Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sandy Balls, New Forest

M

Markm

VIP Member
anybody been to Sandy Balls? Whats it like? Whats to do? Kids are 13 & 11, we are thinking of going

I booked the whole family into a couple of lodges last year and all I can say I would do it all again
Lots to do, friendly staff, clean and well laid out site with choice of restaurants

Alan

Went here most years as a kid and visited earlier this year with friends for a couple of nights. We stayed in one of the log cabin thingies and enjoyed it.

The site is very well organised and has all the facilities. Everything is clean and we found the staff friendly. We're without kids but a lot of people did have them and they all seemed happy.

The area is quite bike friendly (that's why we went) so maybe try and get out and about for a cycle, it's a lovely part of the world.

- also, I may be 34 but the site name still makes me snigger. That's got to be a plus!

Looks like a nice site but it should be for nearly £70 per night, yes £70!!! ( priced up with the kids and dog)

Camping prices are becoming ludicrous!!

Trouble is it isn't really a campsite. In their own words it's a 'Holiday Village' that also has camping space. It's largely cabins and static caravans.

They've set it up so you could actually spend a few days there without ever leaving site (it has it's own leisure centre and restaurants). Turns out you pay a premium for that!

We stayed here last summer for a few nights, back then it was £55 per night, looks like it has gone up yet again as I have just priced up a week and comes to £460:shocked

It is a nice clean site but it is very busy and the swimming pool is too small for the amount of people, they not only have 100's of touring pitches but they have lodges aswell.

We now much prefer the camping in the Forest sites nearby

Been to Sandy Balls as a location many times as its where they hold a number of triathlons and running races. Never camped there though as close to home and wouldn't want or use (or pay for) all the holiday Village facilities they have.
For a much more basic site have a look at Toms Field about a mile up the road. There is also the Red Shoot camping (behind the Red Shoot pub) in Linwood a few miles south, that is very nice (I have stayed here).
That area is mostly walking, mountain biking (on quite tame gravel paths) or road riding on relatively quiet roads. (although the road outside Sandy Balls down to Fordingbridge wouldn't be much fun for young children).
Path between Blissford and Fritham is popular and Royal Oak in Fritham good (but very small).
Ellingham Lake is nearby which is a watersking lake. Not sure if you need to book though.

Looks like a nice site but it should be for nearly £70 per night, yes £70!!! ( priced up with the kids and dog)

Camping prices are becoming ludicrous!!

You can say that again! Prices seem rather crazy at some sites, yet very reasonable at others. I tried to book a site today to catch up with my parents who are holidaying in Tenby with my nephews and my brother. I wanted to stay for 2 nights at a site on the touring field, and they wanted £217 for 2 adults and 2 dogs in a Beach. :eek: 2 nights!!! A b&b would be cheaper for a stay twice that! They may have amazing facilities and entertainment for kids etc, which is probably why. However I just want somewhere to park my van, sleep and shower each morning. ;)

Suffice to say I booked a site 3 miles away that was £30 all in, including EHU and wifi..

They seem to really take the mickey when the kids are on summer hols too.

Last edited:
As soon as you go £50+ per night you may as well book into a B&B and get breakfast as well