Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust marks around cooker

here's mine. 4 years old and cooked many bacon butties on it. I use a cloth or wet wipe on the grease. Then Johnson's baby oil . Get it back to the dealer and show them what it should look like after 4 years and lots of use.

View attachment 64605

Do you just use a baby wipe to clean the grease is that? I’ve just used fairy liquid and water and a small kitchen sponge. Can’t believe how bad, so thanks for this photo!

Is there anything you could have dripped or left on there on there, there are a number of things that make stainless steel rust including: Sea water, Milton sterilizing mixture and leaving some "ordinary" steel touching it.
I’m pretty careful. Only use it for cooking, then clean with Fairy liquid and water. Nothing else at all! No moisture in van and tops have been closed over the cooker when not in use. Inside sink ok, just all around the edges and cooker surface.

If you are still under warranty I would take it back before you try cleaning it with anything other than soap and water, otherwise you run the risk of them saying you made it worse.

However, if you are looking to clean it, a car detailing iron fallout remover may do a decent job, something like Autoglym Magma. It's specifically designed to remove iron contamination from paintwork and wheels and is ph neutral. Always test on a small bit first.
thanks for this. I took it to a vw repair centre and they said they don’t really deal with this, as in NI there are so few they have probably no experience! Said it could be through use, I jumped on that remark!! They are to get back to me after speaking with VW.

thanks for this. I took it to a vw repair centre and they said they don’t really deal with this, as in NI there are so few they have probably no experience! Said it could be through use, I jumped on that remark!! They are to get back to me after speaking with VW.
I regularly use WD40 to remove stains and grease marks from our stainless steel hob at home. Its flammable so I spray a little onto a piece of kitchen roll to use as a wipe. Always clean in the same direction to avoid scratches and swirls. I think I'd try this if we had the same problem in our Cali. (there's also a wd40 rust soak spray too). But best solution would be rectification through the dealer.

We've had ours 12 months from new but not yet used the burners yet so no idea how it cleans up. I have a feeling we will soon as our son is using it in Wales at the moment!

I regularly use WD40 to remove stains and grease marks from our stainless steel hob at home. Its flammable so I spray a little onto a piece of kitchen roll to use as a wipe. Always clean in the same direction to avoid scratches and swirls. I think I'd try this if we had the same problem in our Cali. (there's also a wd40 rust soak spray too). But best solution would be rectification through the dealer.

We've had ours 12 months from new but not yet used the burners yet so no idea how it cleans up. I have a feeling we will soon as our son is using it in Wales at the moment!
12 month and not even used the burners. ! Sounds like fun

I would be fearful to use something flammable!! Will look into them though as struggling to find solution

My Calis is only 8months old. When i bought it 4 months ago thwre were just a couple of wee what looked like rust marks in the gas cooker area. Just last week, and i use it every weekend, i opened the glass lids to find this! I was appalled and disbelief.

What should i be cleaning this with or is this a fault? What the heck?! All advice welcome!

View attachment 64559

View attachment 64560
Is there not still a plastic film on there that should've been removed?
When i zoom into the pics its not looking smooth.
Ive just had a look at mine and its mint, yours is definitely a defect and
should be changed.

Is there not still a plastic film on there that should've been removed?
When i zoom into the pics its not looking smooth.
Ive just had a look at mine and its mint, yours is definitely a defect and
should be changed.
No plastic that i can see or feel. It feels smooth even over the rusted bits. Sadly 2 garages from pictures have said its surface rust not covered under warranty. Im absolutely disgusted and heart broken! I have one more option of a garage to go to in person, and if theyvsay the same i have to escalate the complaint to vw customer care. Just dont know what to attempt to clean it with. Think maybe wd40 on a small patch and see as i’m losing faith!! I bought a cali as i thought i would get well looked after if any issues!! And went the extra mile for a nearly new van to ensure no issue!! What was the point!!

On mine there are some marks that the washing up bowl
has made in the sink, but no rust, mine is 14yrs old.IMG_8968.JPG

Maybe customer care and ask them for a contact in Hannover at the
factory.

Privat - tick

Herr - Mr.

Titel - are you a Doctor,

Vorname - first name

Nachname - surname

Wie dürfen wir Sie kontaktieren? - email is easier

Then fill in your email and complain demanding that something is done.

Privat - tick

Herr - Mr.

Titel - are you a Doctor,

Vorname - first name

Nachname - surname

Wie dürfen wir Sie kontaktieren? - email is easier

Then fill in your email and complain demanding that something is done.
Thank you for this! I will try the garage about an hour away from me, and if no joy then I will contact VW customer care, I will get in touch with them! Thanks for this!

Back