Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof topper for MY 2019?

MartG

MartG

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone with the 'new' MY19 Ocean roof bellows (opening front panel), has bought, or is using, either internal or external roof topper which 'works'?

I'm wondering if the windows are in the same position as previous years, to line up, bellows dimensions are same and whether access to the opening panel is achievable / useful?

I'm interested in either the internal Brandrup isotop (new version becoming available / beach version?) or something like the Rainbow screens / new club Comfortz topper....

Martin

Hi Martin,

I've recently had the bellows replaced on my Ocean to the new roof bellows with opening front panel. I've had a rainbow screen pop top made for it and they request the measurements for your pop top as the window can be in slightly different positions due to the bellows being hand fitted at factory I believe. I did speak to them about options for the opening front panel but they hadn't come up with any solutions for this as putting in a window that size in the pop top cover would make it to weak and sag.

Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Hi, we got a topper(Calicap ll) from Calicap.de.
29AF8144-D0D8-4ADF-93E1-B7BAA14C352A.jpeg
Packs away with the chairs. Various options on colour and windows. This was a trip away for fitting practice.

Hi, we got a topper(Calicap ll) from Calicap.de.
View attachment 44303
Packs away with the chairs. Various options on colour and windows. This was a trip away for fitting practice.
Thanks John,
Have you used it in Scottish windy weather yet? I'm interested if it's quiet (both from wind flapping and also deadening traffic / site noises)? Also, do the windows have black-outs or is it still reasonably dark inside with it on? Nairn is a sunny place!
It looks very well made... easy enough to put on & off?
Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,
Unfortunately (or not maybe) have still to experience any wind with it so far. The topper was quite a snug fit. No blackout (though when delivered the windows where protected with the material removed from their installation).
The sides can be rolled up also (ladder required though).
The photo was from our stay at the Foyers campsite by the side of Loch Ness this March.

Hi Martin,
Just thought, the cut outs may well fit inside the bellows windows. Will give it a try this afternoon.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone with the 'new' MY19 Ocean roof bellows (opening front panel), has bought, or is using, either internal or external roof topper which 'works'?

I'm wondering if the windows are in the same position as previous years, to line up, bellows dimensions are same and whether access to the opening panel is achievable / useful?

I'm interested in either the internal Brandrup isotop (new version becoming available / beach version?) or something like the Rainbow screens / new club Comfortz topper....

Martin
If the weather is good enough to open the new whole front of the bellows, why would you want the cover on?

If the weather is good enough to open the new whole front of the bellows, why would you want the cover on?
Hi Elly, We want the cover on to mainly keep noise down and the light out at night, whether it's hot or cold. In the morning, we could then open up the front if the topper allowed, rather than take it completely off.
Chances are, we will be driving each day so would remove the covers anyway, but would be nice to have the ability to look out at wake up through a window, and also to allow light & ventilation if kept on while parked up.
Mainly using it in Scotland, so it will be windy & cold!

Hi Elly, We want the cover on to mainly keep noise down and the light out at night, whether it's hot or cold. In the morning, we could then open up the front if the topper allowed, rather than take it completely off.
Chances are, we will be driving each day so would remove the covers anyway, but would be nice to have the ability to look out at wake up through a window, and also to allow light & ventilation if kept on while parked up.
Mainly using it in Scotland, so it will be windy & cold!
Can see where you’re coming from, MartG. Do you use a Calitopper type or a wrap around. I think the Calitopper type could easily incorporate a zip in the front, but it would need to be very strong.

Do you use a Calitopper type or a wrap around. I think the Calitopper type could easily incorporate a zip in the front, but it would need to be very strong.
We are expecting delivery of our Ocean later this month and so have no experience of campervan life yet, just trying to prepare!
I have looked through the many threads here at pros & cons of each type, The internal type is definitely convenient, but I doubt if it would be as quiet as the insulated wrap around external ones. I'm also concerned at the thinner material Calitopper external types being noisy in the wind, the Bus & Beyond video has more or less sold us on the Rainbow wrap around cover. The only 'issue' we could see, with the new 2019 bellows, was the inability to open up the front of the Rainbow cover. I doubt if the cover would support itself if it did open.
JohnF's Calicap II above, looks very flexible and well made, but looks more hassle for on/off each day...Great if we were stopped for a few days with the roof up.

Martin

Surely if you are opening up the whole front of your roof then the weather is nice. If the weather is good you don't need a topper or a wrap on the roof

Hi MartG. We have had our Cali Ocean since January (before that a Hiace high/hardtop) so not much experience with the pop top. We have the caltopper type. The main thing for us is storage space, light and being able to get it on myself if I’m camping on my own (5’7” female over 60).

Our calitopper has been used 3 times (twice in a strong breeze and rain). It has 3 clear semi circle clear windows in line with the pop top ones, so it’s light inside with the bed up. It folds very small and goes in the compartment with the chairs. I have found it pretty easy to fit/unfit on my own with no help (don’t think the wrap would be the same. It ventilates very well in the gap between the topper and canvas, but that gap also seems to insulate too.

We do a lot of out and about and staying in some places where I wouldn’t leave the top up (festivals and pub stopovers) but want it up and not getting wet when we’re in it (we sleep up there). Also if you leave the van with the top up and safelock so the full alarm system’s working, the alarm can activate. So for us putting on & off easily and quickly is important.

I think if the wind were so bad to cause that much noise we couldn’t sleep I’d have the top down anyway and sleep downstairs.

I too watched the bus and beyond guys’ video and have spoken with others who’ve said that they’ve never had too much noise to sleep. A consideration too for B&B, I think, is that they have a big dog that sleeps on the bench seat, so not much room if they sleep downstairs. Our dog sleeps on the passenger seat facing front, so okay for us if we have to sleep downstairs if the wind got up.

The cons for us with a wrap type is it would be harder to fit/unfit for one person, takes more storage space and has no windows. Another thing is that as it goes under the bellows’ struts, and if it was raining you’d have to close with them wet or try and dry them. Pros though would be better insulation against noise maybe and a silver side that would turn out to the sun/snow. With the silver painted onto the fabric it may be prone to cracking/flaking over time, especially if you folded it.

At Easter break it was so hot it was just lovely to have no pop top cover on at all (after the first night). The sense of light, space and airyness was amazing. We had the window covers open on the bellow’s windows, so a lovely breeze wafting through. Yep, the sound insulation wasn’t there, but we didn’t feel hemmed in either. In the morning we unzipped the whole front and I watched the campsite wake up from in bed. It was great.

I’ve never used the internal insulation and can’t see that it would suit me, I’d have to see it in action before deciding, but there’s not one fully front opening yet anyway. If you only have that and nothing external, in the rain the bellows would still have to go down wet.

Hope this helps in some way.

Last edited:
Surely if you are opening up the whole front of your roof then the weather is nice. If the weather is good you don't need a topper or a wrap on the roof
Agreed, but our need is for blocking sound & light, not cold - we're light sleepers and have had many a bad night in tents on campsites. Maybe eye mask & ear plugs are an answer but not comfy!

Martin

Last edited:
Hi MartG. We have had our Cali Ocean since January (before that a Hiace high/hardtop) so not much experience with the pop top. We have the caltopper type. The main thing for us is storage space, light and being able to get it on myself if I’m camping on my own (5’7” female over 60).

Our calitopper has been used 3 times (twice in a strong breeze and rain). It has 3 clear semi circle clear windows in line with the pop top ones, so it’s light inside with the bed up. It folds very small and goes in the compartment with the chairs. I have found it pretty easy to fit/unfit on my own with no help (don’t think the wrap would be the same. It ventilates very well in the gap between the topper and canvas, but that gap also seems to insulate too.

We do a lot of out and about and staying in some places where I wouldn’t leave the top up (festivals and pub stopovers) but want it up and not getting wet when we’re in it (we sleep up there). Also if you leave the van with the top up and safelock so the full alarm system’s working, the alarm can activate.

I think if the wind were so bad to cause that much noise we couldn’t sleep I’d have the top down anyway and sleep downstairs.

I too watched the bus and beyond guys’ video and have spoken with others who’ve said that they’ve never had too much noise to sleep. A consideration too for B&B, I think, is that they have a big dog that sleeps on the bench seat, so not much room if they sleep downstairs. Our dog sleeps on the passenger seat facing front, so okay for us if we have to sleep downstairs.
The cons for us with a wrap type is it would be harder to fit/unfit for one person, takes more storage space and has no windows. Another thing is that as it goes under the bellows’ strutsK and it was raining you’d have to close with them wet or try and dry them. Pros though would be better insulation against noise, maybe, and a silver side that would turn out to the sun/snow.

At Easter break it was so hot it was just lovely to have no pop top cover on at all (after the first night). The sense of light, space and airyness was amazing. We had the window covers open on the bellow’s windows, so a lovely breeze wafting through. Yep, the sound insulation wasn’t there, but we didn’t feel hemmed in either. In the morning we unzipped the whole front and I watched the campsite wake up from in bed. It was great.

Hope this helps in some way. I’ve never used the internal insulation and can’t see that it would suit me, I’d have to see it in action before deciding, but there’s not one fully front opening yet anyway.
Hi Elly,

Many thanks for the info... very helpful.

I like the fact that the calitopper does pack away small, that is our main concern with the wrap type, but we should have the space.
Good point about the arms being covered too.

I think we'll wait and try once here, before making any decisions...

Thanks all for your help

Martin

Last edited:
Agreed, but our need is for blocking sound & light, not cold - we're light sleepers and have had many a bad night in tents on campsites. Maybe eye mask & ear plugs are an answer but not comfy!

Martin
See where you’re coming from. I could sleep in a crack in the road on the M1 :D.

I really like listening to waves, wind, rain, (constant sounds) etc, but if someone whispered 50' away, I'd be up wondering who was there! Maybe campsites are not for us!

The new bellows are a very tight fit at the front with the roof down, any internal topper would now need to be very thin to fit. I don't think the external ones keep out any noise but can make it slightly darker. The main advantage is that they keep the bellows dry. We spent Friday night at the foot of Ben Nevis, occasional squally winds with rain and our external topper, from the club shop, kept the bellows completely dry. Not much fun to remove next morning though as it was covered in ice and I wished I had some waterproof gloves to keep my hands a bit warmer.

The new bellows are a very tight fit at the front with the roof down, any internal topper would now need to be very thin to fit. I don't think the external ones keep out any noise but can make it slightly darker. The main advantage is that they keep the bellows dry. We spent Friday night at the foot of Ben Nevis, occasional squally winds with rain and our external topper, from the club shop, kept the bellows completely dry. Not much fun to remove next morning though as it was covered in ice and I wished I had some waterproof gloves to keep my hands a bit warmer.
That's a great test! Good Scottish summer weather...
I'd rather the external topper was wet than the bellows, and it must have helped with condensation too, in the cold.
No noisy flapping from the fabric?

Cheers
Martin

It was windy enough to rock the van at times so there was some noise, but I don't think the topper flaps much even though we have an awning so the topper can only be fixed front and back on the drivers side. Must admit we don't use ours a lot but when the weather is bad it's a godsend.

I really like listening to waves, wind, rain, (constant sounds) etc, but if someone whispered 50' away, I'd be up wondering who was there! Maybe campsites are not for us!
If you’re “wild” camping (as some call not on a campsite) you’ll want to hear if anyone’s hanging round your van at night, Mart.

Back