Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal or external pop top roof topper / wrap?

We have a rainbow topper.

We have only fitted it with 2 people.

I stand inside van on the front seats and open zip window at front. I hold the large part of the topper in place. Husband feeds the sides through the struts. Once it’s tight we don’t hear the wind. It dries quickly the next morning if it’s sunny. We have used in summer (shiny side out) and winter (coloured side out). Takes up a bit of space though when in its bag.

Having never used a roof topper wrap thingamy I’m a bit at a loss how to choose the best solution, and could do with knowing the difference. It’s for my 10 year old to sleep in, and for those times when we want to all gather with the roof up and feel snug in the lower part.

Which is easiest to take down?

Is the external one best, to avoid bellows damage? (Is 68 beach so will still cost a lot to repair, I’d have thought).

Is the internal one best?

Sometimes George won’t be with me, so any insights into handling on your own as a short middle aged woman would be great.

Apologies if this has been covered. It might be my newness to Tapatalk but I can’t find the life of me find a comparison thread. (It’s just possible that no one is sad enough to grapple with this question).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We too have got the original (2008!) Gore-tex Brandrup liner. I't's been absolutely brilliant - keeps out the cold and the wind. The original sticking of it around the internal frame came undone in a few places over the years, but I keep a roll of two-sided carpet tape in the boot, which repairs it well. It took a while for me to realise that you didn't need to unhook it to bring down the roof! So it can stay in position permanently.

Having never used a roof topper wrap thingamy I’m a bit at a loss how to choose the best solution, and could do with knowing the difference. It’s for my 10 year old to sleep in, and for those times when we want to all gather with the roof up and feel snug in the lower part.

Which is easiest to take down?

Is the external one best, to avoid bellows damage? (Is 68 beach so will still cost a lot to repair, I’d have thought).

Is the internal one best?

Sometimes George won’t be with me, so any insights into handling on your own as a short middle aged woman would be great.

Apologies if this has been covered. It might be my newness to Tapatalk but I can’t find the life of me find a comparison thread. (It’s just possible that no one is sad enough to grapple with this question).

we have an external , which is great, But single handed could be a difficulty to attach on your own, in high winds forget it.

We used to have the Comfortz topper but found it awkward to fit and hated the flapping in the wind. Changed to a Pucer wrap which I can fit single handed, (folding stool helps but not essential). Because it fits inside the struts there is no noise and it provides good insulation.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Love the internal isotop….. Its just there, stop and set up without getting out of the van, great when it's chucking it down and dark. Better sleep as it's darker in the summer months. Now wet topper to pack up and not another thing to stow when traveling, I couldn't do the topper on my own.

We had a T4 California for 9 years and have our current T5 for coming up to 10. We have never had anything up at the top and, even in high winds and rain never had a problem.
I did consider it in the early days but thought it better to try first and see if we actually needed one and we never did.
if I were a short middle aged lady that is what I would do, try it first and see.
Finally, f I did need one it would be an internal one that only need to be fixed once.
Hope that helps

So many fab answers! Thank you everyone!

Back