Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Room for Tailgate opening

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
How much room do you need from the rear bumper to say a wall in order to lift the tailgate easily standing at the rear ?? I'm increasing the length of my drive by moving a hedge back to accommodate my new T6.1 Ocean (when it eventually arrives) and I want to make sure there is enough room to open the tailgate. Thanks

Not measuring anything, I'd guess around 2 metres. Otherwise you are having to move within the door space in order to open and close.

Also I see many disabled vehicles etc where they have a sticker on the rear door asking that other motorists leave at least 2 Metres clearance when parking.

The 2 m guess seems right as a minimum, if you do the math. The total hight of the van is 299 cm and if I'm not mistaken, the distance between the ground and the tailgate is 57 cm, meaning the tailgate is about 142 cm. Add some space to stand behind it while opening and 2 m seems the minimum to be able to use it normally.

I just measured, it takes at least 125 cm from the rear bumper to the wall. 150 cm would be better.

It's always about 3 feet more than I anticipate! ;)

Back