Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal or external pop top roof topper / wrap?

G

GeorgeandAnne

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Having never used a roof topper wrap thingamy I’m a bit at a loss how to choose the best solution, and could do with knowing the difference. It’s for my 10 year old to sleep in, and for those times when we want to all gather with the roof up and feel snug in the lower part.

Which is easiest to take down?

Is the external one best, to avoid bellows damage? (Is 68 beach so will still cost a lot to repair, I’d have thought).

Is the internal one best?

Sometimes George won’t be with me, so any insights into handling on your own as a short middle aged woman would be great.

Apologies if this has been covered. It might be my newness to Tapatalk but I can’t find the life of me find a comparison thread. (It’s just possible that no one is sad enough to grapple with this question).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having never used a roof topper wrap thingamy I’m a bit at a loss how to choose the best solution, and could do with knowing the difference. It’s for my 10 year old to sleep in, and for those times when we want to all gather with the roof up and feel snug in the lower part.

Which is easiest to take down?

Is the external one best, to avoid bellows damage? (Is 68 beach so will still cost a lot to repair, I’d have thought).

Is the internal one best?

Sometimes George won’t be with me, so any insights into handling on your own as a short middle aged woman would be great.

Apologies if this has been covered. It might be my newness to Tapatalk but I can’t find the life of me find a comparison thread. (It’s just possible that no one is sad enough to grapple with this question).

Can you put the roof up at home to dry out the bellows canvas?
If No - External Topper.
If Yes - Internal Topper.

But ask the question - Do you need a Topper?
If you are only camping in Summer it's debatable.

I have both.
The External offers protection of the bellow material completely but if it's windy you will hear it flapping. Also in heavy rain the stitched hem filled with water. Now thats not as drastic as is sounds because it comes out through the stitching just as easy when packing away.
It's slightly awkward to fit on your own but not impossible. Packing away is also better done with more than one person.

The internal 'iso-top' definitely feels more the more cozy option and you won't hear it flap in the wind but no protection of the bellows. Then again....should the bellows need protection? not really. But you do hear stories where some people say it hardly rained and they got wet on the inside while others say the rain needs to come sideways at 40mph.
It also doesn't need to be packed away of course. Just a little more care required when lowering the roof. It's also better as an insulator from heat and light than the external one but that goes without saying really.
Personally.....
Because I try to pick my camping to finer weather yet still expect rain, I went with the external topper initially. I'd still put this on if the weather is wet and not too windy.
Later I added the Iso-top when I'd got over the previous outlay cost.

Last edited:
I went for the Rainbow external topper. Whilst they are good at what they do, they are pricey, bulky and we need the ebay folding ladders to fit. Once you are comfortable with doing that, its a five minute job (the tapes get tangled in the roof struts, so its a knack thats aquired), so for me the following are the dis/benefits;

Benefits : They work well (heat/cold and wet) also noise to some degree.Do keep belows dry if you can't raise roof when home.
Disbenefits: Need ladders and practise, price, storeage both in van and after, drying them needs space.

I also found Rainbow customer service lacking. Hope that helps?

Brandrup internal are good.
Especially for short middle aged women :)

I’m with @WelshGas and would ask do you really need one? Especially if you have the newer style canvas on T6

Last edited:
I've used the brandrup internal isotop for about 10 years (it's version 1 - they're now up to version 5?). Good for keeping out driving rain and draughts. I used an external top for about 12 months and found it good for rain and wind but a bother to put up and take down and store when on the move. In fact a total paqin. The brandrup thing has been a godsend in these three latter respects. It's been much patched, had the suspensory mechanism modified numerous times and required a good proportion of the hook and eye velcro replaced attaching the base to the van. All easy, quick and dirt cheap jobs.

I think it was about £300 to buy direct and it's probably double that today. But I think it's worth it.

I’ve been using a California for 10 years.
I’ve never need a topper of any sorts. Slept in all conditions all through the year, including a couple of ski trips.

Do you really want an unnecessary item to lug around and something else to unpack and pack away wet and the hassle of storing…?

:thumb

We have the Westfalia internal insulation for our T4 and love it. Uses Loxx/Tenax locks instead of sticky back velcro. Much easier to put up and no velcro strips coming undone.

Can you put the roof up at home to dry out the bellows canvas?
If No - External Topper.
If Yes - Internal Topper.

But ask the question - Do you need a Topper?
If you are only camping in Summer it's debatable.
Agree totally.
It depends climate where you live and when away.
We have an external which is really good in heavy rain but in winter in Scotland often the rain has strong wind with it and as we are only 2, the roof often just stays down.
The external topper is really good but a pain when driving every day from site or off grid.
Maybe we should think of an isotop.

Agree totally.
We have an external which is really good in heavy rain but in winter in Scotland often the rain has strong wind with it and as we are only 2, the roof often just stays down.
The external topper is really good but a pain when driving every day from site or off grid.
But if it's really windy would you still be putting the top down?

Fast fwd to 12mins or so, in Will's video here. Even the Isotop has it's limits.

Fast fwd to 12mins or so, in Will's video here. Even the Isotop has it's limits.
Yes the forecasts for Scotland have there limitations, especially in mountain areas with local affects, wind and rain thats not forecast ! Be cautious !
We get that often, forecast says no rain but we have rain !

We were on that camp site on the same night as Will (2-tone in the background at 1.48 minutes). It was undoubtedly the worst weather we’d experienced in the Cali with rain and strong wind all night long. We too had water penetrating the canvas on one side of the pop top. We’d failed to fit our Pucer screen before turning in for the night but having had a couple of very wet nights since with it fitted, I think it would have stopped the rain getting blown through the canvas. Lesson learned.
Quite easy to fit single handedly, good insulation and waterproofing and creates a darker environment for sleeping. Packs down quite small.

Last edited:
Agree totally.

I used Iso-top for T5.1 for 6 years and it's great (a must) either summer or winter. However I found Iso-top for T6.1(open front) is too thick so the front opening should be removed when the roof lowered. Thats no-no for me. Should be okay for T6 though.

We were on that camp site on the same night as Will (2-tone in the background at 1.48 minutes). It was undoubtedly the worst weather we’d experienced in the Cali with rain and strong wind all night long. We too had water penetrating the canvas on one side of the pop top. We’d failed to fit our Pucer screen before turning in for the night but having had a couple of very wet nights since with it fitted, I think it would have stopped the rain getting blown through the canvas. Lesson learned.
Quite easy to fit single handedly, good insulation and waterproofing and creates a darker environment for sleeping. Packs down quite small.
So no isotop in then ? Yes, never had a leak with the comfort cali screen, its just the size and hassle fitting it.

So no isotop in then ? Yes, never had a leak with the comfort cali screen, its just the size and hassle fitting it.
No isotop @Phillip T
We don’t use the Pucer screen routinely, but having learned a lesson, we’d definitely fit it when it’s a wet and windy forecast. After some practice I reckon I can now fit it single handedly in a couple of minutes.

No isotop @Phillip T
We don’t use the Pucer screen routinely, but having learned a lesson, we’d definitely fit it when it’s a wet and windy forecast. After some practice I reckon I can now fit it single handedly in a couple of minutes.
I'd be tempted with the Pucer, but despite a good few emails with Darren, there is still confusion over the size differences between the manual and electric roof. A real shame. The only option was for me to send in the measurements, which I am sure would lead to disappointment (When I got it wrong!)
I'd have thought that he would have have stock items of both sizes (One size for Ocean and another for Beach / Coast) Sadly not. I am just not willing to risk measuring it myself and getting it wrong.

I'd be tempted with the Pucer, but despite a good few emails with Darren, there is still confusion over the size differences between the manual and electric roof. A real shame. The only option was for me to send in the measurements, which I am sure would lead to disappointment (When I got it wrong!)
I'd have thought that he would have have stock items of both sizes (One size for Ocean and another for Beach / Coast) Sadly not. I am just not willing to risk measuring it myself and getting it wrong.
Have you got an Ocean @Stu@rt ?
If so, maybe you could ask Darren to supply the same version that he supplied me with. Mine fits perfectly.

Have you got an Ocean @Stu@rt ?
If so, maybe you could ask Darren to supply the same version that he supplied me with. Mine fits perfectly.
Hi GG. Thank you, but a Coast owner here, so just the manual roof. @Ferryman was kind enough to show just how the Ocean pucer fitted on a manual roof in this post here

Leaves a wedged shape tapered gap, which I figured wasn't ideal for something professionally made.
Looks like the manual roof is a little higher at the rear.

Hi GG. Thank you, but a Coast owner here, so just the manual roof. @Ferryman was kind enough to show just how the Ocean pucer fitted on a manual roof in this post here

Leaves a wedged shape tapered gap, which I figured wasn't ideal for something professionally made.
Looks like the manual roof is a little higher at the rear.
Ah!
Surprised Darren doesn’t go measure one and get this sorted? Must be loads of Coast customers out there.

Thank you everyone for your answers. Was useful to see an isotope in action. I think we will see about the diesel heating first, and worry about the topper later. Unless one comes up in the classifieds on here.

Back