are now 5 years old and after diligently checking roof every service we now have some slight roof issues, on the sides.....been logged with VW. Thanks SMG Cowfold for your patience finding it.

Just wanted to share with those outside of Warranty.

My 2008 Cali has had roof corrosion for a while now and finally got round to getting it done, as well as a good general paint work clean up. My awning rail also had corrosion underside at the back, but managed to get access to the last 10cm to have it repaired with out having to remove the whole rail.

KGB Car Body repairs in WInslow near Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire is doing the work. He has Uploaded pictures on his facebook page, before during the work hopefully finished over the weekend.

WIll fit a new roof rubber seal as well

https://www.facebook.com/KGBValetin...957485495456/1778957258828812/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/KGBValetingandBodyRepairs/

Just wanted to share with those outside of Warranty.

My 2008 Cali has had roof corrosion for a while now and finally got round to getting it done, as well as a good general paint work clean up. My awning rail also had corrosion underside at the back, but managed to get access to the last 10cm to have it repaired with out having to remove the whole rail.

KGB Car Body repairs in WInslow near Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire is doing the work. He has Uploaded pictures on his facebook page, before during the work hopefully finished over the weekend.

WIll fit a new roof rubber seal as well

https://www.facebook.com/KGBValetin...957485495456/1778957258828812/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/KGBValetingandBodyRepairs/
Probably a better job than a VW bodyshop and the cost probably worth it rather than the hassle many owners seem to have suffered.

So as my van is back at the bodyshop for round 3 of roof corrosion. I fought long and hard for another Beach as a courtesy vehicle whilst the work is carried out.
The bodyshop has agreed to pay for hire of this. I hope they have mine for 8 weeks again. Will whack a load of miles on this vehicle instead of mine :D

99C61276-0FB0-4A47-B132-EB489CD114EF.jpeg 0B323470-D9AC-4ECC-A13A-A9790B1FB018.jpeg

Hi - I have recently purchased a VW Cali SE 2010 model. Upon reading these posts and having a close look, I have spotted some very minor bubbling on the rear of the roof. I showed the so called warranty expert at JCB in Brighton in order to get it logged, and he said it wasn't through corrosion, was likely to be caused by chips (yeah that high up), and WASNT covered. I suspect a complete load of BS was being cast, and I feel annoyed that they would blatantly lie to me. Am I right that it should be under the 12 year bodywork warranty. I am going to try logging with SMG Cowfold and see how we get on. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Hi - I have recently purchased a VW Cali SE 2010 model. Upon reading these posts and having a close look, I have spotted some very minor bubbling on the rear of the roof. I showed the so called warranty expert at JCB in Brighton in order to get it logged, and he said it wasn't through corrosion, was likely to be caused by chips (yeah that high up), and WASNT covered. I suspect a complete load of BS was being cast, and I feel annoyed that they would blatantly lie to me. Am I right that it should be under the 12 year bodywork warranty. I am going to try logging with SMG Cowfold and see how we get on. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
If it's the good old corrosion that we all expect to get, then it's not covered by the 12 year warranty but (for T5s) a 6 year cover that VW gave specifically for the T5 roof. It doesn't inspire confidence in JCB if they are ignorant of the issue.

Did you pull away the rubber seal ? It all starts under there you know .....

Havent pulled away the seal, but I expect to see corrosion down there. I have emailed SMG at Cowfold to see what they have to say. If this isnt going to be covered under warranty. Then the next best question has to be what is the best way to fix this. Thinking seal removal, rubbing down and re-paint of effected area. Fitting some form of plastic barrier, then refitting seal. Failing that black mastic on seal to stop water ingress?? Anyone have any other ideas that have proven to work?

Back