Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Saggy Bum

The problem here is some suspension shops are telling people that on a California if the floor is level and the rear arch gap is lower as designed, the suspension is wrong and negatively affects steering, and then sell these trusting clients rear spring spacers which leave the rear jacked up in the air. This gives a higher center of gravity at the rear of a heavy vehicle, which is the last thing any shop should be promoting.

To put it clearly, if the floor of the van is level, the rear arch gap will be lower than the front gap. If the front and rear gaps are equal, the rear of the van will be 40-50mm higher than the front. This is normal on an empty Transporter, which will come down when loaded, but not on a van loaded with California equipment, which should be level for handling reasons as well as bed and kitchen configurations.

100% correct.

T32 springs sorts this quickly and easily.

Cali's do sag at the rear, don't let someone tell you they don't....just get under one and see the spring compression when fully loaded....far from ideal.

Fitting 32 springs makes them ride much better and level.

Take it to an MOT station fully loaded and test the light height....it will Just about be within tolerance, but only just. T32 springs put that light height just perfect.

T32 springs sorts this quickly and easily.

Cali's do sag at the rear, don't let someone tell you they don't....just get under one and see the spring compression when fully loaded....far from ideal.

Take it to an MOT station fully loaded and test the light height....it will Just about be within tolerance, but only just. T32 springs put that light height just perfect.
If fully loaded and No front seat or rear seat passengers, possibly.
Mine, loaded with passengers, wheel centre to wheel arch is greater on the front compared to rear BUT wheel centre to coach line is equal front and rear, with kitchen top, floor and side cill all perfectly horizontal.

If fully loaded and No front seat or rear seat passengers, possibly.
Mine, loaded with passengers, wheel centre to wheel arch is greater on the front compared to rear BUT wheel centre to coach line is equal front and rear, with kitchen top, floor and side cill all perfectly horizontal.
I'm guessing by the amount that have the rear saggy look that they are loaded rear heavy. It's not a good look and compared to vans where suspension is changed and upgraded the fitters always have vans 'looking' level. Obviously the arch gaps are different but the vans look level.

Cali's in general never look level and can look awful when loaded with bikes etc.

View attachment 86061What’s the best cure for a saggy arse? Siekel seems a bit extreme .. anyone got any experience of a bum lift?
Some 21mm spacers above the rubber mounts did just the trick for me. Readily available and about £23 from memory. They lifted the rear about 30mm.

If you read through the thread, members have said. It’s not sag. It’s an optical illusion. The van is level.

D1AF9155-13EB-4749-8D0E-EEAF40E24F11.jpeg
I don’t have any better pictures to show.
Above is pre-suspension change (standard), level.
Bottom pic, last week. Other than the bikes, the van is loaded.

You can see in the bottom pic. The van loaded isn’t level and rake forward. The spacers have over compensated and hence why they’re getting removed.

View attachment 86126
I don’t have any better pictures to show.
Above is pre-suspension change (standard), level.
Bottom pic, last week. Other than the bikes, the van is loaded.

You can see in the bottom pic. The van loaded isn’t level and rake forward. The spacers have over compensated and hence why they’re getting removed.
I don't know why people don't do the measurements rather than just going on looks.
Function over Form.Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 14.36.36.jpg

Attachments

• pdf-technische-zeichnung-transporter-T6-kombi-DE-EN-03-2016.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 52
The correct method for measuring is with a level gauge on the for/aft chassis rails underneath relative to a known horizontal.

Even coilovers won't get 100% level as still on steel springs that are load dependent.
Only air based suspension can be 100% level.

I know --- nit picking!
Ever heard of pre-load?

Even coilovers won't get 100% level as still on steel springs that are load dependent.
Only air based suspension can be 100% level.

I know --- nit picking!

I know a guy with air ride on his T5.
Biggest/expensive mistake he’s ever made with a motor vehicle.
His words not mine…

If you read through the thread, members have said. It’s not sag. It’s an optical illusion. The van is level.
Get underneath one when loaded and measure the jacking points.... The rear are about 15mm lower than they should be.

On a standard Caravelle they sit near level give or take 5mm. On a loaded Cali the rear 100% sags.

Google... California rear Sag. So so common. All conversions do it too, too much weight over the rear on standard springs.

4 bikes, 2 rear passengers and luggage...take a peak at the spring compression, then I'll show you the same van with 32 springs on the back. I know which I'd rather be in doing 70mph on an bumpy motorway section.

Get underneath one when loaded and measure the jacking points.... The rear are about 15mm lower than they should be.

On a standard Caravelle they sit near level give or take 5mm. On a loaded Cali the rear 100% sags.

Google... California rear Sag. So so common. All conversions do it too, too much weight over the rear on standard springs.

4 bikes, 2 rear passengers and luggage...take a peak at the spring compression, then I'll show you the same van with 32 springs on the back. I know which I'd rather be in doing 70mph on an bumpy motorway section.
No one is saying that the vans should not be level, except for suspension shops like CRS Performance who are telling their customers on the T6 forum that any fully loaded van that hasn’t had the rear raised 40-50mm over the front, in order to have front and rear wheel arch gap equal, is unsafe.

Last edited:

What about the 2 front passengers? Another 100+ Kgms on the front axle. I presume you have front passengers when doing your 70 mph down the motorway?

What about the 2 front passengers? Another 100+ Kgms on the front axle.
Although at age 65 my partner and I both weigh exactly the same as we did in our 20s, we are hopeful that the anti-gravity front comfort seats will soon be available on the Spanish configurator...

No one is saying that the vans should not be level, except for suspension shops like CRS Performance who are telling their customers on the T6 forum that any fully loaded van that hasn’t had the rear raised 40-50mm over the front, in order to have front and rear wheel arch gap equal, is unsafe.
My first hand experience of CRS differs @clarinetbcn as when they supplied and fitted my suspension it was not set up with the rear raised 40-50mm higher at the rear, nor did they suggest at any point it should be.

My first hand experience of CRS differs @clarinetbcn as when they supplied and fitted my suspension it was not set up with the rear raised 40-50mm higher at the rear, nor did they suggest at any point it should be.
"If Cali owners want to drive a van with compromised steering feel so that the floor is level when parked up , I guess they can."