Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink and cooker 'rust'

Spitfire

Spitfire

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
A few weeks ago, we came back from a long trip and cleaned the Cali. For the first time today, I opened the worktop and was shocked to find what looks like rust over 20-30% of the surface of the cooker and sink. I'm at a loss to understand what's going on - we didn't do anything differently as far as we know and we've never had issues before. I've tried kitchen cleaners and they help a bit, but I don't want to be too aggressive. Before I try other things, I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and found a way of cleaning the surface?

Isn't it stainless steel? We have a specific stainless steel cleaner we use every now and then on the kitchen sink at home...

Isn't it stainless steel? We have a specific stainless steel cleaner we use every now and then on the kitchen sink at home...
I think it might be, in which case that would probably do the trick, thank you. I was worried it might be aluminium, which wouldn't like stainless steel cleaner.

I no longer own a Cali but had a similar issue on a different van. Bar Keepers Friend (available from Amazon, Lakeland and,no doubt, others) bought it up like new.

A few weeks ago, we came back from a long trip and cleaned the Cali. For the first time today, I opened the worktop and was shocked to find what looks like rust over 20-30% of the surface of the cooker and sink. I'm at a loss to understand what's going on - we didn't do anything differently as far as we know and we've never had issues before. I've tried kitchen cleaners and they help a bit, but I don't want to be too aggressive. Before I try other things, I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and found a way of cleaning the surface?
Hi, im wondering if you resolved the rust problem? Ive had the same thing happen. Not sure what to clean with. Took to vw and they said not a warranty issue. Its only 8months old and minimal use

Have a look in the forums to see if anyone else has had it done under warranty. If so, you can go show it to them.

Have a look in the forums to see if anyone else has had it done under warranty. If so, you can go show it to them.
I can’t find anyone else. One guy i noticed - i messaged but no reply. So far they arw saying surface rust isnt a warranty issue. Im disgusted.

I can’t find anyone else. One guy i noticed - i messaged but no reply. So far they arw saying surface rust isnt a warranty issue. Im disgusted.
Contact VW Customer Services , send them photos and ask them to intervene.

Contact VW Customer Services , send them photos and ask them to intervene.
I spoke with them and they said they had to get answers from 2 centres re the problem. After that i can escalate the complaint. Waiting on the garage i bought it from in England to respond. Needless to say im very disappointed that apparently this looks not a warranty issue!

Yeah, I would be too. I would be going nuts at them. Keep pestering them T-ster and don’t let it go. They may end up doing it as a “goodwill gesture”.

Yeah, I would be too. I would be going nuts at them. Keep pestering them T-ster and don’t let it go. They may end up doing it as a “goodwill gesture”.
If i could get a reply. Ive now noticed a scrath on the glass cover for the cooker and in the feidge. We are so careful, never set anything hard down in them and use stucky mats for protection. Im gutted all this is happening!

We've had two California's, neither of them suffered from rust on the stainless steel sink. Stainless steel should not rust, therefore IMO, if under warranty, it should be replaced.
On the otherhand, a scratched glass top can only be down to owner use. We found you have to be very careful of pottery mugs that might have a sharp piece of glaze on the bottom. Just have a supply of beer mats available.

Back